CASTLES IN THE AIR THAT EXPLODED

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Himmelstrand
Wolfchild

Re: CASTLES IN THE AIR THAT EXPLODED

Post by Wolfchild » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:58 pm

snaps wrote:
Wolfchild wrote: Now, however, I kind of get a kick out of it when you post statements like this. Seriously, it just doesn't get old. I don't know why you keep doing it, but please don't stop. :lol:
I am delighted to brighten up your life, as always. :) Anyway, lets try to salvage something pleasant here. :D

Readers will probably be aware of the existence of ''Yellow Bird'' the production company behind LTROI, The Larsson 'Millenium Trilogy'' , both British and Swedish versions of the ''Wallander'' series.

One interesting feature is that they do consider initial ''pitches'' by anyone, for new ideas, providing they don't exceed 200 words. (a tall order!) but that might be a useful and interesting writing exercise for the many talented FF writers on here. Imagine pitching your prequel or sequel to LTROI/ LDRKI but keeping your summary to less than 200 words. :think:

More details on here: http://www.yellowbird.se/index.php?opti ... 1&Itemid=3
I can find no mention of LDRKI on their web site. It is not clear how rights issues could be resolved if someone wanted to submit a script using characters from LDKRI without showing some path to acquire the rights from JAL (if Yellow Bird does not already have the rights to them). In fact, JAL himself has given guidance to people here on this very topic:
Just wanted to let you know that I´m fine and dandy with it. As long as no profit is made, and it´s clear that I am not the author...
However, if someone submitted a pitch that Yellow Bird liked enough, it would seem that they are offering to explore the rights issue themselves:
If you have a script or project idea that you would like to present to us, please follow the instructions below:
  • Describe the plot in your script or the main features of your project idea (maximum 200 words).
  • Specify the genre (crime, comedy, drama etcetera).
  • Specify the format (feature film, TV series etcetera).
  • Describe yourself, your experience and merits (maximum 200 words).
Put all the information above (written in English or Swedish) in an e-mail and send it to submissions@yellowbird.se

Please note that we do not wish to receive any entire scripts, treatments or similar in this first instance.

If we believe that what you have presented is of interest to Yellow Bird, we will get back to you as soon as we can. Please note that we receive a lot of submissions and can therefore not guarantee any response.
I don't know about the US or international rights, where JAL may have sold them lock, stock, and barrel, to Hammer/Relativity, but barring that, John owns Oskar and Eli.

Even so, it would be cool if one of The Infected were to submit something.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

snaps

Post by snaps » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Wolfchild wrote:
I don't know about the US or international rights, where JAL may have sold them lock, stock, and barrel, to Hammer/Relativity, but barring that, John owns Oskar and Eli.

Even so, it would be cool if one of The Infected were to submit something.
It is indeed a massively complex legal area. Last year, I wrote, for the Swedish press, an article about a Swedish self-publisher and POD (print-on-demand) printer who produced a kind-of sequel to J.D. Salinger's 'Catcher In The Rye'. J.D. who is famous for being a recluse, came out of retirement to present a literary legal challenge.

Many were gob-smacked to find that the international legal ruling was that, given that J.D. had produced no direct sequel, and that the fiction was Holden Caulfield looking back Does JAL really 'own' Oskar and Eli? in perpetuity?

I know JAL is involved, and has evolved his literary work. But LTROI is what he is best known for. Maybe like Arthur Conan Doyle he will be haunted to the point of wishing to ‘kill off ’ his own created characters? I hope not.

There is much good fanfic here. The sensible way ahead, to me, would seem to be approach JAL directly. LTROI has a marketable caché.

Alex Patterson has produced many a good work, in combination with other ‘guest’ writers. Some of the fanfic I have read on here certainly merits that level of attention.

Test the waters? Maybe? Certainly, I think all these things are possibilities. If f not for me then, for other wti.

snaps

Much love.

varamiglite

Post by varamiglite » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:41 pm

I've kind of considered pursuing publishing rights, although I have no desire to make my story into a movie. If and/or when I do I plan to overhaul the main character to make him "not Eli." He will share characteristics with Eli, mainly being a child vampire, but he won't be Eli. I've altered the Eliverse too much for it to really be a prequel or have much association with LTROI at all. I've thought about it and it would be fairly easy to make enough plot changes and switcheroos to make my story "inspired by Eli" without having to actually be Eli. I wouldn't do it to be a rogue or a rip-off artist, I just wouldn't want to be disrespectful to JAL by altering his ideas.
slog tillbaka. hårt.

snaps

Post by snaps » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:13 pm

varamiglite wrote:I've kind of considered pursuing publishing rights, although I have no desire to make my story into a movie. If and/or when I do I plan to overhaul the main character to make him "not Eli." He will share characteristics with Eli, mainly being a child vampire, but he won't be Eli. I've altered the Eliverse too much for it to really be a prequel or have much association with LTROI at all. I've thought about it and it would be fairly easy to make enough plot changes and switcheroos to make my story "inspired by Eli" without having to actually be Eli. I wouldn't do it to be a rogue or a rip-off artist, I just wouldn't want to be disrespectful to JAL by altering his ideas.
I have followed your fanfic, to the point where I know this is not some slavish, predictable, so-so re-hashing of plot sublines. Your work, and I won't break confidences, I know is a direct product of personal experience. Likewise, I know that JAL is not some demi-God, nor considers himself as such. For a minute, I don't think JAL would look down on you as being the kind of person you are. You ARE ALL of us, with your own distinctive take on life. Your work is close to the edge, dosn't make necessarily for 'comfortable' reading, but is in tune with the vibe of LTROI.

My guessing is that JAL himself, knows he has opened up a can of worms. He won't diss you, maybe even give you a few pointers?

snapsie

snaps

Post by snaps » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:50 pm

abner_mohl wrote:I thought EFTI and not Yellow Bird was responsible for LTROI, was there some kind of partnership between the two I never heard of?
TBH I don't know. :oops: Ima more interesed in the creative side of production than the financial details. I guess, like any film production these days, it's a risky business. Best to spread the load/risk. I believe EFTI are the number crunchers and bean counters, rather than Yellow Bird who are the creative end of the operation.

Guess you may find out more on : http://www.efti.se/efti/Home.html

snaps

Post by snaps » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:10 pm

metoo wrote:This is a very strange thread. What is it all about?
I duuno. :? Search me. :cry:

Basically, I posted something. It was removed by a Moderator on the LTROI/ wti site last night, with neither warning nor explanation.

When I requested a reason, I was told, Quote: ''Your posting was removed due to it's political nature,..'' Really? :evil:

I invite you, or anyone else on here to judge for yourself. I have moved it to another website. This is it: http://showmelove.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 600#p23600

We Swedish people are really awful. :D I mean, for Goodness sake, anyone would think that LDRKI was written by a Swedish person :lol:

JToede

Post by JToede » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:49 pm

snaps wrote:We Swedish people are really awful. :D :lol:
Oh snaps,
your just a trouble maker ;)
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:06 am

snaps wrote:I believe EFTI are the number crunchers and bean counters, rather than Yellow Bird who are the creative end of the operation.

Guess you may find out more on : http://www.efti.se/efti/Home.html
Now I'm a little bit annoyed. I like the folks at EFTI. On the occasions when I have contacted them, they have been polite and reasonably helpful. Without EFTI, there would be no Låt den rätte komma in. EFTI managed to secure for Tomas a financing that was roughly double what the common budget was for Swedish films at that time. Yet you want to callously dismiss them as "number crunchers and bean counters" in favor of this company Yellow Bird, which is mentioned nowhere - nowhere - in connection with this film.

What exactly did Yellow Bird do? Where are they mentioned as having done anything at all for LDKRI?
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

snaps

Post by snaps » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:16 pm

Wolfchild wrote: What exactly did Yellow Bird do? Where are they mentioned as having done anything at all for LDKRI?
OK, OK don't bite me head off :D I stand corrected and bow to your superior knowledge. I watch so many European continental films and Scandinavian ones in particular, I must have got my wires crossed on this one. I think I got it mixed up with Momentum who do a lot for distribution. I'm not knocking EFTI, far from it. As you say, without the money = no film. Film-making is a high risk venture, so without the ability to draw in money and cross-resourcing, smaller countries find it difficult to get finance for projects.

I wouldn't knock 'Yellow Bird' either. A major player in getting YB up-and-running was Swedish author Henning Mankell. It was sales of Mankell's books that originally turned around the fortunes of Ordfront. In turn, it is Ordfront that promoted the writing career of JAL.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:42 am

snaps wrote:I wouldn't knock 'Yellow Bird' either. A major player in getting YB up-and-running was Swedish author Henning Mankell. It was sales of Mankell's books that originally turned around the fortunes of Ordfront. In turn, it is Ordfront that promoted the writing career of JAL.
OK, if you're saying nice things about Ordfront, then all is forgiven. The people at Ordfront that I have corresponded with have been uniformly pleasant, polite, and helpful. I likes them. :wub:

I understand they were also very cordial to a group of Infected who paid them a visit a while back.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

Return to “I Am Behind You”