Abby and Owen as Lovers?

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

DavidZahir

Re: Abby and Owen as Lovers?

Post by DavidZahir » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:42 pm

Depends on the lore. In Twilight vampires mate for eternity. In Dracula they're promiscuous.
O let my name be in the Book of Love. If it be there I care not
For that Other great Book above. Strike it out! Or write it in anew--
But let My name be in the Book of Love!
-- Omar Kayam

SPiN

Post by SPiN » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:52 am

DavidZahir wrote:
With Oskar and Eli, we see two children playing, with Owen and Abby we see two adolescents dating.
I think that there would be, at least, some sexual experimentation between Owen and Abby eventually, though there are several factors inhibiting this - Owen seems too shy and insecure to initiate it, Abby seems uneasy with sexuality. Nevertheless, it seems unlikely their relationship would be perpetually asexual.
I agree. My own belief is that if the two of them become physically intimate, that would almost certainly only happen after they grew even closer than they already are. Owen needs to become more confident, to develop some sense of himself as Abby's equal. Abby meanwhile needs to grow so close to Owen that she allows herself to explore that side of herself (I'm personally presuming that she is at least emotionally a virgin). Under those circumstances, two young people clutching each other in the dark--well, things will sooner or later happen. Probably.

If Owen becomes a vampire, then it seems even more likely, since (presumably) the two of them will have even more time together.
True. Big Owen is awkward and shy. He's not sure how to handle Abby. Everything he says to her is genuine and his first instinct. Owens resume up to Abby is pretty thin. What does he do at the two most crucial moments in his courtship of Abby? He hugs her. Deeply. With all his might. His hug(s) reassure Abby..."I got this, don't worry"
What we have here gentlemen, is the organic development of "game"
Owen is doing thing. (while people are getting murdered left and right and his girlfriend is a monster)
im worried that we may have gotten our lunchables mixed up

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:01 am

SPiN wrote: True. Big Owen is awkward and shy. He's not sure how to handle Abby. Everything he says to her is genuine and his first instinct. Owens resume up to Abby is pretty thin. What does he do at the two most crucial moments in his courtship of Abby? He hugs her. Deeply. With all his might. His hug(s) reassure Abby..."I got this, don't worry"
Owen is doing thing. (while people are getting murdered left and right and his girlfriend is a monster)
Spin, it's not my intention to attack or criticise you in any way, but please try to understand that while my English can be intimidating, it can also be amazingly limited at times, and yours can be very hard for me to follow. Can you rephrase this, please?
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

SPiN

Post by SPiN » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:30 am

sauvin wrote:
SPiN wrote: True. Big Owen is awkward and shy. He's not sure how to handle Abby. Everything he says to her is genuine and his first instinct. Owens resume up to Abby is pretty thin. What does he do at the two most crucial moments in his courtship of Abby? He hugs her. Deeply. With all his might. His hug(s) reassure Abby..."I got this, don't worry"
Spin, it's not my intention to attack or criticise you in any way, but please try to understand that while my English can be intimidating, it can also be amazingly limited at times, and yours can be very hard for me to follow. Can you rephrase this, please?
sorry sir.
.- -... -... -.-- / .-.. .. -.- . ... / --- .-- . -. .-.-.- / --- .-- . -. / .-.. .. -.- . ... / .- -... -... -.-- .-.-.- / - .... . -.-- / .-.. .. -.- . / . .- -.-. .... / --- - .... . .-. .-.-.- / .- .-.. --- - .-.-.-

tman

Post by tman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:04 pm

sorry sir.
.- -... -... -.-- / .-.. .. -.- . ... / --- .-- . -. .-.-.- / --- .-- . -. / .-.. .. -.- . ... / .- -... -... -.-- .-.-.- / - .... . -.-- / .-.. .. -.- . / . .- -.-. .... / --- - .... . .-. .-.-.- / .- .-.. --- - .-.-.-
Gimme-five :D

Seriously, remember, Owen needs hugs and love as much as Abby does, which is why they relate so well. Both have pretty well got no-one in their lives they can turn to, not even Abby any more with Thomas losing the plot a little. A hug is all it will take for them to both understand everything will be ok, they'll look out for each other. I don't think Abby ever had this with Thomas. It was a different form of love, which is why I don't think Owen was going to take his place (exactly).

Thomas's love for Abby was no doubt there, and strong too, but I doubt she ever felt quite the same for him, but they went through a lot together, and he did his bit for her. Infact, for anyone to go through what he did for all those years, slowly losing what they once had, day by day as he grew older and she didn't, most would have gone out of there minds much earlier.

SPiN

Post by SPiN » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:20 am

High Five! :lol:

More I think about it, the way we see Owen mature into young man thru his courtship of Abby In front of our eyes is staggering
He's courting a vampire. I would be falling apart if Abby crept up behind me on a jungle gym.

lombano

Post by lombano » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:22 am

SPiN wrote: More I think about it, the way we see Owen mature into young man thru his courtship of Abby In front of our eyes is staggering
He's courting a vampire. I would be falling apart if Abby crept up behind me on a jungle gym.
He didn't know she's a vampire.
Bli mig lite.

SPiN

Post by SPiN » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:32 am

true true true Lombano
It was curious how he doesnt back up when he finds out she is.
The kid lets her in!
I know it's just a story. But it's a really good one.

hollywoodeva

Post by hollywoodeva » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:53 am

I have to say something about Abby and Owen as lovers. While Abby is a little girl, there is a demon inside her. She tells Owen twice that she is not a girl, then through the wall Owen (and we) hear the demon's voice after Thomas' botch's a nightly catch. "Answer me," she says. It's a male voice. Abby still exists but she shares with this thing and I didn't get the sense that she completely understands what it is. Thanks.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:03 am

But she also does have a very good idea of what it is. She uses its abilities, after all. Right? She flies (from the hospital window edge and from his window) and she controls the attack at the end of the story, and so on. In what ways do you think she might yet have a good idea of what it is?

An example that comes to mind is the scene where she attempts to eat the candy. Was that hope against all hope or was that perhaps an attempt to take on the thing within her, as if she is battling it: her will power against its?

Oh, and before I forget my manners: Welcome! Welcome, hollywoodeva!

Return to “Let Me In”