Did anyone else like LMI better as a film?

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

gkmoberg1

Re: Did anyone else like LMI better as a film?

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:54 am

Ahh, I misunderstood.

And so now I too wonder what the significance might have been. Where's JAL? Let's ask him.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:59 am

metoo wrote:That is what I think is significant - JAL's choice. Did he come to terms with the real Micke later in his life, and thus had no anger towards him? He killed Jonny in the novel, and regretted that he wasn't able to kill Tomas, too, but fixed that later in the movie script. But Micke still survived.
Ahh, so perhaps it was Micke sending the anonymous picture in LTODD?
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:24 am

drakkar wrote:Ahh, so perhaps it was Micke sending the anonymous picture in LTODD?
No, I don't think so. Micke was in the bath house, he would plausibly had recognised Eli, too. My favourite candidate is Johan.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:33 am

metoo wrote:No, I don't think so. Micke was in the bath house, he would plausibly had recognised Eli, too. My favourite candidate is Johan.

Now when you mention it I remember whe have been trough this before... :lol:
- Karl Ove Knausgård

broken1

Post by broken1 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:37 am

I sure wanted to, but even though I thought that the casting of Chloe and Cody was pretty darn good as far as acting ability goes, I just didn't get the same "something" out of LMI as I did with LTROI. There was such an innocence in Lena and Kare's performance that is hard to top, Ironically, Chloe as Hit-Girl in the first Kick Ass film is that same way. I wonder, if we never had LTROI and Lena, and just Chloe's performance in LMI, would everyone feel a little diffferent towards LMI?
"The only thing we'll have to fear, is the dawn as the night turns to day..."
-----"Stay" by Jeremey Hunsicker

"An open mind and an open heart are at once both the strongest and weakest qualities a person can have."
- Me

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:48 am

broken1 wrote:I wonder, if we never had LTROI and Lena, and just Chloe's performance in LMI, would everyone feel a little diffferent towards LMI?
Frankly, I don't think so. That little "something" you mention is important. I think this is absolute in the way that you'll (or some) will notice it if it's present. You dont need anything to compare with.
As a personal note, the changes made to the story was just as important as the actors' performances. I find the story of LTROI absolutely magical, and the changes done to it in LMI simply destroyed the magic for me.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:39 pm

broken1 wrote:I sure wanted to, but even though I thought that the casting of Chloe and Cody was pretty darn good as far as acting ability goes, I just didn't get the same "something" out of LMI as I did with LTROI. There was such an innocence in Lena and Kare's performance that is hard to top, Ironically, Chloe as Hit-Girl in the first Kick Ass film is that same way. I wonder, if we never had LTROI and Lena, and just Chloe's performance in LMI, would everyone feel a little diffferent towards LMI?
broken1! Welcome to We, the Infected! You raise an interesting point. I'm inclined to agree with drakkar. The "something" that infects us is there in LTROI and not in LMI. To some extent, this would be true regardless of who plays the roles. I believe the big difference lies with decisions the director made.
drakkar wrote:Frankly, I don't think so. That little "something" you mention is important. I think this is absolute in the way that you'll (or some) will notice it if it's present. You dont need anything to compare with.
As a personal note, the changes made to the story was just as important as the actors' performances. I find the story of LTROI absolutely magical, and the changes done to it in LMI simply destroyed the magic for me.
And to respond to your question about the "something," broken1. For me, LTROI is a story of two extremely lonely kids who bond deeply and take a stand together against an indifferent world. LMI, on the other hand, seems to be mostly a vampire movie that has kids in it. I think the first clue is the name change--it points to a subtle shift in what the story is about. In LTROI, Oskar and Eli have to decide to let each other in. For me, the LMI title shifts the focus to a vampire having to be invited in. In LTROI, this little "something" lays a foundation for all the big "somethings" that pull us in and keep us rooting for both characters.

In other words, I think there are two different audiences. Those looking for a rip-roaring horror movie could be quite happy with LMI. A different audience would respond to a different kind of horror--the horror of being kids who have no one to help them navigate a world that can be cruel and dangerous.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Child_Of_The_Corn

Post by Child_Of_The_Corn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Welcome to the board broken1. Not sure who said this but I saw it in a clip somewhere. He states that LTROI is about 2 lonely kids which happen to be a vampire movie and LMI is a vampire movie which happened to be kids.. or something to that affect :roll:
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Only I will remain.”

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:10 pm

Child_Of_The_Corn wrote:Welcome to the board broken1. Not sure who said this but I saw it in a clip somewhere. He states that LTROI is about 2 lonely kids which happen to be a vampire movie and LMI is a vampire movie which happened to be kids.. or something to that affect :roll:
It was Mark Kermode who said it first, many have quoted him since.
And here...

Mark Kermode has the best rants (in French ;))
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:57 pm

dongregg wrote:And to respond to your question about the "something," broken1. For me, LTROI is a story of two extremely lonely kids who bond deeply and take a stand together against an indifferent world. LMI, on the other hand, seems to be mostly a vampire movie that has kids in it...
I find LMI changed in the direction of a standard horror film (it's Hammer, after all), and I didn't like that.
I also find it very difficult to pinpoint what exactly makes the magic of the story - it's in the totality, in the balance, in John's voice which I can hear behind the letters.
Let me tell you about my first experience with the book. I'm Norwegian, and bought the book in Norwegian as a knee jerk reaction. (Norwegian and Swedish are quite similar, we mostly understand each other, however there are small but marked differences - especially in style). After starting reading it I had put it down after a few pages - I knew there was something wrong. Ordering the original Swedish - and voila, all the pieces fell into place. At his best, JAL's language is extremely precise - there are so many layers behind the sentence, which I sensed the Norwegian translation couldn't convey.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Return to “Let Me In”