Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
gkmoberg1

Re: Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:21 am

PeteMork wrote:This is an interesting scam exposure in and of itself, but most interesting is what occurs at 1:34 :P
1:34 . They really should not be doing holding that kid down like that. Besides it not being a very nice thing to do to, plus it being YAH a tad harmful to the child, err, I saw a movie once where somebody tried to do that. It didn't end well.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:53 am

GK and Pete, fascinating throughout.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:08 pm

Took that HBO freebee and watched season six of Game of Thrones. That catches me up except for some parts I missed somehow. :think:

I can wait another year or so to see new episodes. :)

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:38 pm

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)
A father and son, both coroners, are pulled into a complex mystery while attempting to identify the body of a young woman, who was apparently harboring dark secrets.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Two old movies about young lovers who must overcome obstacles to be together. Sound familiar?

Lisa and David. Here the obstacle is mental illness. David the main character has dread fear of human contact and he gradually opens up to schizophrenic Lisa "the pearl of a girl." Despite being clunky and overacted, this is a simply told story that reminds me of Oskar and Eli.

A Little Romance. Young lovers run away from their parents to Venice to kiss under the Bridge of Sighs. This has been compared to Moonrise Kingdom. Basically this is a comedy with some cartoonish characters, especially Laurence Olivier as Julius. I did find the scenes between Lauren and Daniel to be very touching.

This was directed by George Roy Hill (as he keeps reminding us during the movie). The same guy who directed Slapshot. :o A Little Romance probably did not make as much money as Slapshot but I think it was Hill's best effort.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:39 am

Just finished the new X-Men dvd.Logan.I thought it was going to be a bit of amusing "fluff" but it was much better than I thought it was going to be.The biggest surprise was the little girl in it.Daphne Keen.She is very "Eli - esque" and looks very similar.She plays the killer child war machine and looks very vicious when she does it.(not like our Eli that cries).Worth a look just for the killer child war machine with the proviso that my wife hated it.Thought it was too gory for her taste and Daphne's acting doesn't even come close to Linas .
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:27 am

Lips of Blood (1975). Directed by Jean Rollin. A somewhat silly vampire movie with gratuitous nudity and great atmosphere, but a kind of sweet childhood romance story at its core which is why I liked it.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:39 am

Maudie and Dunkirk.

My first Christopher Nolan movie. Consider what he did with Dunkirk:

1) No big Hollywood Stars.

2) An obscure historical subject at least for Americans

3) An unorthodox narrative structure. Nolan described it as "experimental."

All that and still making the big bucks! To be fair I think he minimized the violence to get a bigger audience.

I found most of the sea and air scenes to be very convincing. Some of the ship wreck scenes reminded of the old World War II novel The Cruel Sea.

Nisa

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:27 am

gattoparde59 wrote:Maudie and Dunkirk.

My first Christopher Nolan movie. Consider what he did with Dunkirk:

1) No big Hollywood Stars.

2) An obscure historical subject at least for Americans

3) An unorthodox narrative structure. Nolan described it as "experimental."

All that and still making the big bucks! To be fair I think he minimized the violence to get a bigger audience.

I found most of the sea and air scenes to be very convincing. Some of the ship wreck scenes reminded of the old World War II novel The Cruel Sea.
Just got home from watching Dunkirk myself! Really enjoyed it, thought it was excellent.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:00 pm

Manhunt: Unabomber.

They took an historical event and translated it into pop culture terms. In this case they lifted plot from the several Hannibal Lecter stories, especially Manhunter with William Peterson and the remake Red Dragon with Edward Norton. I definitely thought of those movies while watching this series. Oh, and of course Silence of the Lambs.

Nisa

Return to “Off Topic”