TV show?

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Lilla Stjärna
CyberGhostface

TV show?

Post by CyberGhostface » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:36 am

http://www.wildernessfilms.us/

Haven't been able to find anything else on it.
No banaaaanas?

JToede

Re: TV show?

Post by JToede » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:36 am

He doing it smartly, by working with John on his story. Direct from the source.
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:51 pm

Actually I'm surprised. I was afraid that recent events would make it difficult to bring this to the screen.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:49 pm

First Border, now Little Star? Wow. This is excellent news.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:52 am

Yea.Hope it gets to Australia. :)
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Glad it's a miniseries and not a film. I've been thinking a lot about how it could be adapted and if it was just one movie you'd probably have to chop out most of the first half of the book.
No banaaaanas?

wooster

Post by wooster » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:45 am

Looks promising.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:00 am

Some updates on this, the first from the "Upcoming productions" section on John's site:
John worked on Little Star as a 4 x 1 hour TV series for about a year. Some episodes had gotten as far as version 17 when the TV company in question unexpectedly pulled out. Now the screenplay is lying unused, but there is some interest from the west.
John: "This is probably the most convoluted job I've ever gotten myself into. So many turns, so many meetings, so many rewrites. Many nice ideas and connecting elements appeared in the process, so the screenplay is good, but I don't know if it was worth the time."
And a more recent one from his January 13 live event on Instagram:
Someone would like to see Little Star as a film. So would I, and that might happen because... maybe I'm getting careless, but this isn't particularly public. Thea Hvistendahl, the Norwegian director who's going to be making Handling the Undead, originally wanted to do Little Star. That's the one she's most attached to, but at the time it was being made into a TV series for HBO. We worked on it for a year, it was a ton of work, and in the end, after revision number 17 on some episodes—it was 4 x 1 hour—they pulled out. So if Handling the Undead turns out good and Thea wants to, she may end up doing Little Star.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:37 am

'Lilla stjärna' for television, as four one-hour presentations, works in my mind. But first I wonder if it would be good to build the story in the same way as done in the novel.

The novel builds one character and then rewinds and builds the second. That would seem to give for two one-hour episodes: one for each.
Then a building episode as Theresa & Theres end build their friendship, transitioning this into the finale episode where it builds to the same climax as the book.

Would it be better, though, to introduce Theresa and Theres from the start, winding their stories across the two first hours as separate threads, even though they do not meet until the third episode?

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:18 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:37 am
'Lilla stjärna' for television, as four one-hour presentations, works in my mind. But first I wonder if it would be good to build the story in the same way as done in the novel.

The novel builds one character and then rewinds and builds the second. That would seem to give for two one-hour episodes: one for each.
Then a building episode as Theresa & Theres end build their friendship, transitioning this into the finale episode where it builds to the same climax as the book.

Would it be better, though, to introduce Theresa and Theres from the start, winding their stories across the two first hours as separate threads, even though they do not meet until the third episode?
My gut feeling is that it'd be better to follow the structure of the book and only introduce Teresa in the second episode. It might be distracting to jump back and forth between the two during the first two episodes since there's nothing connecting them until Theres' Idol audition. Also, while Theres' story has an obvious midway climax (killing Lennart and Laila) that could fit as the ending to her portion of the first episode, there's nothing on the same level for Teresa that I can think of. Admittedly it's been a while since I read the book, so maybe I'm forgetting something obvious.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Return to “Little Star”