Thomas to Owen: Can the Cycle Be Broken?

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

Nicktalope

Re: Thomas to Owen: Can the Cycle Be Broken?

Post by Nicktalope » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:15 pm

Why do you insisting on the theory of the cycle Tomas - Owen? Could not be just coincidence? Why do you assume that Abby must have a careetaker? she could have survived alone a long time without major problems. I think I see in the character's behavior some signs of independence. For example, when arguing with the father because she goes out to eat. She don`t needs him to feed. And Thomas's attitude makes me think that he hunts victims not because Abby needs it, but rather for her to be dependent on him and cannot leave. In their relationship is noted that the boss is she and Thomas have a servile attitude. Old lover? Not. But rather an eternal friend zone. (IMHO)

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:37 am

Welcome Nicktalope!

So... 'the father' is not needed by Abby, you suggest. She can feed on her own. That much is true, I agree. But there is much more to her existence than feeding, and for shelter and so on she _does_ need somebody - such as 'the father' - help her out.

"Old lover? Not." you write. I think a romance that died out when this man was in his late teens, let's say, might lead to the situation we see on the screen. 'the father' looks to be a man who is older than Abby by several decades. Possibly three or four. Our only clue is the film strip - I suppose we could guess, based on when such things started to become popular. Regardless, their relationship in terms of it begin a romance - if there was one - is well over. Yet, their association could be the result of what once was.

BurgerPrince

Post by BurgerPrince » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:50 pm

I don't think this film necessarily implies that he's being used, or that he's doomed to be the next Thomas, but rather makes the viewer question if either are the case.

The way I see it, after the death of Thomas, Abby feels heartbroken and guilty over what happens, and she goes to Owen - he is all that she has left to hold onto, and thus she doesn't want him to become the next Thomas, and so later turns him. However, as hinted by the "now & later" song, this still of course has very dark implications. Before the film closes and the credits roll, the sun rises over the mountains, flooding into the window and seeming to start distorting Owen's reflection in the glass as he looks out it. This is metaphorical to how Owen, deep down, feels remorse over killing, and as he does it, the ensuing guilt may distort and consume him over the long years time to come. Simply put, the ending makes the viewer question as to which outweighs the other: Passion or Remorse? Will Owen and Abby both be buried into a living hell by the remorse they feel over taking the lives of others? Or will their love for each other give them both strength to endure the coming struggles together and feel happy with each other?

The theme, ultimately, is of letting the right one into your life. Do not let someone in who would just let you destroy yourself and throw you away just to save his or her self. Instead, let in someone whom you can have an enduring relationship with, in which both of you are understanding of each other and can be happy sharing your lives together.
...But if you meet a friendly horse, will you communicate by Morse?

Return to “Let Me In”