First time caller, long time listener...

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

Frogster

Re: First time caller, long time listener...

Post by Frogster » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:07 am

The first two make sense. Apparently in some vampire lore the rule applies to churches and homes, so it makes sense within the context of the movie. But it got me wondering how she would even find out about the rule without dying. I guess in the book Eli was held somewhere when he was turned and found out there?

Any insight from the book on why she takes her clothes off (is that scene even in the book)? Hopefully I can read it soon, the copy at our library was missing, but they've ordered another one.

I hear "Let's Dance" now. I wasn't even listening for a song in those places lol.

lombano

Post by lombano » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:38 am

SPiN wrote:
lombano wrote:
Bustedstuff15 wrote:I also really wish Reeves had left in the Be me a little scene.
Me too, it's not just that this scene in and of itself is pretty good, but it would really make Abby more sympathetic, and it fits in well with the whole 'puberty/sexuality gone wrong' motif.
For me, more is better. If he would have left in every scene and it ballooned to three hours I would absolute love watching it. The "be me a little" should have been kept. Yes. But let's hope the supreme BluRay edition includes more stuff. I hope that special edish is in the works.
That's the only deleted scene I've watched, so I can't say about the others. But that one would definitely have added to the film.
Frogster wrote: 3) Why did Abby take off her clothes when she got in Owen's bed?
They were probably wet with snow and blood, and therefore uncomfortable.
Bli mig lite.

SPiN

Post by SPiN » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:19 am

Uncomfortable for which? Abby or Owen? Just curious.
That was a solid scene. Owen fell for Abby at this point and wanted to make it official.
I always think about Abby askin if anything is different once you go steady. That was cute and awkward. You could feel the dejection on his part when she wanted things to stay the same. We've been there. And when she relents and says yes, our man Owen is on top of the world. I like the musical score that follows. You get a rush. It definitely adds to the emotion of that scene and all the others.

Watching it again tonight after the Stanford/SC game. Hope it's a different ending this time.
im worried that we may have gotten our lunchables mixed up

lombano

Post by lombano » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:30 am

SPiN wrote: Uncomfortable for which? Abby or Owen? Just curious.
Probably both. Even if Abby is insensitive to cold, that doesn't mean she wouldn't mind wet clothes.
Bli mig lite.

DavidZahir

Post by DavidZahir » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:37 am

Yeah, its a different thing--not feeling the cold weather very much as opposed to clothes that are soaking wet, and bloody. I wonder if maybe she also wanted to feel a little less alone? A little more "normal" as in "not covered with her best friend's blood." Maybe.

Methinks we usually do things for lots of reasons.
O let my name be in the Book of Love. If it be there I care not
For that Other great Book above. Strike it out! Or write it in anew--
But let My name be in the Book of Love!
-- Omar Kayam

lombano

Post by lombano » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:08 am

DavidZahir wrote: I wonder if maybe she also wanted to feel a little less alone? A little more "normal" as in "not covered with her best friend's blood."
Probably. Maybe, also she didn't want to sully Owen's bed with Thomas' blood.
Bli mig lite.

varamiglite

Post by varamiglite » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:15 am

Frogster wrote:The first two make sense. Apparently in some vampire lore the rule applies to churches and homes, so it makes sense within the context of the movie. But it got me wondering how she would even find out about the rule without dying. I guess in the book Eli was held somewhere when he was turned and found out there?

Any insight from the book on why she takes her clothes off (is that scene even in the book)? Hopefully I can read it soon, the copy at our library was missing, but they've ordered another one.

I hear "Let's Dance" now. I wasn't even listening for a song in those places lol.
I've just started reading it again for the second time a few days ago but I don't recall it giving any specific reason as to why she removed her clothes. I assume it is like another person said on here that the clothes were wet and bloody and she didn't feel comfortable in them. As for how vampires find out about the no invitation equals death rule, it's a safe bet this is a lesson learned the hard way by trying to enter uninvited and it not going so well. Perhaps it's instinctual but if I were the one telling the story I would make that a lesson they have to learn through experience, just like how children learn not to grab a hot skillet with their bare hands. I'm guessing since she had no vampire role model every lesson had to be learned via painful experience. How did she learn she couldn't eat candy or any normal food after being turned? How did she know what sunlight would do to her? I think it all comes down to firsthand experience.
slog tillbaka. hårt.

Frogster

Post by Frogster » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:14 am

lombano wrote:
DavidZahir wrote: I wonder if maybe she also wanted to feel a little less alone? A little more "normal" as in "not covered with her best friend's blood."
This is probably it...she didn't want to stain the sheets with the blood

would not be nice to wake up to that in the morning

SPiN

Post by SPiN » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:58 am

Frogster wrote:
lombano wrote:
This is probably it...she didn't want to stain the sheets with the blood

would not be nice to wake up to that in the morning
My buddy tman brought this up and i wanted your take. When Abby is getting cleaned up after the let me in scene...Owen is bagging her bloody stuff over the sink. But doesn't toss in Abby's KISS shirt. What's up?
im worried that we may have gotten our lunchables mixed up

gymmy64

Post by gymmy64 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:12 pm

varamiglite wrote: I'm guessing since she had no vampire role model every lesson had to be learned via painful experience. How did she learn she couldn't eat candy or any normal food after being turned? How did she know what sunlight would do to her? I think it all comes down to firsthand experience.
True, it can be seen from Virginia's experience in the Swedish film that lessons regarding food and sunlight are learned rather quickly. I don't know if we can assume that Abby didn't have a vampire role model, or at least someone to give her a few pointers either intentionally or by example. I know that Moretz and Reeves had a whole backstory for Abby's maker, but even if you ignore all of that, I don't think it's that far of a stretch to imagine that her maker did more than simply turn the girl and left.

Return to “Let Me In”