Cops busting down doors

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

lombano

Re: Cops busting down doors

Post by lombano » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:36 pm

BurgerPrince wrote:- But who's to say that he had no warrant in his pocket to search the apartment and arrest Abby?
Would a lone cop be sent to arrest a serial killer? It seems improbable. In any case, alerting the killer(s) was a non-issue if they arrived discreetly and made sure to guard underneath the window and the door. A normal killer would have no other means of egress.
Bli mig lite.

BurgerPrince

Post by BurgerPrince » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:18 pm

lombano wrote:Would a lone cop be sent to arrest a serial killer? It seems improbable. In any case, alerting the killer(s) was a non-issue if they arrived discreetly and made sure to guard underneath the window and the door. A normal killer would have no other means of egress.
True, true. If I were the director, I would have done things a bit differently and clarified a few things for it to make a little more sense. He still could have had a warrant, but if that was the case, either he was an idiot for not bringing backup, or the police department was stupid for not providing him with backup.
...But if you meet a friendly horse, will you communicate by Morse?

Alice?Maybe

Post by Alice?Maybe » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:11 pm

metoo wrote:Cops visiting a suspected criminal's hideout without backup, and without the knowledge of their superiors, and waving a gun, is a film cliché. This never happens in reality, I would think.
Oh it happens. But absent a warrant he entered illegally and any evidence he recovered or arrests made would be nullified and suppressed. A creaking of the floor isn't enough to trigger probable cause and exigent circumstances. While I understand why he might want to break with protocol, what he does is just bad police work. He is canvassing, has no real knowledge that Thomas lives there, and certainly nothing more than a hunch about Abby. In a sense Abby is defending her home from an intruder who tries to kill her.
"I'm not a girl" (except when I am)

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:40 pm

Alice?Maybe wrote:what he does is just bad police work
And this is my biggest issue with his actions, Reeves goes to certain lengths to show us that this guy is a "good" cop, by his actions. Only to go completely against that by breaking down the door in what is clearly an illegal entry.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

jetboy

Post by jetboy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:37 am

I think this was supposed to be a case of suspended disbelief. I didnt really see it at the time and it doesnt really bother me now.

One thought is maybe it was done out of fear. Maybe his fear what with all the facts of the case made him act irrationally.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:46 am

The cop replaced the townfolks (including Lacke) in LTROI, so he had to do it.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Return to “Let Me In”