Re: Let Me In Ending Explained

Post by Jessy7217 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:30 am

sauvin wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:36 am
Jessy7217 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:27 pm
cmfireflies wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:43 pm
I just really love Eli and don't like Abby.
I read the whole thing. Very good thoughts on Eli vs Abby.

As for this statement, I feel the same way. Eli kept his heart, and the ability to care for, and about, others.
And Abby didn't?
I don't believe so. Not as much. I guess she was written to care about Owen. But, does she care about him, the way Eli cares about Oskar?

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:11 pm

Jessy7217 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:30 am
sauvin wrote:
Jessy7217 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:27 pm

I read the whole thing. Very good thoughts on Eli vs Abby.

As for this statement, I feel the same way. Eli kept his heart, and the ability to care for, and about, others.
And Abby didn't?
I don't believe so. Not as much. I guess she was written to care about Owen. But, does she care about him, the way Eli cares about Oskar?
There are a couple of scenes in LMI that stick out for me when pondering whether or not Abby might or might not have "kept her heart". The first is just prior to Thomas' final sortie where the two share a moment of genuine tenderness, and the second where she visits him at the hospital, subdued and apparently grieving. In the corresponding scenes in LTROI (movie), Eli is far colder.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:48 pm

sauvin wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:11 pm
Jessy7217 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:30 am
sauvin wrote:

And Abby didn't?
There are a couple of scenes in LMI that stick out for me when pondering whether or not Abby might or might not have "kept her heart". The first is just prior to Thomas' final sortie where the two share a moment of genuine tenderness, and the second where she visits him at the hospital, subdued and apparently grieving. In the corresponding scenes in LTROI (movie), Eli is far colder.
As far as those scenes go, with their respective characters, Abby was friends with Thomas, Eli and Hakan never were. I still don't think, in general, that Abby is good. I feel like Eli has more compassion, more regret for what he has to do, to survive. Yeah, I'm much more preferential towards Eli.

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:37 pm

Abby is different than Eli. I forget the LMI version of Hakan's name but she just uses people. The photos of her and her caretaker when he was young just show that's her plans for Owen.

VerbalHamster

Post by VerbalHamster » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:00 am

Drakeule wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:37 pm
Abby is different than Eli. I forget the LMI version of Hakan's name but she just uses people. The photos of her and her caretaker when he was young just show that's her plans for Owen.
That was definitely her previous trend, but I think with Thomas (Hakan), she began having regrets once he died and she felt guilt over how she was indirectly responsible for how much he'd suffered to protect her. They shared a tender moment in the hospital in the lead-up to his death, and I think at that point she realized she'd gotten tired of going from person to person - the cycle of meeting them, caring about them, then ultimately having to discard them - and wanted things to "stay the same" with Owen - having someone she could continue to care about, and who would continue to care about her in the same manner, unchanging and unaging, as a point of consistency in her unlife.

If we assume she's ~250 years old, then that's maybe four to five people that she's gone through (assuming that playing assistant to a vampire lowers one's life expectancy) - enough to get tired of the trend of meeting and discarding, but perhaps not so many that she'd become inured to it, especially given that her mind doesn't really seem to age, which probably impacts her ability to deal with loss. As an aside, while we're never shown how Thomas and Abby met, the kindness that Owen showed her by giving her his Rubiks Cube left a different kind of mark, I think - more than just signifying a potential Renfield.

Anyway, that's the interpretation I went with in the stories I wrote lol

Return to “Let Me In”