How LTROI affected me, first impressions.

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

Jameron

Re: How LTROI affected me, first impressions.

Post by Jameron » Wed May 31, 2017 5:03 pm

Agustin Gerrard wrote:Being a bit of a fan of the supernatural I gave the movie a shot. And it was amazing! It was slow but it didn't matter. I liked the atmosphere. And I liked the fact that "she" is genderless.
Welcome to We The Infected :D
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:30 am

Agustin Gerrard wrote:Being a bit of a fan of the supernatural I gave the movie a shot. And it was amazing! It was slow but it didn't matter. I liked the atmosphere. And I liked the fact that "she" is genderless.
The film is certainly heavily laden with atmosphere...

How do you think that Eli's genderlessness affected his/her ability to interact with other people and the world in general? Do you think it was a net advantage or a disadvantage?

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:36 am

Hi Agustin Gerrard! I'm glad you found this forum.

Right about atmosphere and Eli/Elias being genderless, although she started life as boy. So many things about LTROI confounded my expectations of what the set-up in a "vampire" movie would be. I was already hooked by the snowstorm at night and the taxi ride. By the time (12 or so minutes in) that Eli says "What are you doing?" I was a goner. After that, there was one delightful surprise after another, like, oh yeah, that's how a 12-year-old vampire might live -- like an orphan, like a street kid. Indifferent to hygiene or clothing. The film doesn't even stress the supernatural so much as that she is a very dangerous playmate. And how the awkward relationship with Oskar evolved into a sort of preteen romance or whatever it is. An odd friendship at least in which two people who really really need each bond powerfully. The film abounds with ambiguity, and I think that struck me as unexpected and very fresh.

Anyway, welcome, and I look forward to more of your ideas.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:49 am

Hi Agustine.Welcome.The scene that really hit me and made me realise that this was something special was the scene when Eli first meets Oskar.She jumps off the jungle gym and falls not quite as fast as she should.The movie is full of things like that.Blink and you'll miss them.The detail is fantastic.The close ups of the hands and eyes.Faces partly obscured by shade and the rest.I could go on and on. Having said that I'm going to curl up in a warm blanket and watch it again.All the best Agustine and look forward to further posts from you.
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

Return to “Let Me In”