LMI vs. LTROI: A few scene-by-scene comparisons

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

varamiglite

LMI vs. LTROI: A few scene-by-scene comparisons

Post by varamiglite » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:48 am

Okay so I just finished watching Let Me In and I wanted to make a few comparisons of which one I liked better than the other. I won't discredit either one because I love them both so fans of LTROI may be able to enjoy this also. Without further adieu:

Opening scene (Owen/Oskar): I have to give this one to LMI. Owen's haunting rendition of the Now & Later jingle is more appealing than Oskar stabbing air and telling his victim to squeal like a pig. Now compare that scene to Owen when he stabs air and does his "little girl" routine and I'll give it to Oskar.

First bullying scene and all bullying scenes: Again, LMI takes this one. Kenny and his clan (all their names escape me) are way more menacing than Conny's gang. At least the bullies in LMI are bigger than the person they're picking on. If Oskar wanted to he could have smashed them a lot earlier in the movie. Comparing the two Jimmys is a lot like comparing a raging fire to a glass of ice water. LMI Jimmy is scary and definitely someone I would not be caught in a dark alley with. LTROI Jimmy is a goofy nerd that probably can't instill fear into a dustbunny.

Jungle gym scene: Without a doubt LTROI! I liked Eli's wit and sass when she said "I live right here in the jungle gym." One of the best lines ever! I also liked how in your face Eli was when she jumped down and told Oskar she couldn't be his friend. Abby was kinda standoffish and I couldn't really get behind that. On a side note I thought the scene was shot better in LTROI because it showed Eli jumping down from the jungle gym whereas LMI cut away and only showed a shadow (basically) jumping down. Doing it the latter way made the scene seem too safe, if that makes any sense.

Rubik's Cube scene: This is a difficult one to declare a winner on. In a way they both conveyed different attitudes. Eli wasn't nearly as mean as Abby when she told him to go home. She almost posed it as a suggestion whereas Abby was very clear that she was making a demand, not a request. They both maintained a common curiosity in the puzzle so I cannot comment there. Eli seems fairly unmoved when Oskar approached her with the toy, but Abby was very uneasy, almost nervous. I appreciate the vulnerability that Abby showed, especially after trying to be so tough just seconds before. I prefer the line "I guess I've forgotten how" over "I don't really get cold" in regards to each boy's question on being cold. The reaction to the growling stomach also belongs to Eli. That face she makes is darn near heartbreaking and Abby's reaction is kind of, well, blah. I guess in all fairness I'd have to call this one a tie.

Introductions/ "How old are you" scene: This one's easy: LTROI! Eli is more subtle and refuses to even acknowledge the questions she doesn't want to answer. It has more of an awkwardness because she completely ignores the questions whereas Abby kinda fidgets with the ideas. The "Do I smell better?" part also belongs to Eli because she gets right up in Oskar's personal space, pretty much saying "hey check this out I took a shower for you!" Solving the cube belongs to LTROI because it's so cute that Oskar can't take his eyes off just how well Eli cleans up! He's mesmerized by her and couldn't care less about the cube.

Hit back scene: Also an easy win for LTROI. Although Chloe is a doll, Lina kills in her close-ups. The seriousness in her face makes you believe that she's not suggesting he fight back, she's flat-out telling him to fight back! LMI also has a big fail when they throw the Romeo & Juliet book into the mix. At first view it isn't a big deal, but it's just trying too hard. Also I don't see Owen having to read that as an assignment in sixth grade. I didn't have to read it until my sophomore year.

Date scene: 50/50. The first half goes to LMI due to Owen's enthusiasm towards Abby eating the candy. He wants to be able to provide for his date and it really stings when she refuses his candy, even though she does it politely. Oskar's simple reply of "too bad" is unconvincing and boring, as well as his unaffected response when Eli finally gives in. Owen is ecstatic when Abby takes his candy. It means the world to him to be able to give her something! The scene after belongs to LTROI because it packs a bigger punch by not saying the last two words. Instead of saying "no reason" Eli just stares at Oskar like "please don't make me answer that" and then breaks eye contact with him.

Father vs. No Father: Although I absolutely hate Oskar's dad I have to go with LTROI. Those scenes are necessary to really show just how pitiful Oskar's existence has always been. The first father scene is pretty nice but the second one rips that away. When a father chooses a bottle of booze over his kid he's automatically a jerk. LMI's lack of this kinda muddies just how sad Owen's existence is although his drunk, religious fanatic mother more than makes up for the absence of these scenes now that I think about it. Regardless, LTROI.

Lake scene: This one's hard because both villains got exactly what they deserved and they were both executed well. I guess if I have to choose I'd go with LTROI because Oskar looks like he just conquered the world when Conny is on the ground bawling his eyes out.

The dumb pact scene: LTROI because it doesn't rely on special effects and makeup to sell the scene. Eli doesn't turn into anything, she just wants that blood! The monster thingy that Abby turns into is kinda silly and childish. Both boys were dumb, they should have been wanting to make out, not making a blood pact. I've never tried to be "blood buddies" with someone I'm crushing on.

Virginia scene: LTROI has to take this one since Virginia was such a minor character in LMI. Not enough is known about LMI Virginia to care about her.

"You have to invite me in" scene: 100% LTROI! Lina's smile at the beginning could set the world ablaze! The loss of that smile is just heartbreaking! Oskar's challenging her is really mean but it's more convincing than Owen's. The mocking and the teasing really make me love Eli even more as she has to endure that pain to satisfy Oskar's curiosity. I don't feel the same intensity with Abby. I still feel bad for her but not as much.

"Be me a little" scene: Since this scene only exists in partial form in the deleted scenes in LMI, the other gets it by default. Had they included the scene that Chloe did in the audition tape LMI could've taken it fairly easily. Chloe nailed it every time in the audition tape.

Lacke vs. Policeman death: LTROI would have to take it because Lacke had a real reason to kill Eli whereas the policeman was just doing it out of a sense of duty. The policeman was taking his job way too seriously. Lacke lost his best friend and girlfriend.

The kiss before leaving: LTROI, LTROI, LTROI! The fact that Eli watches Oskar during the entire kiss is priceless. She wants to commit his face to memory. The kiss also seems more sincere in LTROI. The kiss in LMI seems weak and almost done out of duty.

Pool scene: LTROI because we get one last glimpse at Eli before the movie ends. Otherwise that scene is pretty 50/50 with me.

Train scene: 50/50.

Okay so that's my two cents. Take it or leave it.
slog tillbaka. hårt.

mackousko

Re: LMI vs. LTROI: A few scene-by-scene comparisons

Post by mackousko » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:33 am

LTROI is better in everything. Must be, because it´s the best movie in history from my POV. I really mean it.
LMI is better in earning money i think. :think:

let me out

Post by let me out » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:48 pm

i had to force myself to watch LTROI but i fell in love with let me in and thats what made me find the novel, and i love the story . i just think abby and owen are better than oskar and eli. truthfully i hated lina as eli.

i liked the questions the picture of abby and the young ''father'' raised ,just saying... its way different from the novel

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:45 pm

I thought Jimmy in LTROI was pretty thuggish.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:25 am

varamiglite wrote:The dumb pact scene: LTROI because it doesn't rely on special effects and makeup to sell the scene. Eli doesn't turn into anything, she just wants that blood! The monster thingy that Abby turns into is kinda silly and childish. Both boys were dumb, they should have been wanting to make out, not making a blood pact. I've never tried to be "blood buddies" with someone I'm crushing on.
It is more subtle, but Eli does turn into "old Eli" for just a moment. That is more disturbing for me and conveys the right idea. The blood pact idea may not make sense but it does serve the plot to reveal Eli as a vampire. As for not making out, I am a shy person and I suspect that Oskar is too. I think it would be realistic not to making moves on Eli in the way you are suggesting. Remember Oskar is very young and he is in uncharted waters here with his vampire girl friend.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

varamiglite

Post by varamiglite » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:45 am

gattoparde59 wrote:
varamiglite wrote:The dumb pact scene: LTROI because it doesn't rely on special effects and makeup to sell the scene. Eli doesn't turn into anything, she just wants that blood! The monster thingy that Abby turns into is kinda silly and childish. Both boys were dumb, they should have been wanting to make out, not making a blood pact. I've never tried to be "blood buddies" with someone I'm crushing on.
It is more subtle, but Eli does turn into "old Eli" for just a moment. That is more disturbing for me and conveys the right idea. The blood pact idea may not make sense but it does serve the plot to reveal Eli as a vampire. As for not making out, I am a shy person and I suspect that Oskar is too. I think it would be realistic not to making moves on Eli in the way you are suggesting. Remember Oskar is very young and he is in uncharted waters here with his vampire girl friend.
I know, I guess I was speaking more ideally than anything else. I was shy at that age too but I was also afraid of cutting myself! In all honesty I probably wouldn't have done either! I would have most likely just stood there and hoped to God she knew what was supposed to happen next. The scene had to exist so that it could be revealed that she was a vampire, but it still just seemed like an odd thing to do. I prefer "old Eli" to "goofy monster-looking Abby!"
slog tillbaka. hårt.

danielma

Post by danielma » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:57 am

I'll play along and give my take

Opening scene (Owen/Oskar): I still give this to LTROI...I'm not a fan of the whole "2 Weeks Earlier" mystery set up that LMI opens up on. I think all that does is establish the whole "Full Circle nature" of LMI and takes the story away from Owen. It takes the story away from Owen and almost (in a weird way) makes it become one of the defacto "guardian" role. I was never a fan of it...where as with LTROI, i love the fact that it opens with Oskar. It opens through Oskar's perspective. I love the creepy voice over of the "Squeal like a Pig" and then we cut to the very first image of the kid looking out the window, followed up by the arrival of the other, then followed up with the boy brandishing a knife...from the outset it opens up with a lot more intrigue for me. Who is this boy? Okay clearly something is wrong with this boy in his life. Who is this girl? Who is the somewhat creepy old man looking at her in the car? And who is the neighbour out pissing on the lawn. What I loved about the opening scene in LTROi is that that it establishes the main players and sets up the mystery all in one go.

Where as what I truly disliked about LMI is that it sets up the mystery of the caretaker and the cop and that's it. Owen's almost an afterthought in the opening. The opening establishes the mystery of the caretaker. Where as LTROI establishes its main players in one sequence. We get the feeling that Oskar is troubled (from the "squeal like a pig" comments). We get the mystery of the young girl and her creepy caretaker. And we get the character of Lacke thrown in as even he takes note of the mysterious new neighbour. It establishes from the outset the arrival of the other and how the other will effect these people's lives

First bullying scene and all bullying scenes: In terms of Physicality LMI wins hands down. If you look at Connie and then you look at Kenny, yeah Kenny is indeed far more intimidating physically...at least when compared to frail little Owen. But in terms of psychology, LTROI has the advantage. The main difference I see is that with LTROI, it feels like this is routine for Oskar. That mentally he has been conditioned into the role of the "weakling" over time. I love the way that Kare slumps his entire body after answering the cops question. Its so telling that even he knows the consequences for what it is he has just done by answering the question. That this will get him into strife with those bullies. I feel there is a psychology factor here, that these kids have so worn down Oskar that they have control over him simply because they've made him to feel weak. Which made the bullying feel like it was routine. Where as with LMI, it felt fresh to me. It felt like this was something that had only maybe just started recently. Physically speaking, LMI gets the win, those kids are far more intimidating physically...but psychology is where LTROI has its advantages.

Jungle gym scene: LTROI all the way. Like you, I love the fact that Eli has a bit of sass and wit to her in their initial meeting. I love the fact that they keep her in the distance. That she is still somewhat of a mystery. They don't really reveal her in that initial encounter and she is a mystery to Oskar. I love the fact that there is a natural progression. Oskar kind of dismisses her completely when he notices her moving in, but now she kind of has his attention a little more. There is a child like nature to their interaction. Oskar doesn't take her words to heart, if anything its actually the thing that draws his attention to her. Sets up perfectly for their next scene.

I also love the fact that within this moment, it feels like Oskar's dirty little secret is busted and there is almost a bit of a shame that comes over Oskar. You know the whole stabbing the tree thing that Eli interferes in. What I love about this is that once again it feels like this is a natural occurence for Oskar...that this is something he has been doing for quite some time. It plays into the bullying all that much more. You get the feeling that after feeling powerless in his school life, this is his one outlet for that. And that this has been something he has been doing for quite some time. He doesn't look like a newbie to this ritual of his.

Let Me In, it lacks that childish interaction. I don't know, but I always felt the scene just felt stand off by nature. But there are a few other things about the scene that annoys me. Owen stabbing the tree being the major one. It goes back to what I said above. With Oskar I got the sense that this was Oskar's dirty little secret. That this wasn't something new for Oskar, that he had been doing this for quite some time. With Owen, it felt fresh. They show him obtaining the knife. They show him stabbing the tree frantically. I don't know, I just never really felt that this was a nightly occurence for Owen...I felt like this was all fresh and all new to Owen. Especially once you progress into the film and you see that the kid is pretty easily troubled by violence. It looses something that I found interesting about Oskar, which was the slight creepy factor that Oskar had. Oskar was endearing but their was also a pretty disturbed nature to him. I didn't buy that from Owen, yet funnily enough the film tries to sell me on that.

As for the initial encounter. It isn't bad, my only complaint is that it feels stand off in nature and looses some of the childish nature that the original film had. The original film managed to keep Eli in the shadows, you get the sense that she could easily be a danger to Oskar by the way she glides down from the jungle gym. But you also get the sense of a childish nature that is maybe withdrawn in her social skills. With Owen and Abby all I got was kind of a stand off scene where you can see their interested, but they lack that childish nature.

Point to LTROI.

Rubik's Cube scene: LTROI...If you want a reason, just go read the "Tale told by Hands" essay on this site and you will have the reason. Once again its just the progression of it all. Its the progression of two hesitant kids slowly opening up scene by scene. In LMI, I feel that Owen is really yearning to open up to her from the get go. Where as with Oskar and Eli, its a slower progression. There is hesitance between them due to their outsider nature but you can see that deep down they do want to let each other in.

And I agree whole heartedly that I felt Abby was rather demanding in her "I was here first" approach...I think this is why I could never warm up to Abby...because I always felt she was demanding. Even in her scenes with Thomas when she askes him to move so she can talk to Owen through the wall. It feels like a cold demand, where as Eli felt like a child shooing away a nosy adult. But we'll save that.

But if there was one major reason as to why I pick LTROI's take, it would be the ending to the scene. Even in complete hunger pains, Eli clutches for dear life to that token of kindness that Oskar shows her (the rubiks cube)...where as Abby drops the cube and favours her hunger spasms...I think this speaks volumes for where Abby's true motives lie. Her hunger will always come first. Where as Eli, even in her hour of pain, she holds on to that token of kindness for dear life.

Introductions/ "How old are you" scene: LTROI...I love the fact that when Oskar starts to ask her questions she ignores some of them, but yet you can see in her face the pain that these questions are bringing her. I don't think she is ignoring them to be mean or ignoring them on purpose. I honestly think she ignores them because they do bring her so much pain. Like when Oskar starts questioning about her family, her getting presents, you can see the flash of pain and sadness that washes over her. Its not her being mean in ignoring these questions rather her trying to avoid showing that vulnerability to Oskar (or at least that was my take on it) cause his questions clearly are upsetting her. Which is why I say that I think Lina did an absolutely fantastic job in conveying emotion. Sure it might not be her voice, but in terms of conveying emotions, it was scenes like this that just managed to reel me in all that much more.

Although to be fair LMI is no slouch here either. This is actually one of the few scenes between Owen and Abby that I somewhat like and I do give props to Chloe and Kodi in this scene. Its one of the few interaction scenes between them that I think works well and has a sweetness to it. But at the same time, I give the edge slightly to LTROI...only because I really love the way Lina handles that scene in the way she tries not to show Oskar her vulnerability. Where as I felt Abby was maybe a little monotone by comparison. The ending of the scene...its a tie, I love the way Oskar is looking at her rather then her solving the rubiks cube...but to give LMI credit, I like the warm little moment that ends that scene between Abby and Owen as they both smile at one another. So its a tie in terms of the ending of the scene.

But the scene as a whole...I give it slightly to LTROI...because I think Lina did a slightly better job then Chloe did.

Hit back scene: LTROI...easy win for me. I love the close ups on both Kare and Lina...I love the fact that Lina flinches at the sound of "just a few kids at school" (like she knows instantly what is happening and flinches at the thought of it)...I like the fact that she is assertive with her "you must hit back, if you hit back they will stop". It's not a command, its simply her breaking him out of his shell and almost telling him "you are not worthless". It's her giving him courage and I felt it more so then I did in LMI. Once again in LMI, I wasn't really that impressed with Chloe in this scene. Once again her delivery felt monotone. Even at the reveal of what is happening to her new found friend, her expression stays the same, she never really reacts to the news and when she tells him to hit back, it once again came across as a command rather then a suggestion. With Eli I felt it was a passionate suggestion and a moment of her showing vulnerabilty, that obviously she cares for this boy and in that moment it was "hit back, because I don't think you are worthless"...its her showing vulnerabilty, which is something she has almost tried so desperately not to do up untill this point.

So LTROI for the Win...I felt Chloe was too monotone in her delivery and it once again felt like another command from Abby as opposed to a helpful suggestion

Date scene: Tie.

I think that Oskar does show disapointment when Eli does refuse his offer of candy...he instantly looks down at the ground...I think once again it seaps back into the idea that both Oskar and Eli are trying so desperately not to show one another their vulnerability. But I also like the way LMI handled the scene. I like the fact that there was a bit more of a childish interaction between them during the date...that they actually looked like they were having fun. There is a deleted scene in LTROI that I have always disapointed in that it was deleted...granted I know why it was deleted. The hickery dickery dock scene. The one where Oskar plays hickery dickery dock on Eli's back whilst they are out on their date. It's supposed to be placed after the whole "Would you like me even if I wasn't a girl?" scene. And its a really cute scene between them that captures a bit of their childish nature. I always felt it should have been included in the final cut although I do know why it was cut (it was cut, because arguably it was probably better to go out on the mystery of "I'm not a girl" to end the Date scene)...but yeah I was always disapointed that it hit the cutting room floor because it really captured that childish nature between Oskar and Eli

So this one is a tie. I like the childish nature in LMI...but yet I also like the fact that in LTROI both Oskar and Eli are still trying to hide their vulnerability from one another.

Father vs. No Father: Father all the way, so once again LTROI. It gives Oskar motive that Owen never had. I like the fact that the father is almost presented as a safe haven for Oskar. That outside of his crummy school life, this is the one place he has that he can actually feel happy in. Which makes it even more heartbreaking later on when Oskar's father rejects him in favour of the booze. Where as No Father in LMI, well it felt like a cheap ploy to get the audience to further side with why Owen would leave with Abby. I've said this before, even though it is supposed to be a heartbreaking scene, I didn't care when Owen was on the phone with his father...why? Because there was no connection between Owen and his father established. His father has been non exsistant...so why do I now care that Owen is getting his heart broken in that scene when his father has been completely shown as non exsistant in his life? With Oskar I at least had some reason to care. It established that his father was his safe haven and that is taken away as his father selfishly chooses the booze over his son.

Lake scene: LTROI...there is a sense of relief that Oskar shows that makes complete senses...its him going from "Worthless" to feeling some "Worth". Whilst at the same time there is a partial creepiness to it (in the eyes of some viewers)...personally I see it as a moment of relief after all the torment he has endured. LMI, Owen looks like he is about ready to freak out over his actions. Like "holy crap what have I just done"...if anything I felt it almost made Owen look even weaker. I get that its supposed to be a moment of internal conflict for Owen in terms or morality. But it did make me question...why would someone so adverse to violence go with someone who's life is steeped in violence?

The dumb pact scene: LTROI...I hate the demon monkey make up in LMI...I always have, I'm not gonna deny it. BUT to give LMI some credit...I do like the cute moment between Abby and Owen leading up to the Demon Monkey Make Up. But taken as a whole I like the scene better in LTROI. I like the way that Oskar and Eli feel ease around each other at this moment. I like the fact that Oskar proudly gloats to her about "hitting back"...I like the way the scene is shot, that in this breif moment, Oskar and Eli are equals to one another.

Virginia scene: LTROI by default...Virginia actually means something in LTROI where as in LMI, she's cannon fodder to advance the scene. Harsh but yeah I didn't give two craps about the Virginia stuff in LMI, so by default LTROI wins.

"You have to invite me in" scene: 100% LTROI! Lina's smile at the beginning could set the world ablaze! The loss of that smile is just heartbreaking! Oskar's challenging her is really mean but it's more convincing than Owen's. The mocking and the teasing really make me love Eli even more as she has to endure that pain to satisfy Oskar's curiosity. I don't feel the same intensity with Abby. I still feel bad for her but not as much.

You said it so wonderfully that I can't really disagree at all.

"Be me a little" scene: Hated the fact that this was deleted in LMI...If your too take the deleted scene and put it next to the "Be Me a Little" scene from LTROI...then I'm going to give this one to LMI...I think its a travesty that this scene was deleted from LMI as it was arguably (in my opinion at least) the best scene in LMI. This was the one scene that actually started to win me over with Abby...but unfortueantly it isn't the film so it can't be counted. I'm leaving this one with no answer, only because I felt it was a stupid move from Reeves to cut this scene out.

Lacke vs. Policeman death: I've made my feelings clear before. LTROI...just LTROI. I think it does everything that LMI set out to do and I think it does it better for me.

The kiss before leaving: LTROI...There is no contest here...I HATED the bloody kiss in LMI...always felt to me that Owen was still in complete shock and uncertainty over what he just witnessed which led me to believe that he was still questioning his reasons for being with Abby...where as LTROI, this is what the movie has been building towards...the moment where Oskar and Eli finally show their complete vulnerablilty to one another. By accepting (what is to be presumed) their first true kiss (as in Oskar's first kiss and Eli's first legitmate kiss)

Pool Scene: The Gore hound in me does appreciate the amped up blood shed in Reeves take. And I do appreciate the fact that Reeves amped it up to make Owen's life seem more at threat (the whole coughing for air when Owen resurfaces)...but as a whole LTROI still wins for me due to that last shared smile between Oskar and Eli :)...Also it wins simply because of the "Holy Shit" factor involved with it. Like watching that scene for the first time was truly a "Holy Shit" moment for me as I watched it unfold. I knew from reading the book that it was never detailed as to how it exactly happened, when seeing it for the first time in the film, I sat there with glee as I watched it unfold. As much as LMI tried to replicate it (and to be fair it did a decent job)...it just never had the same impact...so LTROI for me on this one

Train Scene: LTROI...to be fair both endings are different from one another.

For me the ending of LTROI is one where the question isn't so much "Will Oskar become the caretaker?" Rather it is the question of what does the road ahead have in store for these characters. There is an open ended road lying ahead for these characters

Where as the ending of LMI (to me) was "Does Owen accept what fate most likely has in store for him?"

Both are fine endings for the stories their telling...but honestly, I give it to LTROI...it captured the book a little closer in spirit and it captured the open ended possibilities a little better then LMI did. Both are fine endings, but my preference is LTROI.

Train scene: 50/50.
Last edited by danielma on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:02 am

varamiglite wrote:
gattoparde59 wrote:
I know, I guess I was speaking more ideally than anything else. I was shy at that age too but I was also afraid of cutting myself! In all honesty I probably wouldn't have done either! I would have most likely just stood there and hoped to God she knew what was supposed to happen next. The scene had to exist so that it could be revealed that she was a vampire, but it still just seemed like an odd thing to do. I prefer "old Eli" to "goofy monster-looking Abby!"
If you are willing to apply the novel to the film, as I recall Oskar was not thinking about anything romantic. He was hoping that making a blood pact with Eli might cure what he perceived to be her illness:
When she was healthy Oskar thought she was the cutest girl he had seen. But the way she looked right now she was ... you couldn't compare her to anyone. No one looked like that. Dwarves, maybe. But dwarves weren't thin like that... nothing was. He was grateful she hadn't appeared in front of the others.
"How's it going?" he asked. "So so."
"Want to do something?"
"Of course."
They walked home side by side. Oskar had a plan. They were going to enter into a pact together. If they entered into a pact together, Eli would become healthy. A magical thought, inspired by the books he had read. But magic ... surely there was a little magic in the world. The people who denied the existence of magic, they were the ones that it went badly for.

varamiglite

Post by varamiglite » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:32 am

There was one place where both films failed. They both lacked my favorite part of the book, the part where they heckle the man at the kiosk. I've read that part so many times and I laugh every time. It's also a very pivotal scene because it's just kids being kids. Oskar isn't really thinking about his bullies' torment and Eli isn't really all that focused on her troubles. For a little while they're just two carefree kids having fun. I don't know why it didn't make it to either movie. I can only assume it was because it would break down the serious nature of the films, but they needed that. They needed a silly little break in between all the seriousness! It also would have made the bedroom scene very different but again the films needed a little humor in them. I think either film could have pulled off the scenes if they would have just tried.

"Coooome, Cooom, I have candy and... banaaaaanaaas!" :lol:
slog tillbaka. hårt.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:51 am

varamiglite wrote:There was one place where both films failed. They both lacked my favorite part of the book, the part where they heckle the man at the kiosk. I've read that part so many times and I laugh every time. It's also a very pivotal scene because it's just kids being kids. Oskar isn't really thinking about his bullies' torment and Eli isn't really all that focused on her troubles. For a little while they're just two carefree kids having fun. I don't know why it didn't make it to either movie. I can only assume it was because it would break down the serious nature of the films, but they needed that. They needed a silly little break in between all the seriousness! It also would have made the bedroom scene very different but again the films needed a little humor in them. I think either film could have pulled off the scenes if they would have just tried.

"Coooome, Cooom, I have candy and... banaaaaanaaas!" :lol:
I can't speak for Reeves in this matter, but TA is quoted from interviews as having said that the matter of "balance" was very important to him. Setting light off against dark, deep against shallow and the like. He crafted the movie in such a way that it's not perfectly clear that Eli is good or evil, human or monster - and it's not clear that Oskar is a completely innocent (if troubled) boy. In so doing, he gave all of us plenty to fight about, witness that we're still doing it years after the DVD's gone off the shelves.

There've been quite a few scenes from the novel that would have steered the movie's course very sharply towards one extreme, and this is one of them. Showing the kids just being untroubled kids would have cast Eli in a much more sympathetic light, thus upsetting the delicate balance TA strove to achieve. This, I believe, is why the LTROI movie didn't include it.

With all the fighting we've been doing in recent months about where Abby stands in all this, I'd say that Reeves may have struck a similar (if somewhat less masterful) balance.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Return to “Let Me In”