Another LTROI Review

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
PeteMork

Re: Another LTROI Review

Post by PeteMork » Fri May 19, 2017 6:03 am

sauvin wrote:
cmfireflies wrote:Geeze you guys need to lighten up. Eli's not going to kill herself if Oskar didn't come with...she's stronger than that. Plus being suicidal is not a healthy basis for a relationship. All she did was stick around and follow Oskar to keep her promise. I prefer to think that her delayed entrance was due to the fact that Eli was finagling an invitation from the kid she didn't kill. That's all. If Oskar was fine, she'd would have left. If Oskar didn't want to leave with her, that'll be sad, but she understands.
What, prey tell (heh, heh, heh) is a "healthy" basis for a relationship with a vampire?
:lol: :lol:
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

metoo

Post by metoo » Fri May 19, 2017 7:02 am

cmfireflies wrote:Geeze you guys need to lighten up. Eli's not going to kill herself if Oskar didn't come with...she's stronger than that.
Perhaps. But in the novel Eli contemplated suicide, and apparently had done so before.
cmfireflies wrote:Plus being suicidal is not a healthy basis for a relationship.
Seems plausible. However, it is also plausible that Eli's thoughts on suicide would disappear in the presence of Oskar.
cmfireflies wrote:All she did was stick around and follow Oskar to keep her promise. I prefer to think that her delayed entrance was due to the fact that Eli was finagling an invitation from the kid she didn't kill. That's all. If Oskar was fine, she'd would have left. If Oskar didn't want to leave with her, that'll be sad, but she understands.
I think Eli didn't stick around, for at least two reasons:
  • It would be to betray Oskar. If Eli stayed, why making Oskar believe the opposite?
  • It would be far too dangerous.
As per the novel, Eli's plan was to travel a substantial distance, and I think he did exactly that.
Then, I think, he stayed at this new place for a few nights, until he couldn't stand the loneliness anymore and returned, plausibly on his own wings. He didn't arrive until when he did because he had a long way to go.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Fri May 19, 2017 7:22 am

How much time elapsed between her departure and her return?
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

metoo

Post by metoo » Fri May 19, 2017 7:35 am

sauvin wrote:How much time elapsed between her departure and her return?
I Assume you refer to Eli leaving and returning to Blackeberg.
In the novel, Eli departed on Monday the 9th, and returned on Thursday the 12th.

If instead you refer to at what hour Eli left from wherever he went and what hour he showed up at the bath house:
In the Stockholm area in November the sun would set at around half past three, which would be the earliest departure time.
When Oskar left home for the first training session, he first told his mum he would be back at half past eight, which would suggest the training ended around eight o'clock. This would also be the time when Eli arrived at the bath house.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Fri May 19, 2017 11:48 am

metoo wrote:
sauvin wrote:How much time elapsed between her departure and her return?
I Assume you refer to Eli leaving and returning to Blackeberg.
In the novel, Eli departed on Monday the 9th, and returned on Thursday the 12th.

If instead you refer to at what hour Eli left from wherever he went and what hour he showed up at the bath house:
In the Stockholm area in November the sun would set at around half past three, which would be the earliest departure time.
When Oskar left home for the first training session, he first told his mum he would be back at half past eight, which would suggest the training ended around eight o'clock. This would also be the time when Eli arrived at the bath house.
Good detective work. I also tend to think Eli had left with no intentions of coming back. Didn't JAL mention somewhere that Eli was always honest with Oskar? Or was that just the majority opinion on the forum? :)
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

metoo

Post by metoo » Fri May 19, 2017 3:10 pm

PeteMork wrote: Good detective work.
Thanks!
PeteMork wrote:I also tend to think Eli had left with no intentions of coming back. Didn't JAL mention somewhere that Eli was always honest with Oskar? Or was that just the majority opinion on the forum? :)
Well, Eli wasn't always honest with Oskar, so JAL wouldn't have said that.

I think Eli started being honest when he understood that he didn't need to lie for Oskar to stay. The turning point would have been when Oskar appeared on Eli's doorstep in the middle of the night. From then on Eli was honest and told the truth. (Which is the major reason why I believe that Eli told the truth when he said that he had been given his money.)

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Sat May 20, 2017 3:07 am

sauvin wrote:
cmfireflies wrote:Geeze you guys need to lighten up. Eli's not going to kill herself if Oskar didn't come with...she's stronger than that. Plus being suicidal is not a healthy basis for a relationship. All she did was stick around and follow Oskar to keep her promise. I prefer to think that her delayed entrance was due to the fact that Eli was finagling an invitation from the kid she didn't kill. That's all. If Oskar was fine, she'd would have left. If Oskar didn't want to leave with her, that'll be sad, but she understands.
What, prey tell (heh, heh, heh) is a "healthy" basis for a relationship with a vampire?
Glad you asked! A healthy relationship would be based on mutual love and understanding, a healthy disdain towards the rest of humanity and a strong stomach for violence.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat May 20, 2017 3:17 am

I think Eli couldn't stand being away from Oskar and came back to watch him well before the pool scene.How could he throw away something that had been taken away from him centuries before.Friendship,childhood,love and acceptance.They've both had a profound effect on each other and by the end of the story have fallen deeply in love.As for suicide I think Eli was very close to doing it.Some may say that it's the easy way out, but others might say that it takes strength to see the writing on the wall and to not suffer the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune". 220 yrs of torture will do that to you. Stating the obvious.Eli saved Oskar but Oskar saved Eli too. :wub: PS.I love coming to this place and reading the opinions and interpretations of this wonderful story that we all love.
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue May 30, 2017 12:31 am

Here's a top 10 list from The Guardian, each film with a mini-review. LTROI is sandwiched between Vampyr and Nosferatu. Very good company.

The list is from 2013, but I don't recall ever seeing it posted here.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... ror-movies
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Tue May 30, 2017 2:29 am

Yes very good company.Just an instant classic.I've read lots of reviews and everyone has been super positive except one.It was done by a teenager dressed up like the girl in "the Ring".What a travesty.She missed the point completely and from memory even got the pronunciation of the characters and actors names wrong.Thanks for sharing Don. :D
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”