Variation: Abby meets Thomas at 40

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

sauvin

Variation: Abby meets Thomas at 40

Post by sauvin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Some of the convo in other topics is asking who might play Abby and Owen, or Eli and Oskar, in a sequel. On of the problems, naturally, is that the children who acted these roles are not immortal, and are now no longer children. Too bad for us, but I think I speak for us all in wishing all four children very long, happy, successful, healthy and rewarding lives.

For some stupid reason, a variation on the LMI story occurs to me, though. Suppose Abby or some other Eliform vampire were to meet a Thomas or an Oskar at 40? The vampire's backstory doesn't need to change much, if at all, but an already hardened and embittered Thomas or Oskar is probably still a socially isolated and alienated man, educationally disadvantaged and whatnot. Maybe he's living under state supervision in the place of parents. Whatever.

The man and the vampire could still have considerable common ground, albeit not quite the same kinds of common grounds the vampires shared with their preteen boyfriends. Love is still possible, a la Leon (The Professional). Would there be any fodder here for a variation on canon without a Hakan-like element?
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

DMt.

Re: Variation: Abby meets Thomas at 40

Post by DMt. » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:30 pm

I think you're answering your own question, Suave; you'd be better off writing it 8-)

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:35 pm

DMt. wrote:I think you're answering your own question, Suave; you'd be better off writing it 8-)
You overestimate me badly, I fear.

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:44 pm

Hmmm...so how is 'Blood Sausage and Beer' going, anyway? I see it ending up as something like your 'Eli's Curse', only the other way around and with a strangely happy ending :twisted: - Abbie Lee drifts into a hard-bit little cornfield town, meets a nasty old curmudgeon with a heart of gold, rather brutally gets him out of a fix, and somehow finds a new way to get by...sorry, I feel like I'm reading your notes and diaries now.

Just don't tell me you couldn't do it, that's all, or there'll be trouble.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:10 pm

DMt. wrote:Hmmm...so how is 'Blood Sausage and Beer' going, anyway? I see it ending up as something like your 'Eli's Curse', only the other way around and with a strangely happy ending :twisted: - Abbie Lee drifts into a hard-bit little cornfield town, meets a nasty old curmudgeon with a heart of gold, rather brutally gets him out of a fix, and somehow finds a new way to get by...sorry, I feel like I'm reading your notes and diaries now.

I agree. You've laid out the outline. Sauvin's only possible excuse is writer's block. Otherwise.... ;)
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:16 am

PeteMork wrote:
DMt. wrote:Hmmm...so how is 'Blood Sausage and Beer' going, anyway? I see it ending up as something like your 'Eli's Curse', only the other way around and with a strangely happy ending :twisted: - Abbie Lee drifts into a hard-bit little cornfield town, meets a nasty old curmudgeon with a heart of gold, rather brutally gets him out of a fix, and somehow finds a new way to get by...sorry, I feel like I'm reading your notes and diaries now.

I agree. You've laid out the outline. Sauvin's only possible excuse is writer's block. Otherwise.... ;)
It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a door slammed...

EEA

Post by EEA » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:30 am

I agree. You should write out the story. To me I imagined Thomas living with his mother and getting ready for church. Probably his mom has brain wash him with her religious beliefs and Abby comes and helps him.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:34 am

EEA wrote:I agree. You should write out the story. To me I imagined Thomas living with his mother and getting ready for church. Probably his mom has brain wash him with her religious beliefs and Abby comes and helps him.
You don't want to know what I'd do with religious themes. Besides, it'd probably just get me banned from the board.

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:17 am

Sorry, Sauvin, no bullying intended.

I take issue only with the notion you couldn't do it, the rest is, of course, your business and your freewill.

[Abbie Lee's middle name could be 'Norma'... :lol: ]

[A friendly local pig farmer is SO useful for corpse disposal... :twisted: ]

DavidZahir

Post by DavidZahir » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:09 pm

'Tis a good idea for a fanfic, no matter how you look at it. :ugeek:
O let my name be in the Book of Love. If it be there I care not
For that Other great Book above. Strike it out! Or write it in anew--
But let My name be in the Book of Love!
-- Omar Kayam

Return to “Let Me In”