My thoughts on LMI vs LTROI

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

sauvin

Re: My thoughts on LMI vs LTROI

Post by sauvin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:10 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:Both movies terrify me and twist me up, but in different ways. The more brutal and more visual manner of LMI is one take. The emotional tug of LTROI is another. While I cannot watch them anytime near each other, I do watch both and continue to come back to them.
Not me, but I'm a pig. I'll watch them back to back on occasion. The only thing about LMI that bothers me anymore is the screechy score.
gkmoberg1 wrote:What I wish is that there were a third movie. The general problem with discussing sets of two is that opinions and lines of thought seem more easily based on contrast than anything else. Not only do I think a third movie would take away a lot of the heated discussions in this part of the forum but also lead to broader consideration & reflection of how each creation of the story into film pulls, suppresses or adapts aspects of the original story. (Such already exists in this part of the forum. The difference between what is here now and what I am trying to express concerns the nature of the discussions.)

The LMI and LTROI films are products of the film industries plus the cultures where each was made. The natural result is the comparison/contrast of each to the original story plus the two in comparison/contrast with each other. (Plus the comparison/contrast of each against similar movies made within their respective culture, etc.)
If we had a third movie, it'd also be what the first two are: interpretations. Since JAL had tremendous input into the crafting of the LTROI movie, It's fair to call it something of a Canon; one assumes it faithfully represents what the original author had in mind for the kids even if it'd been somewhat filtered through TA's directorial lenses. LMI, if you like, is one big honking shiny piece of fanfic since I believe most of the "interpretation" was at Reeves' behest. Without JAL being intimately involved with a third movie, we'd just wind up with another big honking shiny piece of fanfic. I wouldn't necessarily accept any statement or implication arising from such a movie any more than I presently consider LMI to be definitive or authoritative in any way. Treated as interpretations of a story, though, they do provide diverting fodder for the forum's verbal fusillades :D

You want more points of view? Write some fanfic! It's what I did when I wanted more!
gkmoberg1 wrote:I don't see them as "LMI vs. LTROI" but rather as "LMI and LTROI" (or "LTROI and LMI" if you prefer - it doesn't matter).
Yea, me, too, only, I often consider LMI as being a kind of LTROI from some alternate universe or some other plane of existence. "If Hakan had been an old friend or lover", in other words, "how might the story have remained the same? How much of it might have differed? To what qualitative degree?"
gkmoberg1 wrote:I hope lombano doesn't mind the call out, but if you read at least the first half of this FF In the City of Palaces, you'll find a great example of what I mean. Lombano's FF is a terrific grafting of the culture and history of Mexico into a retelling of JAL's story. Were it to be a film, it too would be a product of that society and its film industry. That alone would give us a lot consider. But it would also take the emphasis off of 'vs.' and put discussion on the story(ies) in ways other than their differences.
Yes, and this is precisely what I asked a few weeks before the LMI movie came out, knowing full well it was probably an exercise in futility. Now that initial sensitivity to the Americanising "yuck factor" seems to be dying down, my hope is we'll see more balanced discussion of this nature.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Bustedstuff15

Re: My thoughts on LMI vs LTROI

Post by Bustedstuff15 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:58 am

Being both a LMI and LTROI fan im actually glad that some people dislike one film or the other. It shows how passionate people are about it and thats when you know you have a good film. When a person will defend it to the death thats when you can say "wow i really made a good movie". I think that LTROI and LMI fans are some of the most loyal and passionate fans out there and what people need to remember is that they both came from the same amazing story. So while its good to have debates, nobodys right or wrong.
There’s a darkness upon me that’s flooded in light

Return to “Let Me In”