Abby's body language when no one is looking

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

Lee Kyle

Abby's body language when no one is looking

Post by Lee Kyle » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:23 pm

One thing I like about LMI is how little dialogue there is. No excruciating exposition (contra Twilight). Rather LMI takes advantage of film's ability to show instead of tell. The movie shows Abby's non-verbal communication, then lets the viewer reach his own conclusions about her.

This makes the moments in which no one (except the audience) is looking at Abby especially important for understanding her character. I believe there are eight such moments:

1) On the jungle gym, as Owen is walking away after having given Abby the Rubik's Cube.
2) While Owen is playing Ms. Pac Man.
3) When Owen hugs Abby after she throws up (he is holding her, but he can't see her face).
4) When the two kids are lying on opposite sides of the apartment wall, touching the wall and smiling.
5) Standing on the hospital ledge after Thomas has fallen to his death.
6) The whole scene in Owen's bedroom (since Owen never looks). This is the only extended time in the entire movie that we see Abby's face when no one else does, so this may make it the most important scene in the movie for really understanding her character.
7) When Owen hugs her after she bleeds (again, he can't see Abby's face).
8) When Abby hugs Owen after eating the policeman (she hugs him from behind).

The deleted scene with Abby sitting alone in her apartment was, well, deleted, although I don't think it says much about her character beyond the fact that she's getting pretty bored with puzzles.

The deleted Be Me a Little scene may show Abby when she is alone in the sense that her attacker may not really see her face during the attack. Also after the telepathy ends, even though Owen is looking right at her, she doesn't really seem to be "present." So in a sense we might also be seeing what she looks like when she is alone, despite Owen being directly in front of her.

Once we have a list of her "alone moments," the next step is to analyze her non-verbals during those times. What does her body language say?

tman

Re: Abby's body language when no one is looking

Post by tman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:35 pm

I can see you're still pretty caught up in the whole LMI/LTROI world then Lee. It's all consuming isn't it? Has anything even come close since? I would have thought not.

Personally, I think every bit of body language in LMI is important. Every look, every gesture and every action. I think nothing was left in by chance if it didn't mean anything. That's why it worked so well, and why pretty much everything in the film can, with analysis be taken more than one way. The totally ambiguous nature of the film leads to you questioning everything you've seen, but I think that's how the book was meant to be, and why the movies, because of the love that TA/MR heaped on them, work so well.

I don't think any other actors could have conveyed this, so the casting was perfect. The tiny glance Abby gives Owen in the arcade is, in itself, something that has pleased, confused and troubled me for a long time. Is it Abby really starting to have feelings for Owen or is it Abby's plan starting to come together - knowing that it won't take much more to ensnare Owen. There's no real smile there (more a half smile - or is it a smirk?), but the body language is conveyed in such a way that a casual viewer might only see it one way, but think twice, and it's a totally different outcome.

The wall touching scene is beautifully played out as well. Hinting at a telepathic bond, both knowing the other is there, but is it real feelings from Abby, or again a darker meaning? I notice that quite a few times those little touches of body language or looks are out of the sight of the other. Very clever, and again, adds to the ambiguous nature of the story. Intentional though? You bet.

Keepitreal

Post by Keepitreal » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:35 pm

tman wrote:The tiny glance Abby gives Owen in the arcade is, in itself, something that has pleased, confused and troubled me for a long time. Is it Abby really starting to have feelings for Owen or is it Abby's plan starting to come together - knowing that it won't take much more to ensnare Owen. There's no real smile there (more a half smile - or is it a smirk?), but the body language is conveyed in such a way that a casual viewer might only see it one way, but think twice, and it's a totally different outcome.
I believe Abby was really falling in love with Owen in the arcade. 2 shots in that scene showing Abby looking at Owen. The 1st time, Abby looks at Owen, looks back at the arcade, and then looks back at Owen again, I thought that was her thinking how cute Owen was. I watched that scene in slow motion and that's what I thought of that glances from her. 2nd time, she looks back at Owen again, looking at him extra longer before putting her head down/looking down was her in conflict with herself. She's thinking now she's grown attached to Owen, what is she going to do now? Will this relationship work?.

I don't think of those glances are her saying she's ensnare Owen now or anything like that.

I'm more curious about what would've happen if Owen did let her in and she never bleeded out in Owen's apartment. Abby wanted to see Owen after he saw the thomas photo, I wonder what she wanted to say to Owen. What was her intention on meeting Owen after he found out about Thomas? DId she wanted to clear things up about her and Thomas, and ask him if he wanted to run away with her or something like that.

DavidZahir

Post by DavidZahir » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:54 pm

I've been fascinated/appalled the way folks interpret Abby when Owen is not looking directly at her. In particular the way some see her as a "clever animal" even when that simply doesn't ring true. For example, when she's in Owen's bed, she doesn't watch him, doesn't see if he's "buying" her line. Instead, she reacts as if she's answering some uncomfortable questions.

The look while Owen plays Pacman seems a straightforward enjoyment of his company, thinking he's cute. In fact I'd point out the director's commentary fits into that, when he compares it to a scene in Klute. Likewise the actress herself is on record as saying Abby "kinda falls in love" with Owen.

But the deleted scene with the toys indicates more than anything in my mind how lonely Abby's life is.
O let my name be in the Book of Love. If it be there I care not
For that Other great Book above. Strike it out! Or write it in anew--
But let My name be in the Book of Love!
-- Omar Kayam

lombano

Post by lombano » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:22 am

DavidZahir wrote:I've been fascinated/appalled the way folks interpret Abby when Owen is not looking directly at her. In particular the way some see her as a "clever animal" even when that simply doesn't ring true. For example, when she's in Owen's bed, she doesn't watch him, doesn't see if he's "buying" her line. Instead, she reacts as if she's answering some uncomfortable questions.

The look while Owen plays Pacman seems a straightforward enjoyment of his company, thinking he's cute. In fact I'd point out the director's commentary fits into that, when he compares it to a scene in Klute. Likewise the actress herself is on record as saying Abby "kinda falls in love" with Owen.

But the deleted scene with the toys indicates more than anything in my mind how lonely Abby's life is.
Agreed on all counts. It's a pity the turning scene was deleted, among other things because it would explain why Abby is so obviously uncomfortable in that first scene - without it, annoyance or being upset would seem more natural.
Bli mig lite.

RapeSoul

Post by RapeSoul » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:47 pm

lombano wrote:
DavidZahir wrote:I've been fascinated/appalled the way folks interpret Abby when Owen is not looking directly at her. In particular the way some see her as a "clever animal" even when that simply doesn't ring true. For example, when she's in Owen's bed, she doesn't watch him, doesn't see if he's "buying" her line. Instead, she reacts as if she's answering some uncomfortable questions.

Agreed on all counts. It's a pity the turning scene was deleted, among other things because it would explain why Abby is so obviously uncomfortable in that first scene - without it, annoyance or being upset would seem more natural.
It would've been amazing if there was a feature on the DVD to turn on the deleted scenes so they would play in the movie in their correct spots.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:36 am

Alright, let's catalog Abby's moments on screen.

[13:15 - 13:40] Abby walks in from U-Haul to apartment building. No dialog.
This is a curious moment because we and Owen see her, but she is seemingly unaware of being observed. Barefoot, she walks across the courtyard snow.
Is there anything to observe here? Body language: she's controlled and unemotional; she is leading, ahead of Thomas and doing so without hesitation. From this, I suspect that she know where she's going and therefore has been here at least once before. Also, she is carrying nothing, while he is burdened with a large box/trunk. This also goes to suggest that she is the one leader of the relation.

[13:44 - 14:12] Abby passes Owen's door and eventually enters her apartment. No dialog.
Again, Abby appears to be unaware that she is being observed by Owen. She is in the direct presence of Thomas. Body language: She is still leading, ahead of Thomas. She knows where to stop in the hallway and then waits for him to step passed her and to enter the apartment before she goes in. I don't see any nervousness or reservation in her manner. Rather, it would seem she is the one in charge. Is she awaiting The Invitation before entering? I don't know; it's hart to tell.

{Okay, why is Owen wearing his winter coat (and thus likely street clothes and shoes) on the pool deck? That would be uncomfortable, socially, as well as physically - pools are humid and warm.}

[18:08 - 19:22] First encounter. Jungle gym + tree + knife.
"What are you doing?" "Nothing. What are you doing?" "Nothing" "You guys just moved in, huh? Upstairs?" "How do you know?" "I live next door to you. Right there." "Just so you know, I can't be your friend." "Why not?" "That's just the way it is." "Whoever said I wanted to be your friend? Idiot."
Body language: Long unbroken staring, as she does throughout this screen - of course is making for an uncomfortable situation. Socially not taken well, and she should know this.
There seems to be a stand-off going on for this scene. He's feeling guilty about being caught doing something both childish and wrong (bothering to stab a tree with a dangerous knife). For him it's an awkward moment and he seems to be trying to justify himself to her.
She, meanwhile, continues with the long stares, blank facial expression. She turns the conversation around from her being the one who has been spied upon with her remark that they're not going to be friends.
The elongated staring and then the "Just so you know, I can't be your friend" + "That's just the way it is." seems more aimed at wresting control out of the moment than anything else. She doesn't say anything more about his knife or what the heck he is doing, preferring to let him wallow in his awkward situation.

{Btw, I hope that Scott put the car in Park when he arrives at the train crossing. Otherwise when Thomas attacks him from the back seat, Scott could have lost control of the brake, thus allowing the car to proceed forward on its own and thus, err, into the passing train.}

[23:50 - 24:56] Owen overhears argument through wall following Thomas' return.
"What am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to go out there and do it myself? Huh? Huh? Answer me?" "Maybe I'm getting sloppy. Maybe I want to get caught." {labored breathing} "Maybe I'm just tired of this."
We are to believe that Thomas is talking with an enraged Abby. We never, btw, see this side of Abby again during the movie - where does this side of her go?
Thomas' lines are that of defeat, resignation but also rather like a break up. He's saying that he's done with things as they are.
Body language: Well, we can't see her but rather can hear her affected speech and breathing. Both indicate she is barely under control, angry, not sympathizing with Thomas' situation.

{At the school auditorium meeting, Owen is the only kid wearing a jacket. Does he know he can take this off at school?}

[26:14 - 29:02] Second encounter. Jungle gym + Rubicks Cube.
I think Owen is unaware of Abby for the first 15 seconds of this scene. Watch his reaction just as she goes to speak. He might have been aware of a prior noise and looks up, but I don't think he was aware of her approaching. Agreed? If so, this would be the first item on the OP list. Her expression here is one of unrevealing focus (on Owen). The hunter.
"So it's you, huh? You know I really want to be left alone." "Me too." "So leave." "You leave. I've lived here longer than you." "What is that?" "What this?" "It's a Rubicks Cube. You don't kniow what a Rubicks Cube?" "Is it a puzzle?" "Yeh. Want to try it? You can give it back tomorrow."
"How do you do it?" "You get each side one color. You go." {take cube} "You smell kinda funny. Aren't you cold?" "I don't really get cold." "I guess - see you tomorrow."
I again see a dialog and body language being a negotiation of who is in control. She remains aloof at points where she can and careful at moments where she has a weakness. Then, she zones out once she is playing with the cube, almost dismissing him as unimportant.
After he walks off, yes, we see a several seconds of her in a situation were her actions are unobserved by Owen. This is "1)" in the OP. Is there anything in her expressions and movements that we can discern? I'm thinking it shows recognition that he is departing. And perhaps a flash of regret that she's allowed herself to become distracted and has allowed for the situation to end. After all, she started the encounter, yet she let him out of it. It doesn't seem that she came to him in order to hunt him down - she makes not attempt to lead him away from the visible jungle gym setting.
Body language: initially the focused stalker, yet I don't think she's in attack mode. later, distracted by toy and possibly momentarily shows awareness that her distraction has let down her changes for further exchange with the boy.

[29:30 - 31:34] Attack scene.
"Help me." Hello? "Please. Help me." hello? they there. you okay? what happened? "I fell." yeh. can't you get up? "no." ...
If this the manipulative monster, we see here that she shows no sign of who she really is as she reels in her victim. She is the hurt little girl using a normal voice and body language. But we know she's play acting and that the game is deadly serious. This scene, perhaps more than any other, shows she IS a manipulator. It's a question, then, of where else in her life does she choose to use the same skill?
Body language: extreme control of self before the attack.

[31:50 - 32:10] Owen overhears conversation though wall
This time it is Thomas who is enraged. Yet again we can't see her, yet we know she's presenting to him what she's done in the tunnel. He's angry and is able to state all that to her - which shows a depth to their relationship. Yes, he's angry but this is not the end; rather, he's off to clean things up, so as to allow things to continue. If this was the end, he'd simply leave. So, despite his anger, she knows Thomas will still be there for her.
Body language: who knows.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:52 am

[34:00 - 34:17] Solved cube
Okay, sure she's not in this scene. Owen is on his way to school and find the cube, solved, on top of the jungle gym. Yet there is a non-verbal communication here by Abby. It's saying "I did it", loudly and openly to him. She doesn't after all place it by his door or on the ground by the jungle gym but rather smack center on top - in plain sight. What it's saying is "See? I (Abby) did this. Be impressed." And of course he is.

[34:30 - 36:07] Third encounter. Abby waiting for Owen at the jungle gym.
Body language: initially, waiting patiently, setting up a (planned) situation. Wearing shoes this time (also goes to non-verbal communication).
Since in our last view of her, she was the manipulative killer in the tunnel, you now have to ask "Is this also part of the act?" She is, after all, reacting and changing her behavior - setting up a situation.
"How did you do it?" "I just... twisted." "Do I smell better now?" "What's your name?" "Abby. What's yours?" "I'm Owen. How old are you?" "Twelve. More or less. What about you?" "Twelve years, eight months and nine days. What do you mean 'more or less'? When's your birthday?" "I don't know." "You don't know? Don't you celebrate your birthday? Do you get birthday presents? Well you can have this if you want." "No, that's okay. It's yours." "I still don't get how you did this." "Want me to show you?" "Yeh"
Body language: Abby continues to be still and silent when she is not in a position of strength or is trying to pass through a moment where Owen could pry at a weakness of hers. She engages when she can lead the conversation. Notice the smile from her at the point when the conversation ends. At that point the focus is on the toy, not her, yet she's the center of his attention and she's not in a threatened situation.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:41 am

[39:03 - 41:24] Fourth encounter. Jungle gym + Morse code sheets + Romeo&Juliet play.
"... it's really cool. We can talk to each other through the wall."
Body language: I think her reaction to this is genuine. She's not previously contemplated that Owen could be overhearing her and Thomas. She has to quickly take this in and triage the possible damage of this revelation.
"Can you hear me through the wall?" {Owen reacts like the discovered, guilty eaves-dropper. This fortunately for her put him on the defensive.} "Only sometimes." "Did you hear anything the other night?"
Body language: as before, this is a point where she sees a threat. Her reaction is to be placid and speak quietly. Because she did not see this coming, I don't see it as manipulative. Rather it continues her behavior when under threat. Also notice at this point, when she turns towards him, she actually turns her eyes past him without making contact and looks only at the Romeo&Juliet play as she puts it down. Her expression is one of sorrow; I see this as genuine as she's still reacting to this unexpected, possibly very damaging revelation.
"Are your parents divorced?" "My mom is dead."
Body language: I sense here a return of control within herself. She can lie her way out of the situation, if need be. But she can assess that he remains naive to the truth about her.
"My mom and dad are getting a divorce."
Body language: finally she looks at him; the threat from him is dissolving. She notice the dorky bandage... From here out she can look at him directly - even for long periods - and be assertive; the remainder is not threatening to her.

[41:30 - 42:03] Abby removes Thomas from wall so she can 'tap' to Owen
Body language: her actions and posture show she is solidly in control. She's not even announcing that she has a new friend. Rather, she's stepping past that and implying it by stating he (Thomas) is in the way. She sits down where he was and immediately dismisses him. There's no expression of dislike but there's no expression of request either - nor much of respect. He's the older/senior/adult presence, yet this has no bearing on how she is acting.

{In his mom's bedroom, Owen is -yup- wearing that coat again. Does he know he can take this off at home?}

[43:08 - ] Abby & Owen out in public @ video game / candy place.
This is "2)" from the OP. Her repeated stares at Owen, wherein he does not see her, do say a lot. I have to agree with both tman and Keepitreal. Manipulative or a growing friendship? I'll go with the latter.
@43:55: As Abby turns down Owen's initial offer of candy we get a reaction that would seem honest. "No thanks," she says as she contemplate what he's suggestion: that she eat food. Of course she knows what will happen... ergo, what follows is at least part manipulative. "I - I guess I can have one..." But might also be part trying to deny to herself what she is. Notice that yet again she becomes quieter and without expression when dealing with a threat.

[45:20 - 45:28] "3)"from the OP.
"Owen do you like me?" "Yeh. A lot." "Would you still like me, even if I was a vampire, ya know, basically a serial killer, and I have this old guy, err, let's say an x-boyfriend from, well a couple decades ago, hanging around wasn't a girl?" "What do you mean?... Uh yeh, I guess." {releases hug} "Why?" "No reason."
Body language during their embrace: she's looking over at him but without, say, a menacing expression. She can play act well, we know from the tunnel scene, but at this very moment she doesn't have to. Or you could say she's staying "in character" during the length of this little scene. I'm going to stop at this point and think about "3)" for a bit.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:29 am

[46:19-47:26] Walking home from candy store
"So, home come you moved here?" "We, uhh, we move around alot." "Yeh, well, why did you move here? Nobody moves here. I hate it here. Someday I'm going to get out, and I'll never come back. People here, they're just stupid." [Mother:] Owen! ...
Body language: Not much to say here, she's just sort of following along with him and listening. Actually, the disappearing act she pulls on him does say something. Kinda of a playful trick.

[47:35-47:51] Good-night at Owen's door
"Good night" "Good night"
Body language: I think this is the most relaxed we get to see her.

[48:01-49:54] Abby & Thomas in their apt
"Are you going out?" "Is there a choice?" "Please don't see that boy again. Okay?"
Body language: There's a lot here, marked with her silence and eye contact avoidance following the "...Okay?" from Thomas. He doesn't get an agreement with her and ends up alone at the kitchen sink realizing the failure of their situation.
This would be a difficult transition for Abby. She's just returned from a fun evening with Owen and then walks into the darkened kitchen to find Thomas preparing yet again for the necessary task of going off hunting for her. The long stares from her are combative but are not meant as outright confrontation. Yet she's not going to agree to his request that she not see Owen again, and in the end he knows he's lost. The touch, though, is tender. Is this manipulative? Or simply remembrance? - We know from the photo that they've been together for a long long time. Yes, she's being manipulative in a small way. But if this was outright sinister manipulation, he's been around her long enough that he'd know. And he doesn't react that way. Rather, he stays with the misery of watching their relationship decay. In short: she uses her body language far more than speech to say both that she still cares for him and that she does intend to see Owen again - and that she is denying his request for her to stop.

[55:55-56:05] "4) When the two kids are lying on opposite side of the apartment wall," No dialog.
Body language: Okay, equally relaxed as when she said good-night to him.

[56:06-56:26] Hears of arrest, departs to hospital. No dialog.
Body language: Look of interest - when listening to radio.

[56:27-57:59] Arrival at hospital, conversation with receptionist nurse.
"Excuse me, I'm looking for my father." "Is he a patient here?" {nods affirmatively} "Yeh, they, they brought him in. The police did." "Oh, I see." "Do you know where he is?" "Well, he's on the tenth floor, sweetie, but it's restricted. Look, why don't we give them a phone call and --" "No, no, that's okay." {walks away, revealing she has no shoes on} "Oh my God, the poor girl. / Sweetie, sweetie" ...
Body language: Her goal in entering the hospital is to find out whether and where Thomas would be. Not wearing shoes in winter weather is not something that effects her but she does know it attracts attention. Did she forget in her haste? Simply not care? Did she want to arouse interest and attention? - It doesn't make sense that she'd want to draw attention to herself, yet she does. Her body language is that she doesn't want to make a fuss or be noticed, but the absence of shoes accomplishes the opposite for her.

[58:00-1:00:00] At the hospital room window. Abby and Thomas. Almost no dialog.
"May I come in?"
Body langauge: Everything in her face and mannerisms expresses sorry and regret. Thomas' sacrifice of self is his idea. She does not show any reaction to this, other than focusing on what to do. It's hard to know what she thinks about this.

[1:00:44-1:01:00] "5)" on list. At hospital window. Abby and Detective. No dialog.
Body language: she's composed and I'd presume hoping the Detective does not look over at her. No other expressions.

Return to “Let Me In”