Owen the Strong One

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

rgh

Re: Owen the Strong One

Post by rgh » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:49 am

lombano wrote:
cmfireflies wrote: It's physically impossible for a 12 year old to literally rip apart 3 other kids and Oskar/Owen wouldn't have any blood on them so I don't think they'll be accused of anything if they stayed.
It would be impossible, single-handedly, but he could be suspected of having had some kind of participation, of being an accomplice, even if only cheering the killer on. Likewise with the killing of the cop/Lacke. Andreas' testimony however would clear him of any participation in the pool killings.
I suspect that telling the cops that a 12 year old vampire girl ripped them apart would lead them to believe he was helping cover something up.

lombano

Post by lombano » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:30 am

Perhaps but they would have no reason to believe he was protecting Oskar.
Bli mig lite.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:17 am

rgh wrote:I suspect that telling the cops that a 12 year old vampire girl ripped them apart would lead them to believe he was helping cover something up.
lombano wrote:Perhaps but they would have no reason to believe he was protecting Oskar.
I suspect rgh is correct in saying the police would smell a coverup, but the only way they'd consider the vampire theory seriously is either to support the alternative theory the boy's mind had gone off the wire or that the boy was concocting some outlandish story to confuse a more plausible truth. I do believe that once they'd discovered the hospital and school records showing Oskar's having assaulted one of the dead boys with a really big stick, they'd have some very pointy questions to ask indeed, because no police officer worth anything at all is going to believe in sheer coincidence. I believe the first thought to cross an investigator's mind would, at the very least, include the word "complicity".

What's troubling me is what they'd make of just how much carnage had happened within such a short span of time.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

lombano

Post by lombano » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:56 am

sauvin wrote: I suspect rgh is correct in saying the police would smell a coverup, but the only way they'd consider the vampire theory seriously is either to support the alternative theory the boy's mind had gone off the wire or that the boy was concocting some outlandish story to confuse a more plausible truth.
A third possibility is that they'd see it as a massively distorted version of the truth, warped by shock, but not a complete figment of Andreas' imagination. That Oskar had been abducted by the killer, or at least had not actively taken part in the killings, and his attempted murder, would be among the more plausible parts of the story. Oskar is better off with Andreas as a witness, ice skating incident included, than Owen with no witnesses, ice skating incident included. With no witnesses he was near death, the ice skating incident becomes far more damning. Note that Andreas' testimony would match the forensics and all known facts, and there would be no reason to suspect him of beng biased in favour of Oskar, so it is likely the police would conclude his version had elements of truth.
Bli mig lite.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:40 am

lombano wrote:
sauvin wrote: I suspect rgh is correct in saying the police would smell a coverup, but the only way they'd consider the vampire theory seriously is either to support the alternative theory the boy's mind had gone off the wire or that the boy was concocting some outlandish story to confuse a more plausible truth.
A third possibility is that they'd see it as a massively distorted version of the truth, warped by shock, but not a complete figment of Andreas' imagination. That Oskar had been abducted by the killer, or at least had not actively taken part in the killings, and his attempted murder, would be among the more plausible parts of the story. Oskar is better off with Andreas as a witness, ice skating incident included, than Owen with no witnesses, ice skating incident included. With no witnesses he was near death, the ice skating incident becomes far more [deleted]. Note that Andreas' testimony would match the forensics and all known facts, and there would be no reason to suspect him of beng biased in favour of Oskar, so it is likely the police would conclude his version had elements of truth.

I got the thread mixed up, thus my confused reponse. Everything you just said seems perfectly true to me, and tends to support my view that Owen's running away from home had a much larger component of fear attached than what was the case with Oskar.

Edit: 5 Novembre 2011, replaced a "bad word" with [deleted] to comply with renewed restrictions on language.
Last edited by sauvin on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

metoo

Post by metoo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:44 am

Neither Oskar nor Owen would ever be suspected of doing the killings by the pool. Those guys were torn apart, which requires so much power that not even a bunch of contestants for the strongest man on earth working in cooperation would accomplish it. And it would be perfectly clear to the examiner that the bodies were torn apart, not hacked into pieces.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

lombano

Post by lombano » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:58 am

Not of doing them single-handedly, but they could be suspected of complicity, in the absence of witnesses. Even just being a lookout or 'Owen, help me adjust the settings on my portable motor-driven rack so I can break your schoolmates apart.'
Bli mig lite.

DavidZahir

Post by DavidZahir » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:24 am

I don't think either Oscar or Owen were forensically skilled enough to realize how much or how little trouble either one was in.

As far as evidence goes, somebody started a fire and locked everyone out so they could be alone with Owen. Study of blood spatter would show something the police would have enormous trouble accepting--namely that some of these killings happened in midair! And the autopsies would show not one of this kids was killed with a metal weapon. Not a single trace of any metal in any of the wounds, while some of the injuries could be identified as having been caused by teeth and/or claws.

This is an X-File.

But neither of our heroes would really be in a position to know any of this. If they thought on it, they'd know the police and others will be mighty suspicious to say the least. Me, I doubt either one thought much on it. Bot boys seem way more focused on what just happened, how they were nearly killed but then were saved by their vampire girlfriend who came back to save the day (er...night). Oscar seems simply pleased. Owen's reaction appears to be more complex.

Mind you, it is what happened next that is probably most fascinating--and I'm always puzzled about the relatively little fanfic that deals with the next few minutes.
O let my name be in the Book of Love. If it be there I care not
For that Other great Book above. Strike it out! Or write it in anew--
But let My name be in the Book of Love!
-- Omar Kayam

TigerEyes

Post by TigerEyes » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:25 pm

DavidZahir wrote: Oscar seems simply pleased. Owen's reaction appears to be more complex.
Oskar was pleased to see Eli, not because she murdered the bullies. I can understand Owen's case because he was seeing the blood and bodies all around him, Oskar saw nothing. When Oskar opened his eyes, the first thing he saw was Eli(as).
Run, and you might live.
Stay, and you might die.
However, nothing is certain.

Come visit my blog where i write stuff of Vampires, including Let the right one in, http://godlessvampire.blogspot.com/

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:06 pm

DavidZahir wrote:I don't think either Oscar or Owen were forensically skilled enough to realize how much or how little trouble either one was in ... This is an X-File.... If they thought on it, they'd know the police and others will be mighty suspicious to say the least. Bot boys seem way more focused on what just happened, how they were nearly killed but then were saved by their vampire girlfriend who came back to save the day (er...night). Oscar seems simply pleased. Owen's reaction appears to be more complex.
We've started comparing Abby to Eli, and Owen to Oskar. One of the more recent threads questions which boy is "stronger"; here, I might wonder who is smarter. Maybe Owen was more observant, and quicker to understand the circumstances outf of which he'd just been fished.

Oskar was overjoyed to see his girlfriend again, that's a fact, and if the movie is saying what I think it's saying, the very first things he saw were Eli's eyes. They were all he wanted to see for quite a while.

Apart from the ridiculous scene where Virginia gets mobbed by an apartment full of housecats, this is the only scene that struck me as untrue: Oskar didn't come out of the water coughing, sputtering and maybe retching. If he'd been so far gone that he couldn't even move when his face broke the surface, I'd have thought that intervention would have been needed, CPR or massaging or something. Nope, he just floated for a few moments, slowly opened his eyes and started grinning. Owen's rescue in this respect was a lot more realistic.

I'll agree that neither boy had the wherewithal to piece together just what a forensic treatment of the scene might yield. I think they'd get as far as "Oh, boy, look at all this! They're gonna blame me, I just know it! How am I gonna explain this?" and panic. They're kids being hit with something new to deal with, and it's big. Owen, like novel Oskar, have already seen just how much "justice" they can expect from authorities in the aftermath of their self defence, and I doubt none of the three boys would distinguish much between a school system that has no interest in protecting him from bullies and a legal infrastructure frontlined by cops like the one who laughed at him in front of the entire class.

Maybe movie Oskar could say "Well, Andreas is still alive, he'll tell them the truth!" Or maybe movie Oskar would say to himself "Andreas was one of them; he'll lie like a politician to get me in as much trouble as he can."

Whatever the case, forensics be [deleted], all these boys would have to have realised, after briefly surveying the carnage, that this is going to involve a lot more than just a trip to the principal's office with Mom.

Edit: 5 Novembre 2011, replaced a "bad word" with [deleted] to comply with renewed restrictions on language.
Last edited by sauvin on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Let Me In”