abby and owen..together forever?

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

lombano

Re: abby and owen..together forever?

Post by lombano » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:23 am

Welcome, Mikedup!
DavidZahir wrote: Let us phrase the question in a different context. "Will Annie want to have children. She was married to Bob and did not have any, by choice. Now she's married to Charlie so I guess we can assume they won't have any as well." You can assume that, but real life will trip you up. And why? Because people are complex like that. And because Annie-and-Charlie can never, ever be a carbon copy of Annie-and-Bob.

Same thing with Abby and her two companions we know of. They are not twins, clones, copies of one another. Each has a unique relationship with Abby. Which is not to say Abby will turn Owen, only that she still might.
A closer analogy might be divorce. If your first marriage ended in divorce, that statistically correlates with a higher probability of a second marriage ending in divorce compared to all marriages, and so on with every subsequent divorce. It is not a certainty, but the probability does increase. Likewise, Thomas' fate does not absolutely mean Owen will share the same fate, but it does suggest it, and Owen himself seems to think so.
DavidZahir wrote: Frankly, my own interpretation of events is that Abby does not need a protector. She finds one useful, and I'm not at all sure many have gone as far as Thomas did. But another child would be close-to-useless in that respect. What Abby wants is a companion. The need Thomas and now Owen fulfill seems to me emotional.
I agree completely.
DavidZahir wrote: If Abby and Owen are especially close, if she grows to love him more than others, then she might well turn him. Given LTODD, and that LTROI remains the template from which the American film arose, I'd say it likely.
LTODD isn't canon for either film, and it didn't inform either film.
Bli mig lite.

Angelalex242

Post by Angelalex242 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:30 am

But LOTDD WAS written to eliminate the idea that Eli (and by association, Abby), are out to use and abuse their respective boys.

It is only grarunteed to be true for Oskar and Eli in bookverse.
It is about 99 percent likely to be true in LTROI verse, as it is supposed to be a faithful adaptation of the book.

But this is the LMI board...

I think the probability of LOTDD defining LMI is still about 90 percent, and as such, I'd make the argument that Owen will most probably be turned.

The difference between LMI and LTROI is mostly sexual, with the former being so and the latter not.

DavidZahir

Post by DavidZahir » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:33 pm

And Matt Reeves said that any sequel would have to be based on Lindqvist.
O let my name be in the Book of Love. If it be there I care not
For that Other great Book above. Strike it out! Or write it in anew--
But let My name be in the Book of Love!
-- Omar Kayam

Lee Kyle

Post by Lee Kyle » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:43 am

I would love to know where Reeves said this. Thanks!

SPiN

Post by SPiN » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:47 am

My opinion is (if just considering LMI)is no

After it ended, I was bothered. My mind immediately raced back to previous scenes to make sure I didn't miss anything. I thought it was a happy ending. But not really. Some seriously bad stuff happened. Futures of the those in Los Alamos have been radically changed. This is bad. As of this moment I would hope Owen would wise up and separate. I feel hes not scared of Abby. Just doesn't want to let her down. She is everything to him. But his mind hasn't matured. Your girlfriend is a killer.
im worried that we may have gotten our lunchables mixed up

VampireKing

Post by VampireKing » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:20 pm

The thing that stuck out for me is I don’t think Abby has ever been in love before she met Owen I think she may have had many companions who have liked her but I don’t think she ever liked them back.

Owen brought out the human side do Abby something nobody else not even Thomas did. With Owen Abby could be happy and the girl she hasn’t been for a long time. I do believe Owen fell for Abby a lot quicker than she did him and the moment when Abby truly fell in love with Owen was when he accepted her for her even when he found out she was a vampire. You could tell the way she beamed when she saw him.

As fare as Thomas goes Abbys relationship with him was totally different to the one she had with Owen. For starters Abby has no romantic feelings for Thomas he was simply her caretaker who looked out for her during the day

Do I think Abby will turn Owen I actually think she will because he’s special to her and if Owen asks I think she’ll make an exception

VampireKing

Post by VampireKing » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:06 pm

i have heard many posts about this and most have compared Owen and Thomas and i think its stupid because both mean different things to Abby

I think Owen is the first boy in a long time that Abby has had any romantic feelings for and i think one of the main reasons that Abby fell in love with Owen was because he brought out the human side to her and treated her as if she was a normal girl taking her on sweet dates to the store and hanging out. The other main reason that sealed Abby's love for Owen was after he found out she was a vampire he still loved her and accepted her for who she was and i think that meant everything to Abby as she never really had anyone love her for her before. Even after Abby left in that Taxi she still kept an eye on Owen and using her ability to read peoples minds she was able to see that Owen was in danger from his bullies and returned to Los Almos even tho it was dangerous to do so to save him that right there shows the love she had for Owen to risk her own life to save his. After this I think Abby and Owen both realised that they loved eachother to much to let one another go. This was never shown in the film but its believed after the events at the pool Abby flew her and Owen back to the apartment complex so Owen could pack his bags and write a note to his mom to let her know he was safe and well and then they board the train and that's what we see at the end as the film ends.

I do think once they reach their destination Owen will tell Abby that he loves her and wants them to be together forever and he will ask her if she will turn him in to a vampire freezing him at the physical age of 12 just like her. Of course at first Abby will refused not wanting to put someone through the same things she has gone through but she will come to realise she loves Owen to much to loose him and she will agree to turn him. Once Owen has been turned Abby will have to find him blood because she will know as a new vampire he will be hungry for blood. I assume Abby and Owen will finally settle down somewhere and obviously change their look so no one will reconise them they will also have to find a caretaker who will be able to serve them and look after them as they sleep in daylight hours.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:49 am

So much to unpack here, @VampireKing.

If you are a writer, you are well set to launch into a strong fan-fiction. And whether or not you are a writer, your critique and thoughts reveal you have worked out a strong line of reasoning on how Abby & Owens' lives went from the swimming pool carnage, back to his house, and then about the life they are escaping to.

I, by comparison, have not considered that the depth of Abby's love for Owen to be stronger than what she ever felt for Thomas. My view has been that she was once just as much committed to young Thomas as she is now to Owen. In LMI, there is a very short view of a strip of picture film negatives in which we see Abby sitting next to a young boy. While the movie does not explain this image, I think the negatives show Thomas when he was much younger, almost Owen's age. "Why should Thomas not have at that age been just as much a friend & love of Abby as Owen is now?" is what I take away from this.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:51 am

Please excuse me, @VampireKing. I was excited by your postings and forgot to welcome you to our forum. Welcome! :D

BurgerPrince

Post by BurgerPrince » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:22 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:49 am
...I, by comparison, have not considered that the depth of Abby's love for Owen to be stronger than what she ever felt for Thomas. My view has been that she was once just as much committed to young Thomas as she is now to Owen. In LMI, there is a very short view of a strip of picture film negatives in which we see Abby sitting next to a young boy. While the movie does not explain this image, I think the negatives show Thomas when he was much younger, almost Owen's age. "Why should Thomas not have at that age been just as much a friend & love of Abby as Owen is now?" is what I take away from this.
Last night, I re-watched LMI for the first time in years. The impression I get is that Abby doesn't want another Thomas. They loved each other, but the relationship couldn't work. As Thomas got older, they couldn't match each other's psychological needs. Abby needs someone to be 12 with her while Thomas needs someone to grow with her. He would have wanted a job, wife, children, and remembrance, which Abby precluded him from having. She's grieved to kill him. Coming to Owen's bed immediately afterward, she wants to "keep things the way they are" with him because she doesn't want to repeat the way they went with Thomas.

Another element is that she doesn't want Owen involved in her vampirism, but he has to be involved anyway, even as a mortal. The tragedy is that he has to spend the rest of his life as a murderer. Depending on what he and Abby do, that could be decades, centuries, or even millennia. The short route condemns them to another failed relationship and isolation until Owen's death. The long route is heavier, but they would always have each other to bear them through it.

Both partners would be initially reluctant to turn Owen. Abby, however, had decades to deal with the consequences of her "reluctance" with Thomas, hence she is likely to turn Owen as Eli turns Oskar. Owen, willing to bear anything for Abby, would accept her decision.
...But if you meet a friendly horse, will you communicate by Morse?

Return to “Let Me In”