Stephen King named "Let Me In" best film of the year

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

Tom

Stephen King named "Let Me In" best film of the year

Post by Tom » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:36 am

Last edited by Tom on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N.R. Gasan

Re: The King's Speech

Post by N.R. Gasan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:33 pm

{{{{ Tom }}}}

Thanks for your continuing efforts to keep us informed. :)

Tom

Re: The King's Speech

Post by Tom » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:51 pm

N.R. Gasan wrote:{{{{ Tom }}}}

Thanks for your continuing efforts to keep us informed. :)
You're welcome.

DMt.

Re: Stephen King named "Let Me In" best film of the year

Post by DMt. » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:57 pm

That's right, much good reportage by Tom.

But where the hell was SK when LTROI popped up? Did he miss it, or something? I mean, even I picked up on it, for God's sake :D

armyofdorkness

Post by armyofdorkness » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:22 pm

Apparently that van also damaged his brain.

abner_mohl

Post by abner_mohl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:23 pm

DMt. wrote:That's right, much good reportage by Tom.

But where the ...was SK when LTROI popped up? Did he miss it, or something? I mean, even I picked up on it, for God's sake :D
He did endorse it when it came out, called it the best American horror film in 20 years, and even that didn't help.
Last edited by abner_mohl on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:31 pm

hahahahahahahahaha

gary13136

Post by gary13136 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:11 am

He's entitled to his opinion. Which I don't agree with. :D But I think that to call it the best horror film of the decade is quite a stretch. I would suggest that SK keep his day job as a writer. Film criticism just isn't his bag.
One example of democracy in action is 5 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.--Anonymous

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:15 am

armyofdorkness wrote:Apparently that van also damaged his brain.
Not cool.
No banaaaanas?

abner_mohl

Post by abner_mohl » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:52 am

gary13136 wrote:He's entitled to his opinion. Which I don't agree with. :D But I think that to call it the best horror film of the decade is quite a stretch. I would suggest that SK keep his day job as a writer. Film criticism just isn't his bag.
Evidence you are right about SK's film critiquing abilities, which apparently his 2010 top 10 list is one of his better selections:
http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/11/24/st ... ilms-2010/
Stephen King's Top Ten Films of 2010 Includes ... 'Jackass 3D'

Stephen King is not trustworthy when it comes to movies, and he'd tell you that, himself. Case in point: He introduced his "10 Best Movies of 2008" list for Entertainment Weekly by writing, "I'm not trustworthy when it comes to movies." The prolific and celebrated author has crafted an absurd number of beloved and horrifying novels (and also Dreamcatcher), but his annual movie countdown routinely ranks amongst the most startling prose of his career. To each their own and whatnot, but unless you consider Jason Statham to be the Sir Laurence Olivier of our time, you probably won't see the logic behind a number of his choices (Jason Statham, of course, is merely the Marlon Brando of our time).

King is totally forthcoming about the fact that he's seduced by the flickering lights of the cinema (his mini-review of 'Saw V' read: "My forebrain was thinking: Oh, man, this is the year's biggest pile of cinematic dog vomit. But the rest of my brain is thinking, I'm at the mooooovies! IS THIS GREAT OR WHAT?"), and his lists suggest that he has almost as little interest in independent or foreign films as the average American. That being said, it's always fun to see what a great creative mind from another medium has to say about movies. So without much further ado, here's a list of what Richard Bachman's alter-ego enjoyed most at the multiplexes in 2010.

10. 'Green Zone.'
9. 'Jacka## 3D'
8. 'Monsters'
7. 'Splice'
6. 'Kick-a##'
5. 'Takers'
4. 'The Social Network.'
3. 'Inception'
2. 'The Town'
1. 'Let Me In'

It might not be King's most eccentric list ever, but even the defense team at the Nuremberg trials wouldn't be so bold as to try and validate 'Takers' as one of the five best films of this or any other year (tough luck for the folks behind 'Jonah Hex,' who thought this might be their big shot but will presumably have to settle with eleventh place). We're not too sure that history is going to reflect as fondly on 'The Town' as it will 'Inception' or 'The Social Network,' but neither of those movies featured Ben Affleck dressed as a gun-toting reggae zombie, so it's inclusion on the list is totally understandable (fun fact: Affleck's directorial debut 'Gone Baby Gone' also took the number 2 slot on King's list from 2007). As for 'Jackass 3D,' well, it's one of those flicks that knows exactly what it's trying to do, and then does that thing so well that you'll never be able to un-see the results.

King's rationales for his picks aren't online as of yet, but you can find them in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly (the one with 'The Walking Dead' on the cover). What do you guys make of his choices this year? Would any of your lists resemble his? Is 'Takers' an underrated masterpiece that's begging to be reconsidered? Let us know in the comments.
Last edited by abner_mohl on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Let Me In”