How many rereads?

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
Jameron

Re: How many rereads?

Post by Jameron » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:15 pm

dongregg wrote:Oh, I guess I have to mention that I just got LTROI the novel Saturday, so how many times have I read it? I'll let you know later when the count reaches 1. Reread? I'll come back to this thread when I do. :)
Good for you!

You won't regret it, I'm sure of it.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

banjoist123

Post by banjoist123 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:27 pm

gattoparde59 wrote:Try Daniel Woodrell, The Outlaw Album. No supernatural, but plenty of grim stuff set in Woodrell's native Ozarks.
Didn't he also write "Winter's Bone?" A great book also made into a great movie. (The first time I saw Jennifer Lawrence in anything.) I heard an interview with him on NPR talking about growing up in the Ozards where meth has replaced moonshine.

On topic: I'm on my 2nd re-read of the novel.
I want to close my eyes very tightly, concentrate, hear the sounds around me disappear, sense the night against my closed eyelids, feel snow flakes hit my cheeks, feel the cold of the jungle gym, and hear the sound of light approaching footsteps…

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:51 am

dongregg wrote:Oh, I guess I have to mention that I just got LTROI the novel Saturday, so how many times have I read it? I'll let you know later when the count reaches 1. Reread? I'll come back to this thread when I do. :)
Okay! The count reached 1 read. I'll be back when I reread it. Might be a while. I've put folded slips of paper in places that I will spend time with first.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:01 am

dongregg wrote:
Okay! The count reached 1 read. I'll be back when I reread it. Might be a while. I've put folded slips of paper in places that I will spend time with first.
I have lots of slips of paper in mine too, marking all the places that produced a lump in my throat and brought tears to my eyes. :wub:
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Wed May 03, 2017 1:38 am

I've sort of lost count of how many times I've read it.I still hang on every word.His use of language just presses all my buttons and he seems to remember how 12 year olds think and feel.I often look at kids talking to each other and think "what are you talking about?It seems so important".TAL seems to remember and transports me to when I was a kid.Also his descriptions of the other characters give me a real feel of who they are.It's not everyday you get a great book,then a magnificent movie and music in a package like this.Considering I'm not a fan of the horror genre at all I find it fascinating that I've fallen in love with not only the book but the movie and music as well. :wub:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed May 03, 2017 2:36 am

Still only one complete read. But I've gone back again and again to my marked passages. And now I have marked all the passages that mention streets, stores, towns, and so forth. Using Google Maps, I know the bus route Oskar took to his dad's. I know all the tunnelbana stops that the other characters take, when visiting Virginia in hospital, for example, or looking to pick up a couple of kronor.

Long before me, other forum members visited Blackeberg and posted photos. But I just did it from scratch, just me and Google Maps. I didn't even write any of it down. Just learned it.

I think JAL's description of the families first coming to Blackeberg (It's new! It's big! It's modern!) hold up very well compared to other writers. I've also marked a lot of beautifully written passages, such as Mr. Ávila ice skating at night.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:59 pm

dongregg wrote:Still only one complete read. But I've gone back again and again to my marked passages.
I have absolutely no idea how many times I've read the novel. But like you I've read so many sections out of order of the book. My copies are full of stick-on notes of all colors and for so many reasons. But if I count only front-to-end readings, then it is very few. But if I count the total amount read for any part, that is the opposite.

I do want to read it in Swedish, but finding it here would be like finding a rock from the moon. Many years ago metoo sent me a package of candies - part of his vampire candy offer. I should have had him buy and include a copy of the book. My mistake! Oh, and I remember that I was so sick that summer. I could have read it while recovering. My kids made off with most of the candy. They still talk about that. metoo, you made quite an impression on my family. You are kindly remembered!
dongregg wrote:I've also marked a lot of beautifully written passages, such as Mr. Ávila ice skating at night.
QFT :!:

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:56 pm

Relistening to the audiobook as I drive around.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:49 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:Many years ago metoo sent me a package of candies - part of his vampire candy offer. I should have had him buy and include a copy of the book.
Sure, the book wouldn't have made much difference on the size and weight of that package!
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:10 pm

I think I've read it cover-to-cover about three times. Various parts I've re-read from time to time back when I was writing some FF.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”