Chloe directed by TA

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

broken1

Chloe directed by TA

Post by broken1 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:37 am

Would you like to see Chloe directed by TA as opposed to MR?
"The only thing we'll have to fear, is the dawn as the night turns to day..."
-----"Stay" by Jeremey Hunsicker

"An open mind and an open heart are at once both the strongest and weakest qualities a person can have."
- Me

drakkar

Re: Chloe directed by TA

Post by drakkar » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:53 am

Firstly, welcome to the board, broken1.
I hold TA for a better director than MR, so as a departure point my answer would be yes. I've only seen Chloë in LMI, so I don't know how she's performed elsewhere. What TA achieved in LTROI, was to introduce the gist of the story to the lead child actors in a very encompassing way. This is much of the explanation why the film is so good - you wholeheartedly believe in the main charaters, because the actors do. If you watch interviews with Lina Leandersson (here's one): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWZwKm5xwZg, she talks about how she ceased to be Lina Leandersson, becoming Eli.

It would be fun to see if TA could do something similar together with Chloë. Now, Chloë has turned 17, so it might not be directly comparable. However, Ika Nord, playing Virginia in LTROI, has a diametrical opposite personality in real life. It's amazing how a person (dancer, juggler, actor) so bubbling with life and humour can play the life drained and dreary Virginia so well. I would like so see something equivalent with Chloë.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

broken1

Post by broken1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:12 am

Thank you for the welcome and I am glad to be here.

I haven't seen all of her movies yet, but what I find compelling is her ability to become the character she is portraying. My first introduction to her was Kick-Ass, as was much of the world, and to say she steals the show is an understatement. After seeing Kick-Ass, I watched The Poker House staring Jennifer Laurence of The Hunger Games in her first lead role, with Chloe playing her youngest sister. I think Chloe was probably 9-ish at the time, but she pretty much steals every scene she's in. It's quite remarkable how good she is. The movie Hick is the same way. I need to watch her in Carrie again, as I've only seen it once, and I found myself in "comparison" mode too much to appreciate the performance.

As far as what you have stated about Lina, I feel the same way, although I don't really know if I am able to judge the performance itself on it's own merits simply because Lina is Sweedish, and I am not. Believable, yes most definitely, but how much of that believablility (is that even a real word?) is because she is foreign. That aspect alone gives me an advantage over a Swede in my capability to not judge the acting because I have no idea what a 12 year old Swedish girl 'should' act like, let alone what a 250 year old 12 year old Swedish, vampire boy/girl should act like! In any case it doesn't really matter because the end result for me is that she simply was Eli.

I guess what I was asking was whether or not the fans of LTROI would have rather seen TA directing Chloe in Let Me In, as opposed to Matt Reeves.

All that being said, I have since realized that the two movies really are vastly different, even though they are based on the same novel, subject matter etc.
"The only thing we'll have to fear, is the dawn as the night turns to day..."
-----"Stay" by Jeremey Hunsicker

"An open mind and an open heart are at once both the strongest and weakest qualities a person can have."
- Me

Alaska

Post by Alaska » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:23 pm

broken1 wrote:
As far as what you have stated about Lina, I feel the same way, although I don't really know if I am able to judge the performance itself on it's own merits simply because Lina is Sweedish, and I am not. Believable, yes most definitely, but how much of that believablility (is that even a real word?) is because she is foreign. That aspect alone gives me an advantage over a Swede in my capability to not judge the acting because I have no idea what a 12 year old Swedish girl 'should' act like, let alone what a 250 year old 12 year old Swedish, vampire boy/girl should act like! In any case it doesn't really matter because the end result for me is that she simply was Eli.
I genuinely don't understand the 'I can't judge her performance because she's foreign' argument. By that logic, I -or anyone who isn't American- couldn't judge the performances of American actors. By that logic, only the people from the country a movie is made in are able to judge the performances of its actors. Maybe it's because I'm from a small European country and almost exclusively watch foreign movies (mostly American of course), but I don't see how an actor speaking a different language and being from a different country matters for the performance. It seems to me emotions are universal: sad and lonely in Sweden isn't going to look wildly different from sad and lonely in America. You can feel if they're authentic without knowing everything about their culture, or speaking the language. Me not speaking Swedish doesn't make me less affected by Lina's facial expressions, her body language and the way she delivers her lines. (Although of course she was dubbed, so maybe that doesn't really apply here)
The only thing we can't judge are the lines themselves: if it sounds authentic. But that may actually be an advantage sometimes: if it doesn't, we won't hear it, and it won't distract us.

So: I don't think you need to be too concerned with how a Swedish girl her age 'should' act like. Especially not with this particular character, since Eli is obviously not a regular girl. No one actually knows what a 12-year old child who's lived for hundreds of years would be like.

I'm almost afraid to say it, but I never did warm to Chloe. In some moments, she manages to convince me (the 'be me a little' scene) and I'm like: oh so she is a good actress! But most of the time when I see her in something, I don't see the character, I see her pretending to be that character. And she pretends really hard, and I don't doubt it she's really giving her career her everything, but often she can't make me believe in her. Sorry guys, that's just my personal opinion! That being said, I do think Abby was one of her better roles.

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:54 pm

I think Chloe is a rather good actress. I think she did a very good job in Carrie and many others. She's been in over 30 movies now. But as far as Eli/Abby, Lina did a way better job at tackling that role, hands down.

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:27 pm

Not really, I'd love to see another LTROI approach as a remake of American / English language.

Something closer to the classics of the 70s and 80s, or something more "pulp" like John Carpenter, Dario Argento, Wes Craven, Tom Holland, Joe Dante, etc., or even John Fawcett (Ginger Snaps) for these times, or Neil Jordan (Byzantium) - Alex Garland + Dannyy Boyle for a British take on the story (it's still English language) I can even think a spanish take on it, JA Bayonato+Sergio G Sanchez (The Orphanage) still in english, or something more gothic and "sensitive" and not so bizarre, if you will.
In fact, LTROI text has all the elements to be a cult classic, and although LMI is a good movie, it ended up being just an average horror movie/remake with Chloe G Moretzm who in fact, was in many average horror remakes LOL, with great perfomances yes. But she's not for Eli, she did great as Abby, but hey, nobody cares about Abby.

If LMI could get the cult that followed the original, LTROI as a whole would be much more popular, which is not the case, LMI as a vamp horror film in the years of the vampire hype is good but average , it worked basically as the gate to few more people to know the original, and the book. They lost the opportunity.

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:34 am

I came across this in a review for another movie (Gifted..it looks like a goody) but you can apply it to any gifted child actor."Some child actors have an ability to disappear completely into a role,perhaps because they still possess a strong fantasy life. Acting is like playing in that sense,but that's not possible unless the child is also precociously intelligent,able to interpret and produce complex emotions without visible effort.All the director has to do is get out of the way and make sure the child doesn't try to "act"the role."Maybe that's the difference between LMI and LTROI ?..In LMI the kids act the characters.In LTROI the kids are the characters.Hope that makes sense..lol..it did when I wrote it.. Chloe is a very good actress and very professional but I sometimes feel that she is too professional.I can't complain though as LMI started me on the road to full blown infection..lol.The first time I watched it I didn't make it through to the end but I sorta blame that horrible series of movies where the vampires are sparkly and are all models.(You see getting old is good.For the life of me I can't recall i'ts name..lol).My daughter had made me watch the whole series and I think I was "vampired"out.The second time I tried to watch it I was intrigued enough to get LTROI and the rest is history.So welcome to the forum and I hope you have as much fun as I've had.. :D
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

Return to “Let Me In”