LMI versus LTROI DEATH MATCH ANALYSIS

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

Luftwaffles

Re: LMI versus LTROI DEATH MATCH ANALYSIS

Post by Luftwaffles » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:59 am

P.s. Go Team Eli :D
Well, the way I imagine it, Eli and Oskar are happy forever being vampires, working seasonally at a blood-bank with poor book-keeping skills.

Luftwaffles

Post by Luftwaffles » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:55 am

varamiglite wrote:I think it may be easier to decide which was the better film had LTROI featured Hakan as he was in the book to at least a minor extent. He was a pretty major character in the book and in the movie you don't really understand the dynamic of Eli and Hakan's relationship, or basically the lack thereof in my opinion. I don't think LTROI(movie) should have included ALL of the Hakan parts, but enough to understand Eli's situation more. Although I've seen both movies several times I still have no preference. Both movies are beautiful for their own reasons. Let Me In to me is simply " based" on the book and not necessarily an accurate interpretation of it, if that makes any sense.
I think it would have taken away from the movie had they put Hakan as he was in the book in it. There would have been the time problem because of how much they would have to go into it, as well as add a whole 'nother theme of Hakan wanting to help Eli for his reasons, you know. I think it woulda took away from the centering of the action/focus on Eli and Oskar's relationship.
Well, the way I imagine it, Eli and Oskar are happy forever being vampires, working seasonally at a blood-bank with poor book-keeping skills.

SPiN

Post by SPiN » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:18 am

The m-word rhymes with binipulation.

Some good discussion up in here.
The Sunday Night game is mega weak so going to start a double feature of both movies. Will probably only get thru one. Both movies are on demand now for a minute. I think LMI for a year. I taped the premier on starz last night cause I read that reeves was being interviewed afterwards. I've never seen a interview about the movie. Plus he was being interviewed by a dude on one of these boards. Hope to learn some new nuggets. I'm like 80% sure Abby loved Owen. I see you added a team Eli bumper sticker to your Avatar luftwaffles.
im worried that we may have gotten our lunchables mixed up

SPiN

Post by SPiN » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:25 am

Luftwaffles wrote:I really like them both. LMI is what got me to find LTROI in the first place, but LTROI is by far my favorite :wub:

I was just kidding about the deathmatch thing. I just thought it would be a funny title, not suggesting "two man enter -one man leave!" (Mad Max: Thunderdome anyone?) lol : ) I was mainly just putting down some thoughts that I had during rewatching the movie in light of LTROI. I read somewhere that Chloe G Moretz couldn't really see in the vampire makeup, as the eyes were opaque minus a teeny little bit. So when she has to run from the basement she mentioned she kept worrying about falling as she turned the corner lol.

The barefoot look was a nice touch. Some times they loOked like size tens in sOme scenes. When she whipped around the corner that was some for real agility. I wasn't too keen on her climbing the tree. It could have been more fluid. Im glad I got to see this movie. I could have totally over looked it but glad I saw it.

I know everyone is good with the ending. We all have an idea of what happened next.
Would it absolutely freak you if JAL did a prequel or something like that? I like it as is. I do. But I want more. But no saturation tho. Just an idea.

DarkGuyver

Post by DarkGuyver » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:34 am

Luftwaffles wrote:I really like them both. LMI is what got me to find LTROI in the first place, but LTROI is by far my favorite :wub:
I feel the exact same way, expect I tend to like the book better for obvious reasons.

Luftwaffles

Post by Luftwaffles » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:52 pm

SPiN wrote:

I was just kidding about the deathmatch thing. I just thought it would be a funny title, not suggesting "two man enter -one man leave!" (Mad Max: Thunderdome anyone?) lol : ) I was mainly just putting down some thoughts that I had during rewatching the movie in light of LTROI. I read somewhere that Chloe G Moretz couldn't really see in the vampire makeup, as the eyes were opaque minus a teeny little bit. So when she has to run from the basement she mentioned she kept worrying about falling as she turned the corner lol.

The barefoot look was a nice touch. Some times they loOked like size tens in sOme scenes. When she whipped around the corner that was some for real agility. I wasn't too keen on her climbing the tree. It could have been more fluid. Im glad I got to see this movie. I could have totally over looked it but glad I saw it.

I know everyone is good with the ending. We all have an idea of what happened next.
Would it absolutely freak you if JAL did a prequel or something like that? I like it as is. I do. But I want more. But no saturation tho. Just an idea.
Have you read about "Let the Old Dreams Die"? It's the follow up epilogue to the epilogue where Abby/Owen, Eli/Oskar are on the train and tells what happens next. There's probably a good link on here, but finish reading the book first if you haven't, then read about Let the Old Dreams Die.

SPiN

Post by SPiN » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:39 pm

Luftwaffles wrote:
SPiN wrote:

Have you read about "Let the Old Dreams Die"? It's the follow up epilogue to the epilogue where Abby/Owen, Eli/Oskar are on the train and tells what happens next. There's probably a good link on here, but finish reading the book first if you haven't, then read about Let the Old Dreams Die.
nah man, havent read LTODD, great title btw.
im still reading the novel and i love it.
i think its an advantage for me since i saw both films, (LMI first)
i kinda have an idea what happens in LTODD from reading absolutely every post on this site. but i refuse to check out LTROI or Novel forums.
im just bit ready. i think im not built for that kind of discussion. im more of a LMI guy, even tho i have to continually fend off scenes of the m-word on Abby's part.
i get why people love LTROI. its a great film. but is it ok for me to like LMI and LMI only? i like reeves' version of the story. yea, he rips off some scenes from the original. thats not a good look.
and the kid actors in LTROI were great. i particularily like how they filme hakkan. he was truly a helper in every sense. a robot. like, "hmmm, what should i do tonight? watch jersey shore of get some blood for eli?" he went out and got that blood. the scene where they first get to the apartment was classic...in the back of the cab, eli humming (or singing) and hakkan looking over approvingly
then getting to the apt and eli walking in to the complex while hakkan dragged the bags and had to carry everything himself. i knew there was no love there, so i was good with Eli "hunting" oskar.
but with LMI, i FELT for Thomas. reeves did a great job with making me and the audience think there was something there. Thomas posted up in the room looking to his photobooth photo with abby made me know it was legit. all the B.S. he went thru every night for the girl was genuine. not like running to 7-11 to get her a gallon of milk. but stalk dude to get abby a gallon of blood. he should have gone after women...sounds horrible, but that would have probably been easier to bonk a unsuspecting chick on the dome, drag her to woods and do the work.

i now have an idea for a new post!

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:25 pm

The whole concept of a blow-by-blow comparison between LMI and LTROI does seem to have possibilities, and it's one that others have taken on before (snoop around the LMI section, you'll see), but strikes me as having somewhat limited return value. They are overall the same story, but with enough difference to make them separate works in their own right. I think it might be more instructive to look for similarities rather than differences.

I found it interesting the OP dragged out Stephen King's Carrie into the fray, something I'd done a couple years ago in trying to suggest how the work is an indictment of high school society. Carrie, too, had an openly religious mother (and why can I never remember an example of an oppressively religious father to a Carrie-like teenager?) and a perfectly miserable life at school. The clearest image I retain from the movie is of Carrie's stately walk off the stage at the dance. Her transformation from a painfully shy and bullied schoolgirl into a vengeful monster began with unexpected (and unrealistically heavy) menarche and was completed by the blood baptism at the dance; for her, the story is already over.

Shortage of time prevents a closer look at this image and its possible parallels to LMI, but I'd suggest that Owen (and by extension, at least to a degree, Oskar) is the Carrie for whom the Abby or Eli is a powerful telekinetic gift and the normally relatively quiescent atavism resident in us all.

Bringing Frankenstein into the picture is a bit more troublesome, especially since I might yark on and on about the novel that I fear most people haven't read; this modern archetype is known best and most widely through the screen treatment of the 1930s, and there are important differences.

Victor Frankenstein set out to defeat death when his mother died while he was still very young. His consuming passion in the pursuit of this goal only allowed him to ask how it could be accomplished; he never questioned whether or not he should. When he saw the dull-eyed and yellowish translucent skin viewed that were the fruits of his labours, he abandoned the monster and fled, spending the next four months recovering from some kind of illness.

There are Some Places Man is Not Meant to Go, but Victor Frankenstein, in his zeal and his arrogance, went there anyway, oblivious to the possibility of consequence. The novel's subtitle, "The Modern Prometheus", should have warned the reader that something in this vein was going to happen. The POV of the Frankenstein monster itself was given considerable time in the novel in which he proved to be articulate and sensitive, not the mindless grunting brute of the movies. For both creator and monster, the whole novel was a tragedy.

I don't see that there's a great deal of parallel between this story and the three we're concerned with. The novel says that Eli was "created", too, but not by a man looking to address a human problem, and I think this makes a bit of difference. The isolation all these monsters have to live with is a common theme, yes, but for neither of the vampire girls does the story turn into one of retribution.

I've said in other topics that Eli's most prominent characteristic is dualism. She's mostly human - except when she's not. As such, even though she's not tied to the lunar cycle and doesn't bay at the moon, I'd think that if we had to compare notes with other archetypal monsters, it'd be with the werewolf. It's a harder case to make with Eli than with Abby, because Eli's overall outward appearance doesn't change when the beast takes over. Another example of a semiarchetypal monster of the werewolf genre is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

I agree fully that there's an overall theme of transformation (or would the word "transmogrification" be more appropriate?), with movie Eli and Oskar both experiencing birth, Abby experiencing rebirth of sorts as a new Thomas cycle begins, and Owen...

... well, I'm not completely satisfied with any conclusion I've seen drawn where Owen is concerned. I have some questions that seem to have a direct bearing on the nature of his future relationship with Abby.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

intrige

Post by intrige » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:51 pm

And for the poolscene for both movies.
View the whole thing.
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Luftwaffles

Post by Luftwaffles » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:20 pm

sauvin wrote:The whole concept of a blow-by-blow comparison between LMI and LTROI does seem to have possibilities, and it's one that others have taken on before (snoop around the LMI section, you'll see), but strikes me as having somewhat limited return value. They are overall the same story, but with enough difference to make them separate works in their own right. I think it might be more instructive to look for similarities rather than differences.

I found it interesting the OP dragged out Stephen King's Carrie into the fray, something I'd done a couple years ago in trying to suggest how the work is an indictment of high school society. Carrie, too, had an openly religious mother (and why can I never remember an example of an oppressively religious father to a Carrie-like teenager?) and a perfectly miserable life at school. The clearest image I retain from the movie is of Carrie's stately walk off the stage at the dance. Her transformation from a painfully shy and bullied schoolgirl into a vengeful monster began with unexpected (and unrealistically heavy) menarche and was completed by the blood baptism at the dance; for her, the story is already over.

Shortage of time prevents a closer look at this image and its possible parallels to LMI, but I'd suggest that Owen (and by extension, at least to a degree, Oskar) is the Carrie for whom the Abby or Eli is a powerful telekinetic gift and the normally relatively quiescent atavism resident in us all.

Bringing Frankenstein into the picture is a bit more troublesome, especially since I might yark on and on about the novel that I fear most people haven't read; this modern archetype is known best and most widely through the screen treatment of the 1930s, and there are important differences.

Victor Frankenstein set out to defeat death when his mother died while he was still very young. His consuming passion in the pursuit of this goal only allowed him to ask how it could be accomplished; he never questioned whether or not he should. When he saw the dull-eyed and yellowish translucent skin viewed that were the fruits of his labours, he abandoned the monster and fled, spending the next four months recovering from some kind of illness.

There are Some Places Man is Not Meant to Go, but Victor Frankenstein, in his zeal and his arrogance, went there anyway, oblivious to the possibility of consequence. The novel's subtitle, "The Modern Prometheus", should have warned the reader that something in this vein was going to happen. The POV of the Frankenstein monster itself was given considerable time in the novel in which he proved to be articulate and sensitive, not the mindless grunting brute of the movies. For both creator and monster, the whole novel was a tragedy.

I don't see that there's a great deal of parallel between this story and the three we're concerned with. The novel says that Eli was "created", too, but not by a man looking to address a human problem, and I think this makes a bit of difference. The isolation all these monsters have to live with is a common theme, yes, but for neither of the vampire girls does the story turn into one of retribution.

I've said in other topics that Eli's most prominent characteristic is dualism. She's mostly human - except when she's not. As such, even though she's not tied to the lunar cycle and doesn't bay at the moon, I'd think that if we had to compare notes with other archetypal monsters, it'd be with the werewolf. It's a harder case to make with Eli than with Abby, because Eli's overall outward appearance doesn't change when the beast takes over. Another example of a semiarchetypal monster of the werewolf genre is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

I agree fully that there's an overall theme of transformation (or would the word "transmogrification" be more appropriate?), with movie Eli and Oskar both experiencing birth, Abby experiencing rebirth of sorts as a new Thomas cycle begins, and Owen...

... well, I'm not completely satisfied with any conclusion I've seen drawn where Owen is concerned. I have some questions that seem to have a direct bearing on the nature of his future relationship with Abby.

It's not a "which is better" type post. Cause there isn't one; just the one I love more -and that's subjective. And there is absolutely, positively, no way I could sum up a character worth of analysis in that post or any post. As for the title, I was mainly just poking fun at the "black and white, you gotta be a fan of one or the other-ness" of the movie. They are both nice, and both have a place in my heart :wub:

The Frankenstein analogy was just in the fact that Eli has no one else in the world and is plagued with lonliness, hence she's tragic like Frankenstein, and in that way, different from the tragic-nature of Abby in LMI. I think the big thing is that Abby loves Tomas. That's why she was and stayed with him; it's DEFINITELY not manipulation at all. I don't think there is any at all there. I think she loved Tomas, just as she now loves Owen, hence, that's why it's a sad love story different from the love story in LTROI. Just different dynamics :D

Return to “Let Me In”