Thomas asked for it?

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

sauvin

Re: Thomas asked for it?

Post by sauvin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:04 am

metoo wrote:I've not seen the thing Owen used, so I can't comment on that. But the wooden pole novel Oskar used must have been rather heavy to throw Jonny off his feet. It apparently cracked his skull, too, sufficiently to damage his hearing - maybe- permanently.

The plastic stick film Oskar used wouldn't do much harm. Still, it hearts like hell if you get a good whap on you ear, so Conny's reaction isn't that improbable.
At least as bad as being thwacked with a "rubber" hose, I should imagine. Yes, it's very painful.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Casper

Post by Casper » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:38 am

Anybody know if / when "Kvar i min bil" is or will be available for download? IIRC, there was some sort of agreement of having to wait a given time before it would be released, but I don't remember the specifics, or if there was any truth to it.
Carpe Noctem

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:47 am

Casper wrote:Anybody know if / when "Kvar i min bil" is or will be available for download? IIRC, there was some sort of agreement of having to wait a given time before it would be released, but I don't remember the specifics, or if there was any truth to it.
AFAIK it has not been released yet. However, Per is currently recording a new LP (!) with his band Gyllene Tider. Maybe it will be part of that?
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:40 am

So, for those that might be interested, I've taken a closer look on a plastic road-edge marking pole, similar to the one that Oskar used in the movie to whack Conny upon his ear.

It's almost 2 metres long (1993 mm), outer diameter 25 mm, material thickness 2,4 mm. The weight is 305 grams.
The material is orange-red plastic, of a rather elastic variety so that it bends rather than breaks if hit by a winter gale or snow from a plough. There is a band of reflective material near one end, to increase the pole's visibility during dark hours.

Yes, I did bring one home...
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:51 am

metoo wrote:So, for those that might be interested, I've taken a closer look on a plastic road-edge marking pole, similar to the one that Oskar used in the movie to whack Conny upon his ear.
Can someone realistically get hurt if struck by this pole?
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Nightrider wrote:Can someone realistically get hurt if struck by this pole?
Well, like I said before, it won't do any serious damage, but if you get your ear whacked like Conny did in the movie, it will sure hurt bad as :evil:
Last edited by metoo on Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:19 pm

metoo wrote:
Nightrider wrote:Can someone realistically get hurt if struck by this pole?
Well, like I said before, it won't do any serious damage, but if you get you ear whacked like Conny did in the movie, it will sure hurt bad as :evil:
For Americans, that pole is about six feet long, an inch in diameter with 0.1" wall thickness, weighing about eleven ounces. It's basically a gigantic drinking straw. As metoo says, it might split an ear if it's traveling fast enough when it hits. Serious injuries? It *might* break a nose, it *could* break a finger or two, but the only three ways I can see it killing anybody is 1) hit a hyoid bone with it, 2) hit a temple with it just so, or 3) let it get caught in a tornado and drive it through the victim's body.

You'll do greater damage with greater ease with a garden hose.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Return to “Let Me In”