Owen and Abby - What Next?

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

ColBlair

Re: Owen and Abby - What Next?

Post by ColBlair » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:45 pm

waggy05 wrote:
I look at the movie as Lindqvist's story still and not Matt's or Tomas's. So in my fairytale, Owen and Abby lived together forever drinking animal blood on the beach in Maui
that does sound nice. and I definitely look at LMI as JAL's base story. however, I do not see them drinking animal blood. I think it still must be human. and I see them on Kona, not Maui. haha.
Kona doesn't sound so bad. IF they are drinking human blood, let it be of those of criminals and not of the innocent. :D :D I can imagine Abby and Owen being superheroes getting rid of the evil in the world. :D :D

waggy05

Post by waggy05 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:50 am

Kona doesn't sound so bad. IF they are drinking human blood, let it be of those of criminals and not of the innocent.
you know that would be the ideal scenario, but I have my doubts on that actually happening. I know that has been a solution in some fan-fics, but I just don't know. I'm fine with it either way haha, is that messed up?

ColBlair

Post by ColBlair » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:42 pm

waggy05 wrote:
Kona doesn't sound so bad. IF they are drinking human blood, let it be of those of criminals and not of the innocent.
you know that would be the ideal scenario, but I have my doubts on that actually happening. I know that has been a solution in some fan-fics, but I just don't know. I'm fine with it either way haha, is that messed up?
Sounds perfectly sane to me if I were a vampire. :D

vanick0818

Post by vanick0818 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Abby's feelings toward Owen are kinda vague. Sometimes it seems like she "loves" him in a way, she wrote on the note that she likes him but it can also be concluded that maybe she was just using him all this time, that is to find someone to take care of her, a replacement for Thomas. But I also think that Abby's relationship to Owen is way greater than Thomas. She had grown to love Owen but did not with Thomas. That's why I think this is an implication of Abby breaking the cycle, because of her love for Owen.

thestich

Post by thestich » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:44 pm

vanick0818,

Welcome to the infected (of either movie).

Check out the FF when you get a chance. There is much more LTROI then LMI related, but all rate from good to mind blowingly excellent.

This is also a very polite forum where discussions can at times get heated, but I have never seen generate into flame wars or the like.

Enjoy you infection!!!
While wandering here between posts and FF, I am gradually getting convinced, that I haven't seen anywhere more beautiful madness than on this forum. Clubmeister

ColBlair

Post by ColBlair » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:59 pm

vanick0818 wrote:Abby's feelings toward Owen are kinda vague. Sometimes it seems like she "loves" him in a way, she wrote on the note that she likes him but it can also be concluded that maybe she was just using him all this time, that is to find someone to take care of her, a replacement for Thomas. But I also think that Abby's relationship to Owen is way greater than Thomas. She had grown to love Owen but did not with Thomas. That's why I think this is an implication of Abby breaking the cycle, because of her love for Owen.
I agree with you there Vanick. I also like to believe to that Owen brought back the spark to that Abby and Thomas once shared. I believe that Abby learned to love herself more than when she was with Thomas.

DavidZahir

Post by DavidZahir » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:21 am

But I also think that Abby's relationship to Owen is way greater than Thomas. She had grown to love Owen but did not with Thomas. That's why I think this is an implication of Abby breaking the cycle, because of her love for Owen.
That is very sweet.
O let my name be in the Book of Love. If it be there I care not
For that Other great Book above. Strike it out! Or write it in anew--
But let My name be in the Book of Love!
-- Omar Kayam

ColBlair

Post by ColBlair » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:21 pm

I agree, that is pretty sweet.

a7xr0cker182

Post by a7xr0cker182 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:59 am

since the author of let the right one in released a short story on how this whole thing concludes, i think that abby and owen are going to conclude the same way as eli and oskar, of eli (abby) turning oskar (owen) into a vampire at his request, and them being together forever, not him turning into an old man like thomas in the movie, the author wrote this to respond to his readers that eli was not using oskar as a helper, to turn into an old man, like her former helper, she actually loved him, she may have not loved hakan (thomas), but she truly felt so many feelings for oskar, and abby will probably do the same with owen :)

Lee Kyle

Post by Lee Kyle » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:12 am

Let Me In is not the same story. Different characters, different "author" (director), so what happens in the short story with Eli and Oscar does not influence what happens with Abby and Owen.

I do not see variations in Abby's strength throughout the movie, but rather shifts in mood, focus, and personality. Her failure to move the jogger's body stems from an essential element of her character (shame? 12-year-old being grossed out? inability to think past the moment?) rather than from physical inability (on the assumption that Reeves includes this incident to develop something deeper in Abby's character than just a physical limitation).

Any sort of easy/simplistic solution to Abby's dietary needs (animal blood, blood banks, etc.), while potentially enjoyable to imagine, is very much at odds with the movie. The tone is simply too bleak to allow for a "hey, that was easy" source of blood.

Given how much Abby hates being a vampire, the idea that she would turn Owen is also so at odds with the movie as to inhabit an alternate universe. Alternate universes can be fun, but what you are essentially doing with an alternate universe is creating different characters. So yes, an Abby in an alternate universe might turn Owen - but not the Abby from Let Me In.

Again, if Abby were to turn Owen accidentally or unintentionally, the movie's tone and attitude toward vampirism prevent such an incident from magically melding Abby and Owen into some eternal, happy couple. She hates being a vampire. Turn Owen and all you have are two people who hate being vampires. Faithfulness to the original source material simply does not permit such a "all my problems are over" Twilight future.

If Abby only hunts "bad" people from now on, so what? A girl haunted by the guilt of murder does not have her guilt magically resolved by restricting her future murders to people who "deserve" it. Such a solution to guilt/shame is no real solution at all. The burden remains even if no additional offenses are ever committed. Be realistic. Feeding on child molesters might make the reader feel better about what Abby is doing, but it will not wipe away her self-loathing based on prior crimes. So what will?

If you are determined to imagine a happy ending, that's fine. Certainly I want such an ending. The challenge is how to imagine a happy ending that is consistent with the movie. Such a conception requires far more creativity and effort than just saying Abby and Owen 1) find a convenient source of blood that does not involve killing people and 2) find that being together makes up for all the horrible parts of vampirism. Any road to a happy ending will be long and torturous. Upon arrival the reader should discover the outcome to be consistent with the tone and characterizations of the original source material.

Return to “Let Me In”