Sooo...my thoughts...

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

varamiglite

Re: Sooo...my thoughts...

Post by varamiglite » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:02 pm

SPiN wrote:
Frogster wrote:There are things I like about both films. I saw LMI first and it was my first love, and I still favor it to LTROI but that is changing as I begin to understand the subtlety of LTROI. I think LMI is a darker film than LTROI. It's message is more bleak and the characters show a limited range of emotion compared to LTROI (which is not necessarily a bad thing.) Owen is weak, unhappy and lonely, Abby is unhappy and lonely which the centuries have dulled into apathy and vulnerability. The two form an undeniable connection. Unlike Eli, Abby's repressed emotions aren't stirred by Owen, she remains largely the same as she does at the beginning. Owen meanwhile lacks the "killer's nature" of Oscar, and finds himself leaving a bad home life to a life that can't be much better with Abby in the long run. Would he be happy killing people for her? Would he be happy as a vampire killing people with her? How does Abby help him improve personally? He fights back against the bullies, but without her, he would have been killed. By the end of the film he is still helpless. And yet the connection between the two is still there. Abby clearly shows affection for both Thomas and Owen.

I think people are miscalculating the role of the Cop plot. His role was plain and simple. You can't fool all of the people all of the time, and sooner or later the people will come knocking. His investigation wasn't supposed to captivating, it just showed the first of many to close in on Abby and Owen. He took up less time than Locke/Lacke.

LMI is the dark side of LTROI. I find LMI touching and moving, but in different places than LTROI. It's true there is no reason for LMI to exist, but I'm very glad it does.
Mmmm. Frogster. I respect your comment. Love you got infected. But to say there is no reason for LMI to exist hurts
No LMI means no SPiN or Frogster. If LMI was the door to the wonderful world of LTROI, sweet. Two amazon stories!
I dont even compare the two. Its a lost cause. I enjoy LMI for what it is. Not what its not
You owe me and big Owen another LMI viewing tonight after the eagles/cowboys game

Team Abby
LMI needed to exist to pull me into the world of LTROI. Being pulled into this world was almost accidental for me, but now I understand that it was serendipitous. I was getting together with some friends for a movie night and this was about the only thing we hadn't seen at our rinky-dink video department in the grocery store. Needless to say I owe my new life to that raggedy video department now! After that I was infected (hopefully) forever! Of the three entities I cannot say which one I love the most. To me they all stand as their own stories, even the book and the movie more directly based on it are different enough to be considered their own stories. Trust me, even if you now think that LMI isn't as good as LTROI it still needed to exist!
slog tillbaka. hårt.

Frogster

Post by Frogster » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:23 pm

varamiglite wrote:
SPiN wrote:
Frogster wrote:There are things I like about both films. I saw LMI first and it was my first love, and I still favor it to LTROI but that is changing as I begin to understand the subtlety of LTROI. I think LMI is a darker film than LTROI. It's message is more bleak and the characters show a limited range of emotion compared to LTROI (which is not necessarily a bad thing.) Owen is weak, unhappy and lonely, Abby is unhappy and lonely which the centuries have dulled into apathy and vulnerability. The two form an undeniable connection. Unlike Eli, Abby's repressed emotions aren't stirred by Owen, she remains largely the same as she does at the beginning. Owen meanwhile lacks the "killer's nature" of Oscar, and finds himself leaving a bad home life to a life that can't be much better with Abby in the long run. Would he be happy killing people for her? Would he be happy as a vampire killing people with her? How does Abby help him improve personally? He fights back against the bullies, but without her, he would have been killed. By the end of the film he is still helpless. And yet the connection between the two is still there. Abby clearly shows affection for both Thomas and Owen.

I think people are miscalculating the role of the Cop plot. His role was plain and simple. You can't fool all of the people all of the time, and sooner or later the people will come knocking. His investigation wasn't supposed to captivating, it just showed the first of many to close in on Abby and Owen. He took up less time than Locke/Lacke.

LMI is the dark side of LTROI. I find LMI touching and moving, but in different places than LTROI. It's true there is no reason for LMI to exist, but I'm very glad it does.
Mmmm. Frogster. I respect your comment. Love you got infected. But to say there is no reason for LMI to exist hurts
No LMI means no SPiN or Frogster. If LMI was the door to the wonderful world of LTROI, sweet. Two amazon stories!
I dont even compare the two. Its a lost cause. I enjoy LMI for what it is. Not what its not
You owe me and big Owen another LMI viewing tonight after the eagles/cowboys game

Team Abby
LMI needed to exist to pull me into the world of LTROI. Being pulled into this world was almost accidental for me, but now I understand that it was serendipitous. I was getting together with some friends for a movie night and this was about the only thing we hadn't seen at our rinky-dink video department in the grocery store. Needless to say I owe my new life to that raggedy video department now! After that I was infected (hopefully) forever! Of the three entities I cannot say which one I love the most. To me they all stand as their own stories, even the book and the movie more directly based on it are different enough to be considered their own stories. Trust me, even if you now think that LMI isn't as good as LTROI it still needed to exist!
I said I'm glad they made LMI

I meant the reasoning for remaking LTROI wasn't strong, but I'm still pleased with the result (because I love LMI and it's introduced more people to LTROI)

varamiglite

Post by varamiglite » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:34 pm

I said I'm glad they made LMI

I meant the reasoning for remaking LTROI wasn't strong, but I'm still pleased with the result (because I love LMI and it's introduced more people to LTROI)[/quote][/quote]

I know and I wasn't trying to argue or be contradictory to what you said. I agree that it wasn't necessary to make LMI because LTROI stands just fine without it but my world is so much better because it does! I'm not sure if I would have ever found Oskar and Eli if it wasn't for Owen and Abby. I guess what I was trying to say that LMI had to exist for my benefit. I apologize if it seems I was being argumentative, that wasn't my intended purpose at all.
slog tillbaka. hårt.

Return to “Let Me In”