Best Case Scenario?

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

DavidZahir

Best Case Scenario?

Post by DavidZahir » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:55 am

I was re-reading a very charming LMI fanfic earlier today, and something occurred to me--how so many writers try to come up with some kind of "best case scenario" for Abby and Owen, given the circumstances set up in the film. One of these is that Abby somehow-or-other ceases being a vampire, or loses those aspects of undeath that she finds so horrible. Another aspect I see time and again is that Abby and Owen get some kind of help, from an older and wiser individual who sees their relationship as loving and worthy.

All that is very nice, and can be pleasing to read. Like a cookie. Or a piece of pie.

But I"m wondering what kind of Best Case Scenario is really possible, given the nature of these two characters, of Abby's condition as presented in the film, and a realistic sense of what the world is like?

What do you think? :think:
O let my name be in the Book of Love. If it be there I care not
For that Other great Book above. Strike it out! Or write it in anew--
But let My name be in the Book of Love!
-- Omar Kayam

sauvin

Re: Best Case Scenario?

Post by sauvin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:09 am

DavidZahir wrote:I was re-reading a very charming LMI fanfic earlier today, and something occurred to me--how so many writers try to come up with some kind of "best case scenario" for Abby and Owen, given the circumstances set up in the film. One of these is that Abby somehow-or-other ceases being a vampire, or loses those aspects of undeath that she finds so horrible. Another aspect I see time and again is that Abby and Owen get some kind of help, from an older and wiser individual who sees their relationship as loving and worthy.

All that is very nice, and can be pleasing to read. Like a cookie. Or a piece of pie.

But I"m wondering what kind of Best Case Scenario is really possible, given the nature of these two characters, of Abby's condition as presented in the film, and a realistic sense of what the world is like?

What do you think? :think:
I personally think LMI was itself the Best Case Scenario that doesn't involve a premature death.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

DavidZahir

Post by DavidZahir » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:19 pm

The best case scenario for me...

Owen and Abby leave New Mexico together. They find a place to hole up that isn't horrible beyond words. Maybe a deserted house somewhere? Abby's feeding makes Owen feel increasingly guilty, which bothers Abby because as time goes by she feels closer and closer to Owen--closer than to anyone ever before. She agrees to his suggestion--finding and feeding on the dangerous, the cruel, even the psychotic. This basically means moving to a major city. In time, Owen and Abby actually become lovers and then (or before) Owen also becomes a vampire. The two of them become very skilled at finding total creeps upon which to feed--rapists, child molesters, murderers, arsonists, etc. Arguably this means living more-or-less permanently in and around some major metropolitan areas.
-- Omar Kayam

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:19 pm

DavidZahir wrote:The best case scenario for me...

Owen and Abby leave New Mexico together. They find a place to hole up that isn't horrible beyond words. Maybe a deserted house somewhere? Abby's feeding makes Owen feel increasingly guilty, which bothers Abby because as time goes by she feels closer and closer to Owen--closer than to anyone ever before. She agrees to his suggestion--finding and feeding on the dangerous, the cruel, even the psychotic. This basically means moving to a major city. In time, Owen and Abby actually become lovers and then (or before) Owen also becomes a vampire. The two of them become very skilled at finding total creeps upon which to feed--rapists, child molesters, murderers, arsonists, etc. Arguably this means living more-or-less permanently in and around some major metropolitan areas.
I do like this scenario...unless I'm personally mistaken by them as being a rapist, child molester, murderer, arsonist, etc. We're trusting fairly young folks here to make that determination. If a jury of 12 adults can't get it right sometimes, I'm not sure I'd be entirely comfortable living in whatever major metropolitan area they choose to hang their...hats? :D Perhaps they could team up with Tom Cruise in "Minority Report" and pick 'em off BEFORE they kill anyone... :geek:
DavidZahir wrote:But I"m wondering what kind of Best Case Scenario is really possible, given the nature of these two characters, of Abby's condition as presented in the film, and a realistic sense of what the world is like?
I'm also wondering if this statement isn't really an oxymoron? :lol:

Seriously, I think the two factors I've highlighted give us the latitude to pursue just about any scenario we choose, including not only an ending in which Abby can't be fixed, but also one in which she can. Both are equally possible in a world of Abby-type vampires, I think. To believe the science exists (e.g., reality) to explain Abby's morphing into what we see on the screen, makes it equally possible to explain how she could be cured, IMO.
Last edited by PeteMork on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

DavidZahir

Post by DavidZahir » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:26 pm

"Best" case, not "perfect." :ugeek:

Although it seems to me Abby and Owen wouldn't have too much trouble catching criminals in the act. At the very least they could allow pedophiles to invite them somewhere...for dinner. :twisted:
-- Omar Kayam

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:36 pm

There is no best-case scenario, for either E&O or A&O; just about all the conceivable [to me] story arcs inexorably tend towards their becoming a pair of Sweet Kids who are also ugly and extremely dangerous predators. Even JAL conceded to this [and I don't blame him, although I have yet to read it].
Last edited by DMt. on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:38 pm

Sorry, DZ. :oops: It looks like we crossed posts. I added a bit to mine before I saw your reply.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:41 pm

I seem to have, uh...lost the thread.

Tell you what, though, I can't wait to see what Lombo's E&O do with Silvia. Talk about the Lord using evil to further good...

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:49 am

DavidZahir wrote:"Best" case, not "perfect." :ugeek:

Although it seems to me Abby and Owen wouldn't have too much trouble catching criminals in the act. At the very least they could allow pedophiles to invite them somewhere...for dinner. :twisted:
Sort of like the ultimate Chris Hansen on Abby and Owen's own version of Dateline? I can just see it now: The pedophile knocks on the door, Owen invites him in and sez, "Hello there! My name is Owen! Perhaps you've seen me on 'Dateline.' You just make yourself comfortable and have some cookies and milk! My little sister will be out in just a minute. She's in taking a shower; she's cleaning up a bit after her previous date." :shock:

But, back to the original topic:

I could easily see Abby and Owen follow pretty much the path you described, including Oskar being finally turned, and the two of them becoming lovers, (perhaps at 18? Many doors open for a young man at 18 if he can still maintain a relationship with a 12 year old girl who's over 200, but that's a different story ;) ), but unless you rule out entirely the idea that they can feed on blood that has been drained into a dirty bottle as Thomas has done, then I see no reason they couldn’t move to a large metropolitan area, rob different bloodbanks at night, ad infinitum, using enough learned finesse that they could make the losses look like mere bookkeeping errors, and they could pick up spending money at the same time. (And it’s not like they’re murdering anyone or anything; the police would certainly not consider such theft worth a dragnet or swat team intervention). As for decent housing, I’m still working on that, but ‘decent’ is in the eyes of the beholder. A turned Owen wouldn’t need lights or heat. A small abandoned cabin in the Adirondacks, for example?

(I feel a new FF coming on. :think: )

Return to “Let Me In”