Abby's body language when no one is looking

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

a_contemplative_life

Re: Abby's body language when no one is looking

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:30 pm

You should post this as an essay on the FF site. :)

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:33 pm

I suppose with some editing it could be the start for an entry there. I like that.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:35 am

[1:01:01-1:04:35] "6)" on the list. Bedroom scene. Owen and Abby.
Body language: Abby's expression as she gets the window open is one, I read, of uncertainty. I don't see anything in her look such that might indicate scheming or malice.
"Owen. Owen." mmm? "Can I come in?" No, no, no wait. "Don't look at me. But you have to say it: that I can come in." you can come in. "Close your eyes." They're already closed.
{undresses and climbs in bed. lies on her back next to him / behind him.}
"How'd you get up here?" "I flew." "Yeh, right."
"Hey, you're not wearing anything. And you're freezing." "Is that gross?" "No."
"Abby?" "Yeh." "Will you steady with me?"
You'd think that would catch her off guard, but she doesn't react visibly. Rather, it's her usual: when threatened, remain calm and stoic.
"What do you mean?" "Will you be my girlfriend?" "Owen, I'm not a girl." "You're not a girl?" "No." "Then what are you?" {sighs} "I'm nothing."
He can't see her so her reaction could be anything - and only we would be the witnesses. Yet her mannerisms with the sigh and turn away from Owen strongly suggest she's expressing an internal bit of herself. Naturally, Owen doesn't understand in the least what she is talking about, but this is a rare chance for us to see her open up at all about herself.
"Oh. You know it's okay if you don't want to be my girlfriend. You don't have to make stuff up."
She looks back over at him. She knows he's not ready to understand but has to recover the conversation from what she's already said.
Indeed if she had any snaring or evil intent here, this "I am not a girl" gambit would be an odd card to play, especially when she doesn't then follow it up with anything. This is her second time to come out with this line, each time unprovoked, and each time has lurched the dialog in a direction that she'd prefer it not go. (Her normal behavior is to avoid drawing attention or having herself be the target of a conversation in any way.) What I take from this is that she makes mistakes. Both times that this "I am not a girl" line has come up, it's not been her best choice. Yet, this is front and center for her because it's what she comes up with first in both occasions.
"Look, can we just keep things the way they are?" "Yeh, sure."
She continues to rescue the situation with her next line, realizing he disappointed and confused. Again, she's the cause of this. If coming here at all and the "I am not a girl" line are to be part of some scheme, then this is about where she'd want to continue. But really, she doesn't - so I doubt she's come here with much else in mind but her remorse for having just lost her friend of the last three or so decades. So, she's not really expecting the odd questions of a groggy & naive 12 yr old boy.
"Well, do you have to do anything special when you go steady?" "No." "So everything's the same?" "yeh" "Okay. We can go steady." "Really?" "Yeh."
{takes his arm and places it on her cheek. Okay, this is the exact same way she expressed caring to Thomas - placing her hand on his cheek. She doesn't have to do this, but she does, and it goes to show that she wants him to know that she cares for him. Agree?}
{the next shot is very brief and seems to indicate they spend a long time in that position - her holding his hand to her cheek.}

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:00 am

[1:04:48] message left
"I must be gone and live or stay and die. Abby & Owen."
There's no body language here, but yet this is non-verbal communication.
Why would she leave this, of all things, as a message to him? It's from the play she saw he was reading, but about which he was was boring. He might, then, not even pick up on the quote.
  • Romeo and Juliet, Act 3, Scene 5
    ROMEO
    It was the lark, the herald of the morn,
    No nightingale. Look, love, what envious streaks
    Do lace the severing clouds in yonder east.
    Night’s candles are burnt out, and jocund day
    Stands tiptoe on the misty mountain tops.
    I must be gone and live, or stay and die.
    JULIET
    Yon light is not daylight, I know it, I.
    It is some meteor that the sun exhales
    To be to thee this night a torchbearer,
    And light thee on thy way to Mantua.
    Therefore stay yet. Thou need’st not to be gone.
    ROMEO
    Let me be ta'en. Let me be put to death.
    I am content, so thou wilt have it so...
Apparently she knows the play and knows it well. Romeo (the visitor to that play's bedroom scene) is saying to his illicit partner (Juliet) that he thinks the sun is about to come up, and he needs to get out of there (her bedroom) before he is discovered and then likely put to death.
Abby must have picked the line because she knows he's reading the play for school and found the situation strikingly similar. Will he pick up on her humor - if that' what it is? It's an interesting gamble on her part because if he does not, she's only further confused him.
Putting "Abby & Owen", encircled, is a good ending for it though. It covers for the case where he's only confused by the words.

[1:05:08] School bus going to ice skating pond. Owen and school kids. No dialog.
Okay, he's holding the play and reading it. I gather this is our clue that yes he get's it, that her message to him is from the play.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:54 am

[1:10:30-1:10:40] Owen knocking to Abby through wall. No dialog.
Abby is resting and is first startled by the knocking and then by her apartment door door buzzer.
Body language: no stands out, except that she has taken to resting on the bed that she knows is next to his room. She wants to know when he tries to tap with her and be ready to respond right away.

[1:10:41-1:11:27] Responding to detective ringing her apartment door buzzer. No dialog.
Body language: Approaches door with extreme caution. Clearly she is avoiding detection. This goes to her normal mode of not wanting to draw attention to herself / not having attention drawn to her.
The accidental floor squeak at the end of the shot doesn't come to anything, but it points out that mistakes happen to her just as they do to anyone.

{Intervening scene is of next day at school. Owen watches as his tormenter Kenny is pestered by his older brother.}

[1:12:50-1:13:33] At jungle gym
"Abby, I did it." "You did what?" {Owen, enthusiastically} "They were going to push me in a hole in the ice, so I got a really big stick and I hit Kenny in the head really hard. He had to go to the hospital. I almost got suspended." {smiling Abby} "What you said - I stood up to them." {smiling Abby} "Owen." "Yeh?" {kisses him on cheek}
Body language: She's delighted with his victory over the bullies. And she'd be pleased that he took her advice and stood up to them with force. Likewise, he's excited to tell her all because it is her advise that he's followed and found strength in. (What he's not told her is that the situation could have been avoided; that he took a practice swing; and that he told the bullies of his intentions. But we're analyzing Abby, not Owen.) But why a kiss? Because she can, because it's a showing that she's excited for him, because it furthers their friendship, because it feels good. Also, likely heightened because she did not get to see him yesterday evening - so they're both relieved to be able to meet up on this evening.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:31 am

[1:13:31-1:16:22] Basement scene
"Hey, you want to go somewhere?" "Where?"
"It's pretty cool, huh?" "Yeh" "This kid who used to live in the building, Tommy, he would, uhh, come down here and drink and smoke with his high school friends. And when they weren't here, he'd play ping-ping with me. He was really cool. But then he had to move away. I kind of like it here." "It's cool." "I don't think any of the adults know about it. It's just us."
"So, what did you want to do down here?" "Uh, I think I have an idea." {smiling Abby} "Close your eyes." {eyes closed} "keep them closed." {still smiling} {owen cuts finger with knife}
"Let's make a pact." {Abby opens eyes, sees, stops smiling} "It only hurts for a second." {Abby backing up, head down} "here."
"Abby?" {growling} "Go away." {Abby runs off}
We get to see three side of Abby here. Happy, relaxed Abby at the start, arriving out of the previous scene. She's trusting of Owen and happy to explore with him, and allowing him to lead. Then we have the monster side of Abby, the one who is briefly in control. And then there's the partial-vampire-form Abby, the one we see just prior and just after the monster form. This Abby is aware of the situation, needs to separate herself from Owen and tries to get him to go, but then gives up and runs off.

[1:16:23-1:17:08] Attack on Virginia. No dialog.
Body language: This is "the monster", if we care to make a distinction. There's little to be said, directly, for Abby in this scene - other than she's a vampire (duh). However, the decision to attack Virginia is an ill made one and doomed to fail from before it begins. This does communicate a complete lack of foresight on the vampire Abby's part. The man pursuing Virginia is within ten yard or meters of Virginia when Abby drops from the tree. There's simply no planning on vampire Abby's part other than to fulfill a need to attack something. Ergo: vampire Abby has no reasoning skills.

[1:19:54-1:22:47] Confrontation scene. Owen and Abby, her apartment
{Okay, he's got that jacket on again. Does he understand he can walk 10 feet down the hallway without it?}
"Can I come in ?" {nods} "You have to say it" "You can come in."
"Are you a vampire?" "I need blood to live." "How old are you, really?" "12. But, I've been 12 for a very long time."
'Where's your dad?" "He wasn't my dad."
"What's all this stuff?" "I like puzzles."
{owen sees film strip}
"I want to go now." {abby blocks exit} "I want to go. Are you going to let me?" {abby stares} "What are you going to do to me?"
"I told you we couldn't be friends."
Body language: We're back to the stoic expressions from Abby, given that she's on the defensive. She does not attempt to explain herself or her condition (if you want to call it that). When she blocks his exit - is she weighing her options, or is she trying to figure out what to say or do in order to keep him there and maybe find a way to get him to understand? Either way, she doesn't arrive at what to do and so lets him leave. The final remark from her seems like a resignation.

[1:25:58-1:28:16] Bleeding scene. Owen and Abby, his apartment
"Hey" "Hey" "You have to invite me in - to your home." "What if I don't?" "Why can't you just come in? Is there something in your way?" {Abby comes in, bleeds on nice carpeted floor and messes up a good looking KISS t-shirt} "no no, stop it. You can come in. You can come in."
"What was that?" "I don't know. I just know that this is what happens if you don't invite me in."
"What if I didn't say anything? Would you have kept bleeding? Would you have died?" "I knew you wouldn't let me."
Body language: Stoic at first, well, until he hugs her.
Non-verbal communication: 1. she's the one who initiated this meeting. 2. she comes in, knowing what's going to happen. 3. she puts herself at considerable jeopardy.
His line "Why can't you come in?" is her clue that he'd not let her perish. If he were truly against ever seeing her again, he'd not toss curiosity into the conversation. But he does, which allows her to know he's not dead set against seeing her again. Whether she realizes this - I dunno.

[1:28:17-1:30:10] Shower, dressing scene. Owen and Abby, his apartment. Mother's return. Abby flight out window.
"You can borrow one of my mom's old dresses if you want."
Body language: Back to a relaxed Abby, one who's willing to twirl about and smile plus giggle with him window-to-window.
[Owen's mom:] "Hello?" "In here, I'll be right there."

[1:31:30-:31:56] Owen wakes up in Abby's apartment. Letter.
Non-verbal communication / Note: "Hi Owen. Good morning. I am in the bathroom. Please do not come in. Want to hang out with me again tonight? I really like you. Love Abby"
Generally supportive, wants to continue things. Shows she's literate. Doesn't tip us off on whether she's got any bigger plan in mind other than continuing the immediate friendship.

[1:35:35-1:37:30] Bathroom scene. Abby and Detective, then Owen
As with the prior two vampire attacks, we see that vampire Abby has no hesitation.

[1:37:50-1:39:00] Final hug. Abby and Owen. "8)" on list.
When she hugs him from behind, we see a composed, neutral expression on her face. I gather she's making the realization that she announces in the next shot. He's horrified but for her this is the normal.
"Owen I have to go away." {kisses Owen}

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:47 am

[1:39:20-1:39:40] Abby leaves. Climbs into taxi. No dialog.
Abby is her normal composed self.

[1:46:09-1:46:32] Termination of pool massacre. No dialog.
Non-verbal communication: As with twice before, she puts hand to cheek; this time to assure Owen it's her.

[1:47:18-1:48:27] Train scene. Owen, conductor, large chest, pile o' candy wrappers.
"Is that trunk yours?"
Non-verbal communication: tapping.
"Eat some now, save some for later. Eat some now, save some for later."

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:44 am

So, here's the catalog, showing all points where Abby is either in the film or is providing some communication while not on screen.

I'll mark the scenes where Abby is unobserved or else unaware of being observed with an "*" - as it as at such moments when we should be seeing Abby where she not reacting to somebody. I was going to mark scenes where there is body language - but really that is in all these scenes.

[13:15 - 13:40] Abby walks in from U-Haul to apartment building. No dialog.
[13:44 - 14:12] Abby passes Owen's door and eventually enters her apartment. No dialog.
[18:08 - 19:22] * "1)". First encounter. Jungle gym + tree + knife.
[23:50 - 24:56] Owen overhears argument through wall following Thomas' return.
[26:14 - 29:02] * Second encounter. Jungle gym + Rubicks Cube.
[29:30 - 31:34] Attack scene in tube tunnel.
[31:50 - 32:10] Owen overhears conversation though wall
[34:00 - 34:17] Solved cube. No dialog.
[34:30 - 36:07] Third encounter. Abby waiting for Owen at the jungle gym.
[39:03 - 41:24] Fourth encounter. Jungle gym + Morse code sheets + Romeo&Juliet play.
[41:30 - 42:03] Abby removes Thomas from wall so she can 'tap' to Owen
[43:08 - 45:20] * "2)". Abby & Owen out in public @ video game / candy place.
[45:20 - 45:28] * "3)". Parking lot hug scene.
[46:19 - 47:26] Walking home from candy store
[47:35 - 47:51] Good-night at Owen's door
[48:01 - 49:54] Abby & Thomas in their apt
[55:55 - 56:05] * "4) When the two kids are lying on opposite side of the apartment wall," No dialog.
[56:06 - 56:26] * Hears of arrest, departs to hospital. No dialog.
[56:27 - 57:59] Arrival at hospital, conversation with receptionist nurse.
[58:00 - 1:00:00] At the hospital room window. Abby and Thomas. Almost no dialog.
[1:00:44 - 1:01:00] * "5)". At hospital window. Abby and Detective. No dialog.
[1:01:01 - 1:04:35] * "6)". Bedroom scene. Owen and Abby.
[1:04:48] message left
[1:10:30 - 1:10:40] * Owen knocking to Abby through wall. No dialog.
[1:10:41 - 1:11:27] * Responding to detective ringing her apartment door buzzer. No dialog.
[1:12:50 - 1:13:33] At jungle gym
[1:13:31 - 1:16:22] Basement scene
[1:16:23 - 1:17:08] * Attack on Virginia. No dialog.
[1:19:54 - 1:22:47] Confrontation scene. Owen and Abby, her apartment
[1:25:58 - 1:28:16] * "7)". Bleeding scene. Owen and Abby, his apartment
[1:28:17 - 1:30:10] Shower, dressing scene. Owen and Abby, his apartment. Mother's return. Abby flight out window.
[1:31:30 - 1:31:56] Owen wakes up in Abby's apartment. Letter.
[1:35:35 - 1:37:30] Bathroom scene. Abby and Detective, then Owen
[1:37:50 - 1:39:00] * "8)". Final hug. Abby and Owen.
[1:39:20 - 1:39:40] * Abby leaves. Climbs into taxi. No dialog.
[1:46:09 - 1:46:32] Termination of pool massacre. No dialog.
[1:47:18 - 1:48:27] Train scene. Owen, conductor, large chest, pile o' candy wrappers.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:27 am

The key observations I saw about Abby, watching her verbal and non-verbal communications would be

1. Abby "shuts down" when feeling threatened. 'Feeling threatened' is any situation where she becomes the center of attention or is otherwise under any sort of scrutiny. During these moments she avoids eye contact, maintains a neutral facial expression and a neutral voice. We see examples of this throughout the movie. Clearly, Abby is capable of 'fear' - primarily in the form of the fear of being discovered/revealed.

2. Abby makes mistakes. Specific examples are the squeak she accidentally makes when the detective comes to her apartment door, both times she interjects "I am not a girl" into the conversation, trusting Owen in the basement (shutting her eyes and not notice him leading into the blood pact idea), not realizing Owen knew where she lived (First encounter), not realizing Owen could hear her (and Thomas) through the adjoining apartment wall (Fourth encounter).

3. Abby can be manipulative in "girl form." We see this in the tunnel attack scene, and we see it in the candy scene. She might have been in denial with herself that she could eat the candy, but we see her first reaction to the offer from Owen that she knows this is trouble - yet she goes through with it.

4. Despite her common fear of becoming the center of attention or being the subject of scrutiny, Abby often dares to have some attention directed her way; she wants to be noticed, included and liked. The candy scene is one example. The scene where she enters the hospital reception area with no shoes on is an example (she knows this is going to attraction attention to herself). Setting up the Third encounter (has showered, is wearing boots, has positioned herself on jungle gym and is waiting for Owen) is another example. Even her "we can't be friends" is an example of this, given that she makes it in such a declarative manner. Her placement of the solved cube on the jungle gym is a declaration of her presence.

5. Abby desires closeness and to be the subject of affection. We see this in each scene where she holds somebody's cheek with her hand or in the bedroom scene where she holds Owen's hand to her cheek. We see it in the candy store parking lot scene; what she's after is to know that she's liked. We see it by her arrival at Owen's window immediately following the death of Thomas, and her need to be with Owen. And we see it in the first part of the basement scene and in the moments in the prior scene that directly lead to the basement scene. Coming over and entering Owen's apartment following their Confrontation scene is an act most likely targeted to regain at least Owen's friendship.

6. Monster/Vampire Abby has no reasoning skills. The attack on Virginia is doomed to failure before it begins. In the basement scene Abby is afraid for Owen; this suggests she knows she could lose control and devour him at that moment.

7. There is a transitional or semi vampire stage that we see or hear several times. First is when she is enraged at Thomas - we and Owen can only hear her affected voice; second is the moments before/after her vampire form moment in the basement scene, third is whatever form she is in during the pool massacre scene.

Lee Kyle

Post by Lee Kyle » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:14 pm

An awe-inspiring list! Thanks for putting it together.

My list was more restrictive because I was after those moments when she "felt" alone, meaning her guard was down or she was just being herself. That's why, for example, I did not include when the detective came to her door. Certainly she is alone in her apartment. But she does not feel alone. On the contrary, she is very much guarded and reacting to someone else, even though that person can't see her.

It's the times in which she is not thinking about her body language that her body language becomes most meaningful.

Return to “Let Me In”