Why does Abby Undress in Owen's bedroom?

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

cmfireflies

Re: Why does Abby Undress in Owen's bedroom?

Post by cmfireflies » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:01 am

I maintain the answer to this topic will always be that Abby was doing what evil vampires do best: seducing and testing Owen's loyalty at the same time.

After all, all evil vampires know that the first requirement of a human servant is that they obey your whims without question. So what better way to ensure that Owen is the kind of person who would do everything she says than by stripping naked and climbing into bed with him with a bloody mouth? If Owen was disobedient and snuck a peek, he'd see the remnants of Thomas on her chin and freak out, failing Abby's test of loyalty and getting himself murdered. If he falls asleep peacefully, it means that he will literally do anything Abby says, no matter what and would be servant material. :P
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:42 am

cmfireflies wrote:I maintain the answer to this topic will always be that Abby was doing what evil vampires do best: seducing and testing Owen's loyalty at the same time.

After all, all evil vampires know that the first requirement of a human servant is that they obey your whims without question...
I haven't seen LMI for quite a while now, but iirc there is that recurring element of Owen pondering the question of evil. Is it this element who finally convinces you about Abby being an evil manipulator?
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:31 am

I haven't seen LMI for quite a while now, but iirc there is that recurring element of Owen pondering the question of evil. Is it this element who finally convinces you about Abby being an evil manipulator?
Not really, it's more about how the scene that convinced me that Eli was sincere is not in LMI. (C'mon don't look at me like that, Eli could have been acting like Lina was acting right?!?)
Also, it's indisputable that Abby is more evil than Eli-killing a life-long friend instead of a stranger.
and I guess it's just Occam's razor, instead of talking about metabolism and the temperature of vampire flesh, it's much simpler to think that Abby deliberately undressed because she wanted to seduce Owen.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:54 am

cmfireflies wrote:Not really, it's more about how the scene that convinced me that Eli was sincere is not in LMI. (C'mon don't look at me like that, Eli could have been acting like Lina was acting right?!?)
Also, it's indisputable that Abby is more evil than Eli-killing a life-long friend instead of a stranger.
and I guess it's just Occam's razor, instead of talking about metabolism and the temperature of vampire flesh, it's much simpler to think that Abby deliberately undressed because she wanted to seduce Owen.
:oops: You're right of course. That's what we get for going off subject.

But don't you think it's possible that she deliberately undressed for the same reason Eli did? Because her clothes were bloody? I must admit that Reeves deliberately chose to make his leads more sexual, making your interpretation a real possibility. But the other possibility still exists, and may even have been her primary motive.

But, at the very least, a post-pubescent Abby would likely be aware of the effect her naked body would have on Owen.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:20 am

Apart from "bli mig lite", what scene does LTROI have that LMI doesn't? Abby killed Thomas, that's true, but a fairly convincing argument could be made for euthanasia in this case to people whose minds remain open. The rules for life, death and everything in between when you're an Abby or you're living with an Abby are apt to be very different from what you or I grew up with, no matter how rough was your hometown. It doesn't make her evil, it just makes what she has to live with evil.

The details of vampire evolution and the metabolism it confers upon the people cursed with it are actually very uninteresting to me, particularly since the only way a vampire can evolve is through change in human circumstance. What else can you say about a Dracula who went from being a monomaniacal sociopath who wanted nothing more than to dominate, consume and destroy to a puling superannuated teenager who spends several centuries pining away for his long-lost Elisabeta? Vampires went from being the ultimate mugger to socially disadvantaged communities striving to integrate themselves into the larger social fabric, even so far as to telling teenaged girls to stop trying to take their clothes off?

As pointed and prismatic reflections of ourselves, they can be amazingly revealing, witness folks in this board who steadfastly decline to believe they can or would have "biologies". Vampire bats maintain a flyable weight by excreting prodigious amounts of fluid starting within minutes of having begun to drink; why should little vampire girls be any different? There's an angelic pristine purity to a pint-sized serial murderess who feeds off moral decay as much as she does blood, said purity somehow being marred only by a need to pop a squat a few times after a hearty meal?

As for her "reasoning" (if that's the word I want) for shedding her clothes, I stand by remarks I made earlier in this thread.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

metoo

Post by metoo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:21 am

The [i]real[/i] reason for Abby as well as movie Eli to shed their clothes was for them to become as naked as novel Eli was...
Last edited by metoo on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:38 am

metoo wrote:The real reason for Abby as well as move Eli to shed their clothes was for them to become as naked as novel Eli was...
... who also stripped because ...
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

metoo

Post by metoo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:51 am

sauvin wrote:
metoo wrote:The real reason for Abby as well as move Eli to shed their clothes was for them to become as naked as novel Eli was...
... who also stripped because ...
Well, what do you think?
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

jetboy

Post by jetboy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:50 pm

I think it was multiple things, one being that there clothes were wet but also they are much more worldly than Oskar and Owen. Basically they wanted to cuddle with O and O and aren't shy about gettin' nekkid to do it. That the scenes happen right after Hakan/Thomas died should be taken into considerstion too.

gymmy64

Post by gymmy64 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:16 pm

:)

I can't buy the "seduction" motive for either Eli or Abby. In Eli's case, I think the initial reaction to Oskar's request "for a chance" rules that explanation out. If I remember correctly, Abby's reaction wasn't as adverse as Eli's, but I seem to recall that her reaction was more of exasperation rather than "aha, I have him". Abby was shown to be very capable of using her wiles to entrap a victim (the incident with the jogger), but I don't believe there was any ulterior motive in disrobing and getting into bed with Owen. She no doubt needed company after the death of her longtime companion, and its seems logical that she would take off her soiled clothing.

I will say, though, that while it's probably no big deal for Eli to get into bed with Oskar in this manner (as this is Sweden, and Eli is a boy), it's somewhat of a bigger deal for Abby not to at least ask for a T-shirt or something before joining Owen in his bed. In the United States, what Abby did wouldn't be considered such an innocent move, although we are talking about an individual who hasn't exactly led a conventional life. While I applaud the decision to keep this scene pretty much intact in a U.S. film, I think I would have liked to have seen more of a reaction from Owen. Personally, I would have been gobsmacked in that situation, but that's just my opinion. :)

Return to “Let Me In”