LTROI For Dummies

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

shaggles

LTROI For Dummies

Post by shaggles » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:24 pm

That's what I think LMI is. They seemed to feel compelled to make everything very obvious and explain the reason for everything that was going on. Don't get me wrong. It's still a very good movie but it doesn't make you think or leave itself open to debate the way the original does.

sauvin

Re: LTROI For Dummies

Post by sauvin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:16 pm

shaggles wrote:That's what I think LMI is. They seemed to feel compelled to make everything very obvious and explain the reason for everything that was going on. Don't get me wrong. It's still a very good movie but it doesn't make you think or leave itself open to debate the way the original does.
So, is Abby truly in love, or is she just putting on a long-practised act to recruit and cultivate a new Renfield?
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

shaggles

Post by shaggles » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:10 pm

sauvin wrote:
shaggles wrote:That's what I think LMI is. They seemed to feel compelled to make everything very obvious and explain the reason for everything that was going on. Don't get me wrong. It's still a very good movie but it doesn't make you think or leave itself open to debate the way the original does.
So, is Abby truly in love, or is she just putting on a long-practised act to recruit and cultivate a new Renfield?

I think that's kind of obvious in both movies. Neither Abby nor Eli is putting on an act. They both feel strong affection for and attachment to their partners. I don't call it love because I don't think a 12 yo can feel romantic love.

intrige

Post by intrige » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:13 pm

They sure can, when I was twelve my best friend had a pretty damn romantic relationship with a boy in my class. I had seen them kiss and blush and hug and write love letters to each other. Not like: I like you. More like: I love you you're so pretty looking forward to tomorrow. Etc.. Sounds like romantic love to me.
Is it this sexual stuff again? That love is only love if it's sexual? Romantic love, did you read what you wrote? You didn't say sexual love, did you? No, you said romantic love.
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

JToede

Post by JToede » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:15 pm

Very well said 'Trige. Bravo!!
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

crazychristina

Post by crazychristina » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:41 pm

I think for Matt Reeves, even more than for TA, the vampire is a fantasy. A personification of inner rage. So the question of motives is rather irrelevant. JAL takes it more at face value, hence LTODD. TA is playing it both ways. He clearly likes the fantasy idea (hand on the window as Eli arrives and leaves) but then he has said that the movie show how love can be found in the darkest places. Clearly hedging his bets.

This issue is similar to The Cabinet of Dr Caligari directed by Robert Wiene. Wikipedia has this to say:

The producers, who wanted a less macabre ending, imposed upon the director the idea that everything turns out to be Francis's delusion. In so doing, they produced the first cinematographic representation of altered mental states, similar to sensory distortions produced by recreational drugs. The original story made it clear that Caligari and Cesare were real and were responsible for a number of deaths.

I have read the opinion that the whole Harry Potter story is about a kid who fantasizes being a powerful wizard, to escape the oppressive reality of his life.
Last edited by crazychristina on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaggles

Post by shaggles » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:52 pm

intrige wrote:They sure can, when I was twelve my best friend had a pretty damn romantic relationship with a boy in my class. I had seen them kiss and blush and hug and write love letters to each other. Not like: I like you. More like: I love you you're so pretty looking forward to tomorrow. Etc.. Sounds like romantic love to me.
Is it this sexual stuff again? That love is only love if it's sexual? Romantic love, did you read what you wrote? You didn't say sexual love, did you? No, you said romantic love.
No. I meant romantic love. I could be wrong but I really don't think a 12 yo knows what that means. IMO (which is only that) kids want to be grown up and try to act the way they see adults act or think adults act. They are mimicing adult behavior. I don't think it's real or else you'd meet a lot more people who say they've been with their partner since elementary school.

jetboy

Post by jetboy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:07 am

crazychristina wrote:I think for Matt Reeves, even more than for TA, the vampire is a fantasy. A personification of inner rage. So the question of motives is rather irrelevant. JAL takes it more at face value, hence LTODD. TA is playing it both ways. He clearly likes the fantasy idea (hand on the window as Eli arrives and leaves) but then he has said that the movie show how love can be found in the darkest places. Clearly hedging his bets.

This issue is similar to The Cabinet of Dr Caligari directed by Robert Wiene. Wikipedia has this to say:

The producers, who wanted a less macabre ending, imposed upon the director the idea that everything turns out to be Francis's delusion. In so doing, they produced the first cinematographic representation of altered mental states, similar to sensory distortions produced by recreational drugs. The original story made it clear that Caligari and Cesare were real and were responsible for a number of deaths.

I have read the opinion that the whole Harry Potter story is about a kid who fantasizes being a powerful wizard, to escape the oppressive reality of his life.
I would never call it hedging his bets. The fantasy is their because Oskar fantisizes. The love is their because Oskar needs love. Eli is a nice neat little package. As I said Eli is almost too good to be true and thats why I feel that their is a spiritual component at work here.

Another movie that differed from the book in reference to whether its real or delusional and isnt considered a watering down is The Haunting. I love stories like that because to me its frightening that a persons mind can make something real out of something unreal and not know the difference between it and reality.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:12 am

shaggles wrote:No. I meant romantic love. I could be wrong but I really don't think a 12 yo knows what that means.
What do you mean with "romantic"? Most 12 yo don't know what sexual love is, but does that rule out that they know what love is? That's the core of LTROI, I believe.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

JToede

Post by JToede » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:16 am

shaggles wrote:
intrige wrote:They sure can, when I was twelve my best friend had a pretty damn romantic relationship with a boy in my class. I had seen them kiss and blush and hug and write love letters to each other. Not like: I like you. More like: I love you you're so pretty looking forward to tomorrow. Etc.. Sounds like romantic love to me.
No. I meant romantic love. I could be wrong but I really don't think a 12 yo knows what that means. IMO (which is only that) kids want to be grown up and try to act the way they see adults act or think adults act. They are mimicing adult behavior. I don't think it's real or else you'd meet a lot more people who say they've been with their partner since elementary school.
A 12 year old can feel love, even romantic love. Kids have feelings just like the rest of us. They can feel love, joy, heartbreak and sadness like an adult. But if you look at society and relationships today, a lot people 20-90+, acting totally stupid and a lot of less mature than a lot of 12 year olds I know. just my 2 cents. oh well
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

Return to “Let Me In”