The train schedule

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

broken1

The train schedule

Post by broken1 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:55 am

In doing a bit of research to start writing a fanfic, I thought it would be a good thing to find out just what train Abby and Owen would be on, and where the heck I needed to have them getting off sometime after sunset. From what I can tell, there is no commuter train that runs through Los Alamos. The closest Amtrak line is in Lamy, NM which is a little south of Santa Fe, about 60 miles away from Los Alamos. Not only that, but the Eastern route train departs Lamy at around 1:00pm! I couldn't find a schedule from 1983, but I did find one from 1976 and it was the same as today, 1:00-ish pm. Needless to say, I'm glad I don't have to figure out just how to get them on the darn thing, but I'd sure love to know how they did it!
"The only thing we'll have to fear, is the dawn as the night turns to day..."
-----"Stay" by Jeremey Hunsicker

"An open mind and an open heart are at once both the strongest and weakest qualities a person can have."
- Me

a_contemplative_life

Re: The train schedule

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:08 am

:lol: When I wrote FF, I sometimes found himself wanting to know some very obscure information. Sounds like you're having a similar experience.

broken1

Post by broken1 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:03 am

Well after reading your stuff, GK's, and LK's,(and JAL's of course), I would be remiss were I not to pay attention to the seemingly little things. I know that for myself at least, the more authentic the 'minor details', the easier I find it to get totally immersed in the story.

Before I found this site and saw drakkars photos of the authentic locations that JAL built the story around, I still got the 'feeling' while first seeing LTROI, and reading the novel after, that those were real places. Then when I actually saw those places? Well, it made sense why it seemed so real, because it was real.

Lina and Chloe had the hardest job in bringing Eli and Abby to life, (or is that un-life!?) after JAL had so thoroughly accomplished that feat in the novel. He got us to love a vampire for Pete's sake, and no one before him managed that, at least not for me. How did he do it? He paid attention to that 'minor detail' of making Eli human first and foremost, and a vampire second. Anne Rice tried to get on that road, but got lost along the way. JAL? Well he got on that road, avoided all of the pot holes, decided to re-pave it along the way, and built the vampire Autobahn.

"An open mind and an open heart are at once both the strongest and weakest qualities a person can have."
- Me

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:26 am

Which makes me wonder if anyone has posted here photos of the Los Alamos locations.

Lee Kyle

Post by Lee Kyle » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:08 am

Vampire autobahn, that's awesome! Since the movie makers perhaps pay less attention to detail than we do, maybe we can also take a bit of artistic license and pretend Los Alamos has a bustling Amtrak station.

broken1

Post by broken1 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:56 am

LK,
Sure, why not? I only wish I'd have done so prior to starting the darn thing! Now I'm stuck, but seeing as how I'm flying by the seat of my pants with the story anyway, Abby, Owen, and I will just have to deal with it!

gk,
It's funny you mentioned that. I happened to be on Google maps tonight looking at aerial views of just where the Lamar train station is located in the town, and thought it would helpful to compare the Los Alamos landscape to that of Lamar. That lead me to go, 'hmm, lets find Owen and Abby's apartment complex. Well, it isn't in Los Alamos, it's in Albuquerque! 1100 Alvarado Drive SE to be exact. Moana Condominiums. No website for the property, but there are a few pictures of for sale listings that show the "courtyard" which turns out is actually a pool! They must have put something over it and covered it with 'snow'. Don't know about the other locations yet.

Regards,

SS

- Me

Return to “Let Me In”