So I Finally Got to Watch LMI

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

sauvin

Re: So I Finally Got to Watch LMI

Post by sauvin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:56 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:I basically agree with Bloody Mary's assessment of LMI. One can readily imagine Lina's Eli giving Oskar the "kiss seen with love" under the balcony, described in the novel. One has a harder time seeing Abby give that kiss to Owen.
A much harder time, I'd think; the kids we see in LMI seem a lot more hopelessly lost than the kids in the novel or the Swedish movie.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:43 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:I basically agree with Bloody Mary's assessment of LMI. One can readily imagine Lina's Eli giving Oskar the "kiss seen with love" under the balcony, described in the novel. One has a harder time seeing Abby give that kiss to Owen.
This is very true, I hadn't quite thought about it in those terms.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:59 am

I don't understand why. I think that Abby would give that kiss to Owen just as easily. While I believe Eli showed her true feelings, I don't think it'll be hard for vampires to lie. Or if you don't subscribe to the evil Abby theory, she could just as easily be lying to herself if she were to kiss Owen and show him how he is seen with love. What could be truly tragic for Abby is that she goes from relationship to relationship, and her boyfriends all disappoint her in the end, but what she doesn't want to realize is she is may be reason why her relationships fall apart.

Like that song that goes
"you sit there in your heartache, waiting on some beautiful boy to
to save you from your old ways..."

One thing I can't imagine Abby asking Owen is Eli's question: "do you want to become like me?" because what if Owen were to say yes?
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

Return to “Let Me In”