Is Abby a Knight in Satan's Service?

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

danielma

Is Abby a Knight in Satan's Service?

Post by danielma » Wed May 29, 2013 11:40 pm

For a long time, I've had this belief that the story in LMI is about how society turns it back on Owen and thus forces him down a path of (supposed) Evil. Some say I'm wrong in my reading of this, but that's just how I read it. I think there are quite a few conveinant moments that point towards this. Such as the "It's 10pm, do you know where your kids are?" advert that is highlighted. Or how about the scene with the Principal where she says to Owen as clear as day: "I don't want to see you go down the wrong path" -- in this case the wrong path is that of violence which is bought upon by Abby's suggestion. So I guess by extension, in the eyes of society, Abby is the Wrong path. Right down to his parents failing him and thus forcing his hand to explore that path.

Call me crazy, but its what I see in the film. But there is something that I've noticed that no one else has bought up.

So at one point in the film Abby wears a KISS T-shirt.

As is the case with anything that challenges society, the rock band KISS was deemed satanic by a bunch of closed minded PTA waving concerened fundamentalist christians. The same types who believe that any questionable rock band is tearing apart the fabric of society. The name KISS was deemed as an acronym for meaning Knights in Satan's Service by said fundamentalist. Why does this matter to LMI you ask? Well, Owen's mother is implied to be a religous zealot (of sorts). Owen's mother is a part of that society that maybe deems Abby as the path of Evil. At the same time, a society that also deems KISS as Evil.

Maybe all of this means nothing, maybe I'm reading too much into this, or maybe its just a sly nod to the book (albeit an incorrect sly nod)...but is Reeves trying to communicate that Abby is potentially a Knight in Satans Service? At least in terms of Society's outlook towards her? Thoughts? Or Am I just nuts and reading far too much into this.
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

cmfireflies

Re: Is Abby a Knight in Satan's Service?

Post by cmfireflies » Thu May 30, 2013 4:47 am

I like your theory, about how Abby represents everything that 80's society fears, or a critique of a society that sees itself as so besieged on all sides by "evil" that it can't really tell the difference between the danger of nuclear war and black metal. And the idea that Owen, raised by a fundamentalist mother, wouldn't be able to tell the difference between stealing candy and committing murder, because hey, the punishment for both those sins is hellfire. That might make him a bit more to Abby.

A tangent: if Abby really was in Satan's service, what would be her grand plan? I mean, murders are mundane, people wouldn't need a supernatural influence to kill. So what about this: she seeks out brilliant people with lots of potential and befriends then causing them to spend their lives as serial killers. So the reason that Thomas was able to grow old with her was because he was a genius, someone who could have changed the world had Abby not entered his life. That would explain how they survived as kids, when the average 12 year old couldn't even take care of himself, Thomas was able to elude capture all these years because he was special, and Abby made sure he wasted his talent. Same thing with Owen, maybe the kid'll grow to be a great leader, or scientist, or whatever, but because he met Abby, he'll spend the next 40 years keeping her alive.

I like the title, you should go troll IMDb with it. :twisted: Or maybe I'll do it when I'm bored.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

danielma

Post by danielma » Thu May 30, 2013 6:20 am

I like the title, you should go troll IMDb with it. Or maybe I'll do it when I'm bored.
Hahahaha :lol: Funnily enough, I didn't bring this up with the intension of trolling. Although I can see why the title would drive them nuts :) But really, I have enough beef over there with one certain user. Give him any more beef and he''d probably have my head on a platter :lol:
A tangent: if Abby really was in Satan's service, what would be her grand plan? I mean, murders are mundane, people wouldn't need a supernatural influence to kill. So what about this: she seeks out brilliant people with lots of potential and befriends then causing them to spend their lives as serial killers. So the reason that Thomas was able to grow old with her was because he was a genius, someone who could have changed the world had Abby not entered his life. That would explain how they survived as kids, when the average 12 year old couldn't even take care of himself, Thomas was able to elude capture all these years because he was special, and Abby made sure he wasted his talent. Same thing with Owen, maybe the kid'll grow to be a great leader, or scientist, or whatever, but because he met Abby, he'll spend the next 40 years keeping her alive.
My god...that would be the ultimate IMDB trolling...just this claim alone:
So the reason that Thomas was able to grow old with her was because he was a genius, someone who could have changed the world had Abby not entered his life.
Would drive them nuts since some of them like to prescribe to the idea that Thomas is an idiot by comparison to Owen. :lol:

But back to answering the original tangent. The grand plan? Destroy unsuspecting people's lives I guess. Maybe the plan would be to tear that fabric of society ever so slightly...Small victory for Satan but a Victory none the less as Satan takes the innocent and corrupts it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Thu May 30, 2013 6:32 am

:lol:
The axis of just as evil! :mrgreen:
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:47 am

This thread caught my attention for more than one reason.

The reference to Kiss was most likely there to give this a period flavor. Also evidence that maybe, just maybe, Matt Reeves actually read the novel. :o

In general you are right. This is an old time morality tale where a neglected child goes down the wrong path. Owen might as well be getting mixed up in drugs, or crime or whatever.

I like the Knight reference. The original story shares much in common with medieval romances with Eli as the Knight and Oskar as his lady. (knights are supposed to be in service to their lovers) I am not sure how much of that shows up in Let Me In, but yeah, Abby is a kind of dark satanic knight if she is a knight.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

jetboy

Post by jetboy » Thu May 30, 2013 11:57 am

King of the Nighttime World - KISS

It's so sad, livin' at home
Far from the city and the midnight fun
It's so bad, goin' to school
So far from me and the dirty things that we done

I'm the king of the night time world
And you're my midnight queen
Come live your secret dream

It's so fine, lovin' with ease
Far from the house and the family fights
It's so fine, bein' with you
Bein' with me makes everything alright

Come live your secret dream, alright

It's so sad, you're not content
Far from the music and the neon glow
Ain't you glad we got the time
Far from our folks, they'll never ever know

Come live your secret dream

It sounded kind of like LTROI and LMI so I couldnt help myself, excuse me. As for using KISS as a metaphor, I wouldnt doubt it but I dont know. I remember my sunday school teacher yelling to me what KISS stood for when I wrote them all over my workbook. :lol:

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu May 30, 2013 12:56 pm

danielma wrote:For a long time, I've had this belief that the story in LMI is about how society turns it back on Owen and thus forces him down a path of (supposed) Evil. Some say I'm wrong in my reading of this, but that's just how I read it. I think there are quite a few conveinant moments that point towards this. Such as the "It's 10pm, do you know where your kids are?" advert that is highlighted. Or how about the scene with the Principal where she says to Owen as clear as day: "I don't want to see you go down the wrong path" -- in this case the wrong path is that of violence which is bought upon by Abby's suggestion. So I guess by extension, in the eyes of society, Abby is the Wrong path. Right down to his parents failing him and thus forcing his hand to explore that path.

Call me crazy, but its what I see in the film. But there is something that I've noticed that no one else has bought up.

So at one point in the film Abby wears a KISS T-shirt.

As is the case with anything that challenges society, the rock band KISS was deemed satanic by a bunch of closed minded PTA waving concerened fundamentalist christians. The same types who believe that any questionable rock band is tearing apart the fabric of society. The name KISS was deemed as an acronym for meaning Knights in Satan's Service by said fundamentalist. Why does this matter to LMI you ask? Well, Owen's mother is implied to be a religous zealot (of sorts). Owen's mother is a part of that society that maybe deems Abby as the path of Evil. At the same time, a society that also deems KISS as Evil.

Maybe all of this means nothing, maybe I'm reading too much into this, or maybe its just a sly nod to the book (albeit an incorrect sly nod)...but is Reeves trying to communicate that Abby is potentially a Knight in Satans Service? At least in terms of Society's outlook towards her? Thoughts? Or Am I just nuts and reading far too much into this.
Matt Reeves is a clever guy, so I wouldn't put it past him to do this. After all, he could've just as easily gone with the Iron Maiden T-shirt that was described in the novel, although I suppose KISS is probably more recognizable to a wider audience.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Thu May 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Do we know that Owen's mom is a religious zealot? Clearly religious, and clearly christian, but a zealot? I think not.

However, it's a fine theory, and I too see that Owen's choices are whittled down to no choice at all. Having said that, I don't see Abby as a force of evil in Owen's life.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Thu May 30, 2013 6:53 pm

cmfireflies wrote:A tangent: if Abby really was in Satan's service, what would be her grand plan? I mean, murders are mundane, people wouldn't need a supernatural influence to kill. So what about this: she seeks out brilliant people with lots of potential and befriends then causing them to spend their lives as serial killers. So the reason that Thomas was able to grow old with her was because he was a genius, someone who could have changed the world had Abby not entered his life. That would explain how they survived as kids, when the average 12 year old couldn't even take care of himself, Thomas was able to elude capture all these years because he was special, and Abby made sure he wasted his talent. Same thing with Owen, maybe the kid'll grow to be a great leader, or scientist, or whatever, but because he met Abby, he'll spend the next 40 years keeping her alive.
So ... basically, Abby is a 'Weeping Angel'. Living off the lost potential of her victims? :think: :D Dr Who reference

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

danielma

Post by danielma » Fri May 31, 2013 9:03 am

Jameron wrote:Do we know that Owen's mom is a religious zealot? Clearly religious, and clearly christian, but a zealot? I think not.
Well I did say supposedly...I mean from what little we get, it is implied that she is religiously inclined. Zealot may have been a strong term on my behalf, but I think the intent remains kind of the same. That she would be the type to "fear" the thing that is feared the most by society. I mean in that same scene with the principal, she does make the point of saying "My Son is a Good Boy". Which, I guess, could be read as her viewing her son as her wholesome and pure little boy.

Much like the "demonic rock band" that threatens to tear the fabric of society by making our good and wholesome little children into violent destructive monsters. Well couldn't the same be said for Abby? In the eyes of society, she is the evil that will coerce our children down a path of destruction.

It's why I've sort of pondered on this. I have to wonder if there is a part of LMI that is a vicious comment on Society. And most notably how Society is the one to create the monsters that lurk in the shadows as a result of relegating those problems out of their view.

I'm not saying that this is Reeves way of implying that Abby is Evil, I'm just saying, in the eyes of society, I guess you could say she would be akin to that of the "demonic" rock band "coercing" our "innocent children".

Return to “Let Me In”