Abby in Official Shooting Script

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

lombano

Re: Abby in Official Shooting Script

Post by lombano » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:58 am

The flashback scene would've helped enormously because it shows us Abby sharing something painful and personal that she didn't absolutely have to, and that would've shown a much deeper commitment on her part than merely being lonely and liking Owen. That she would show it to Owen is important, but I also think the scene in itself makes Abby more sympathetic - yes, we know she's unhappy being a vampire, but it would add to her tragedy.
cmfireflies wrote: I would have loved the idea of Abby falling asleep with Owen to the point of being burned by the morning sun. Not only does it speak to Abby's innocence and vulnerability
Yes, or some equivalent plot device - as it is, one is left with the impression she will always put her needs ahead of anyone else (her dealings with Thomas, her dropping the cube when she's hungry) - the bleeding scene failed to dispel this impression for me because we've already seen her being pretty reckless.
cmfireflies wrote: I didn't like the "be me a little scene" though because of the shaky camera used and how much it resembled a rape (although I think Reeves has said that it wasn't a rape?) I think the average audience would watch that and think, "oh so she's a manipulative monster because she was raped and turned and now preys on weaker boys.
Even in context, Owen touching his neck is the only reason to view it as a turning scene rather than a rape scene, and even then there's no reason it can't be both. Which actually fits in with the 'sexuality gone wrong' theme and with the 'pain of growing up' angle. For me an important point is that she'd be sharing it with Owen, which fits in better with her trying to be understood than being manipulative.
DavidZahir wrote: Likewise the sexuality--subtle as it was--in the finished film seemed to arise from the natural flirtatiousness between the leads.
Well, there's Owen's telescopic activities, etc.
Bli mig lite.

danielma

Post by danielma » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:38 am

Even in context, Owen touching his neck is the only reason to view it as a turning scene rather than a rape scene, and even then there's no reason it can't be both. Which actually fits in with the 'sexuality gone wrong' theme and with the 'pain of growing up' angle. For me an important point is that she'd be sharing it with Owen, which fits in better with her trying to be understood than being manipulative.
I very much agree, I saw it as both...I saw it as sexuality gone wrong and the abuse of Abby parralelling the abuse that Owen has suffered

There is so much about this shooting script that I wish was in the final film.

Owen's scrapbook for one...I always disliked the way they dialled back his character in LMI, he struck me as a scared timid little boy rather than someone who is a strange oddball, I think the scrap book drawings would have played more creedance to the idea of him being awoken to the fantasy by Abby's arrival. I also liked the way they had him hiding the scrap book from the mother in the script...almost like it is his "dirty little secret"

The bedroom scene, especially the next morning aftermath...we know it was filmed...I'd like to see that back in the film to be honest...especially after reading it here.

And of course the main offender for me was the omission of the "be me" scene...shame, I would like to see some of these scenes back in. Clearly some of them had to have been filmed (we know the morning after the bed scene was filmed)...it'd be very interesting to see how the tone of the film were to change if these scenes were put back in.
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

DavidZahir

Post by DavidZahir » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:32 am

The "Be Me a Little" scene, rather than being just an info-dump, is necessary to convince the viewer, not Owen. Owen may have made his choice but we, the audience, need a bit more convincing, IMO. We see the big picture; one we suspect the naive 12-year-old Owen cannot see. He could be madly in love, but unless the audience can truely sense her vulnerability and the tragedy of her origins, there remains the strong possibility that she is primarily an always-in-control manipulator.
I question two premises here: 1) That the omission of the scene precludes a perception of Abby as vulnerable, as well as its opposite, that with it no one would see her as a manipulator. 2) That ambiguity is in itself something undesirable.
O let my name be in the Book of Love. If it be there I care not
For that Other great Book above. Strike it out! Or write it in anew--
But let My name be in the Book of Love!
-- Omar Kayam

lombano

Post by lombano » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:26 am

DavidZahir wrote: I question two premises here: 1) That the omission of the scene precludes a perception of Abby as vulnerable, as well as its opposite, that with it no one would see her as a manipulator.
No, but it would've certainly furthered the view of Abby as vulnerable.
DavidZahir wrote:2) That ambiguity is in itself something undesirable.
Not in general, but a purely manipulative monster is far less interesting.
Bli mig lite.

Return to “Let Me In”