Refuting "Never Let Me In."

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

CyberGhostface

Re: Refuting "Never Let Me In."

Post by CyberGhostface » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:32 am

BurgerPrince wrote:The reviewers from the beginning of and throughout the video call Let Me In a shot-for-shot knock-off of Let the Right One In. The producers of the American film did work with the Swedish film’s production company, EFTI. They even straight up called it a remake before it was even being made – before they even found Matt Reeves, and he initially refused to do it before reading the book. Reeves said in the making of the film that it was to be based solely off book, only to admit in the credits that it was based off the “screenplay” of Let the Right One In. I’ll admit that this was slightly disappointing – some of the scenes could have fulfilled their potential by being more original. Some of the scenes borrowed from the Alfredson’s film did their job, while others were lazily, even sloppily, done. However, the film is only based in part on the Swedish version and has more than enough original content to let it stand on its own credit.
For Reeves at all to suggest such a thing was flat-out dishonest on his part. There are so many cases where the book differs from the film and each time he ends up using the film's version of events. People try to point to the inclusion of the cop as being an example of him using Stephan from the book but all they have in common is that they're cops; the cop in the film is just a plot device to fill in Lacke's role and have someone for Abby to kill at the end of the film. I still wish someone would have either called him out or pressed him on this but everyone was just playing softball with him.
BurgerPrince wrote:The critics dismiss the American rendition of the climactic pool scene as well. Hilariously, it was actually the best example of the American film outperforming the original one.
To me the pool scene in the American version is a prime example of why the film is such a mess. The original Swedish ending is perfect whereas the remake is in your face with body parts flying straight at the camera. It's embarrassing.

Another case is the fire scene -- it's actually hilarious how over the top the remake's version is with the entire room and even the nurse catching on fire. And Virginia chewing on her arm like a zombie made no sense (Reeves threw it in there because JAL asked him to include Virginia drinking her blood, but because Reeves neglected to actually give the character any weight in the plot he just did it there).
No banaaaanas?

intrige

Post by intrige » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:33 am

word
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

BurgerPrince

Post by BurgerPrince » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:03 am

intrige wrote:The only thing I disagree with in this video btw, is that Oskar is evil.
In the film he kinda does seem to have more of an antisocial complex - low empathy thrown in with rage. It diverges a bit from the novel's characterization but serves its own unique end - he and Eli compliment each other like yin and yang.
sauvin wrote:Could not Oskar (and/or Owen) be seen as reason on the brink of slumber?
I honestly think he's a normal kid, just a bit eccentric and in the wrong situation. Love the pic, BTW.
...But if you meet a friendly horse, will you communicate by Morse?

BurgerPrince

Post by BurgerPrince » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:28 am

CyberGhostface wrote:For Reeves at all to suggest such a thing was flat-out dishonest on his part. There are so many cases where the book differs from the film and each time he ends up using the film's version of events.
I admitted this in OP and I will admit again - Reeves' film is ultimately a remake of Alfredson's one and at least some parts should have been more original. However, I will still hold that the film does enough to stand on its own. Let's just agree to disagree on this. Anyway, there were several reviews, such as the one to which I wrote OP in response, that did criticize him for this.
CyberGhostface wrote:To me the pool scene in the American version is a prime example of why the film is such a mess. The original Swedish ending is perfect whereas the remake is in your face with body parts flying straight at the camera. It's embarrassing. Another case is the fire scene -- it's actually hilarious how over the top the remake's version is with the entire room and even the nurse catching on fire.
Going back to OP, I respect the Swedish film's style of handling the pool scene, but the execution was not at all perfect. Again, let's just agree to disagree - the Swedish and American styles serve their own ends and come down to a matter of personal taste.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:47 am

BurgerPrince wrote:Going back to OP, I respect the Swedish film's style of handling the pool scene, but the execution was not at all perfect. Again, let's just agree to disagree - the Swedish and American styles serve their own ends and come down to a matter of personal taste.
From the start, all criticism I've heard about the pool scene in LTROI has been based on thoughts that occurred well after the initial viewing. I believe that the scene had a remarkably uniform effect on first-time viewers -- shock at the quickly dispensed carnage and relief that Eli came back.

Anyway, I try to keep fresh the memory of my first viewing of the entire film. I think if you bear in mind the effect on the first-time viewer, you'll see that TA did a remarkable job throughout.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

intrige

Post by intrige » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:22 pm

BurgerPrince wrote:
intrige wrote:The only thing I disagree with in this video btw, is that Oskar is evil.
In the film he kinda does seem to have more of an antisocial complex - low empathy thrown in with rage. It diverges a bit from the novel's characterization but serves its own unique end - he and Eli compliment each other like yin and yang.
I have stood up to my bullies in the past and felt just like I think Oskar did after hitting Conny. Relieved, happy, finally I did it. That's what I got from it. I felt like that, but I was and still am in no way sadistic or anything like that. Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations, and it might cause all sorts of emotions.

If fallowing LTODD, in the end Oskar did chose violence. Aka: Becoming infected. But I don't think he did it so he could get to hurt people and be powerful. I think he did it to be with Eli.

Even though Oskar took the fascination for killing a step further than let's say, I did, it is normal for a powerless person to have these kind of fantasies. It is an easy solution for a complicated anger educing problem.

This LMI is better talk is really hitting a soft spot in my heart, man.. :| Like I like that you have your own opinions and stuff, that's the best parts about this forum, we can discuss things without being rude. I can feel the anger wooaah. It's so not like me, I just dislike that movie so much! :lol: I can't help it!

It's OK though. Enjoy what you enjoy!
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

BurgerPrince

Post by BurgerPrince » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:24 pm

dongregg wrote:From the start, all criticism I've heard about the pool scene in LTROI has been based on thoughts that occurred well after the initial viewing. I believe that the scene had a remarkably uniform effect on first-time viewers -- shock at the quickly dispensed carnage and relief that Eli came back. I think if you bear in mind the effect on the first-time viewer, you'll see that TA did a remarkable job throughout.
While I still hold that the scene was not perfect, it was beautifully done, and I definitely agree with your point. After I first saw the movie, I couldn't help but rewatch it... many times...

Anyway, that pretty much reminds me of how I felt after seeing LMI for the first time. The ending hit like a wrecking ball.

BurgerPrince

Post by BurgerPrince » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:30 pm

intrige wrote: I have stood up to my bullies in the past and felt just like I think Oskar did after hitting Conny. Relieved, happy, finally I did it. That's what I got from it. I felt like that, but I was and still am in no way sadistic or anything like that. Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations, and it might cause all sorts of emotions.

Even though Oskar took the fascination for killing a step further than let's say, I did, it is normal for a powerless person to have these kind of fantasies. It is an easy solution for a complicated anger educing problem.
It really depends on the person, action, and context. To cite the Oskar's instant response to his action in the novel:
Let the Right One In, Thursday, November 5, Page 193 wrote:Micke, who had been a couple of steps behind Jonny, now started to back up, holding his hands in front of him.
"What the hell... we were just having some fun... didn't think..."
Oskar walked toward him, swinging the stick from side to side through the air with a low growl. Micke turned and ran back to shore. Oskar stopped and lowered his stick.
Jonny lay curled up on his side with his hand pressed against his ear. Blood was trickling out between his fingers. Oskar wanted to apologize. He hadn't meant to hurt him so bad. He crouched down next to Jonny, steadying himself on the stick, and he was about to say "sorry" but before he had a chance, he saw Jonny.
He was so small, curled up into a fetal position, whimpering "owowowow" while a thin trickle of blood ran down inside the collar of his coat. He was slowly turning his head back and forth.
Oskar looked at him in wonder. That tiny bleeding bundle on the ice would not be able to do anything to him. Couldn't hit him or tease him. Couldn't even defend itself.
I could whack him a few more times and then it's all over.
Oskar stood up, leaned on the stick. The rush was ebbing away, replaced by a feeling of nausea that welled up from deep inside his stomach. What had he done? Jonny must be really hurt to be bleeding like that. What if he bled to death? Oskar sat down on the ice again, pulled off one shoe and removed his wool sock...
So, yeah, Oskar actually acts pretty normally, but there is a point of divergence. He comes to his senses in the novel, but not in the film - that's not normal. It's one thing to beat up a bully, but to severely injure one is something else.

The nostalgia of this, man. Save for a brief moment in High School (and plenty of the kids in school were pampered wimps anyway - it was only the ghetto and redneck kids who really fought hard,) I can't really say I've physically fought anyone since 8th grade. I got in a few scuffles back then, and I could definitely sympathize with Oskar. But then there was the last one - it was in my tech class (we were fucking idiots back then), and the kid who was picking on me started swinging his fists at me (but never committed with his punches, damn pussy,) and then I instantly reacted. I slugged him straight in the mouth and shoved him down, landing against and knocking over a trash can. The rush disappeared immediately after that as the teacher came over and called the vice principal and the kid went to the nurse. I felt as if every bone was going to pop out of my body as I went to the office. It wasn't really guilt I was feeling though, but fear. I never really got in that kind of trouble at school before, and I grew up in liberal Long Island. Where I went to school, you got suspension for fighting, even if it was self defense. (Strangely enough though, I only got a detention.)
intrige wrote:This LMI is better talk is really hitting a soft spot in my heart, man.. :| Like I like that you have your own opinions and stuff, that's the best parts about this forum, we can discuss things without being rude. I can feel the anger wooaah. It's so not like me, I just dislike that movie so much! :lol: I can't help it!
It's OK though. Enjoy what you enjoy!
It's fine, we all have our own attachments to these films. I appreciate that we can have civil debates here - that's pretty hard to come by, these days.

Return to “Let Me In”