There is NO other way to say it...I too HATED this movie

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

jetboy

Re: There is NO other way to say it...I too HATED this movie

Post by jetboy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:54 pm

drakkar wrote:(or, in Jetboys case, a deliberate interprtation because that is the way he likes to see the story - isn't that coorrect, jetboy?)
I like both ways, but yes I still find that angle fascinating. :D The story was whipping my emotions around like a Domerman would to a rag doll

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:23 am

sauvin wrote:Will it still "feel good" for the kids day a year after the train ride? A week after?

Day after tomorrow?
jetboy wrote:Of course thats a valid question but in another sense its about true love, not about what "happens" to these individual characters. They symbolise true love. Its like a fable that ends with the words "and they live happily ever after" because they found love. The movie tells us that its a happy ending even though it may be hard to imagine how.
Notwithstanding this being sauvin's ever repeating comment, it is indeed valid. And I believe that jetboy's reply is valid, too. What I would like to add is that if we cannot imagine how, our imagination might be lacking.

Anyway, life isn't about being perpetually happy, to "feel good" all the time, and I'm certain sauvin knows that, too. I believe that O&E would find a happy life together, regardless the hardships, the rather terrible hardships, they will sustain. Their love, their mutual understanding and caring would turn the scales. Isn't a life in hardship and love preferable to a life without both?
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:47 am

metoo wrote:
sauvin wrote:Will it still "feel good" for the kids day a year after the train ride? A week after?

Day after tomorrow?
Notwithstanding this being sauvin's ever repeating comment, it is indeed valid. And I believe that jetboy's reply is valid, too. What I would like to add is that if we cannot imagine how, our imagination might be lacking.

Anyway, life isn't about being perpetually happy, to "feel good" all the time, and I'm certain sauvin knows that, too. I believe that O&E would find a happy life together, regardless the hardships, the rather terrible hardships, they will sustain. Their love, their mutual understanding and caring would turn the scales. Isn't a life in hardship and love preferable to a life without both?
Bingo and bingo again. Yes, it's an "ever repeating comment", because I keep seeing people making comments that seem to deny it. Some of that is natural outlook: some people see the light and the bright, and I just see the grey and the grim. The real truth, as you point out so well, is probably somewhere in between.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

jetboy

Post by jetboy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:25 am

sauvin wrote:Bingo and bingo again. Yes, it's an "ever repeating comment", because I keep seeing people making comments that seem to deny it. Some of that is natural outlook: some people see the light and the bright, and I just see the grey and the grim. The real truth, as you point out so well, is probably somewhere in between.
Ive noticed this and Drakkar has picked up on it as well as others, peoples individual takes on LTROI mirrors what they like and look for. I like horror and fairy tales and metaphors and spirituality and things cyclical like a good pop song. I get all that when watching LTROI. You may have more of an emotional connection when things are more rooted in the grim realities of life, or not.
metoo wrote:Anyway, life isn't about being perpetually happy, to "feel good" all the time, and I'm certain sauvin knows that, too. I believe that O&E would find a happy life together, regardless the hardships, the rather terrible hardships, they will sustain. Their love, their mutual understanding and caring would turn the scales. Isn't a life in hardship and love preferable to a life without both?
Well that is if you dont think, like I think...maybe, that the ending on the train could be O and E together in heaven.

But also, with your take, what about the hardship of the victims, wouldnt it be hard to keep that loving feeling, killing innocent people all the time? I would think it would start to become the big elephant in the room of their relationship after awhile. I dont think the hardship of being in denial from the guilt of endless death is the kind of hardship that love can overcome, especially when they are denying others the chance to live and love. The hardship of avoiding the light and avoiding the long arm of the law is not the only hardship here.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:58 am

jetboy wrote:
metoo wrote:Anyway, life isn't about being perpetually happy, to "feel good" all the time, and I'm certain sauvin knows that, too. I believe that O&E would find a happy life together, regardless the hardships, the rather terrible hardships, they will sustain. Their love, their mutual understanding and caring would turn the scales. Isn't a life in hardship and love preferable to a life without both?
Well that is if you dont think, like I think...maybe, that the ending on the train could be O and E together in heaven.

But also, with your take, what about the hardship of the victims, wouldnt it be hard to keep that loving feeling, killing innocent people all the time? I would think it would start to become the big elephant in the room of their relationship after awhile. I dont think the hardship of being in denial from the guilt of endless death is the kind of hardship that love can overcome, especially when they are denying others the chance to live and love. The hardship of avoiding the light and avoiding the long arm of the law is not the only hardship here.
"Big elephant in the room of their relationship"? What an IMAGE! :shock:

I dunno that I'd call it a "big elephant" so much as a "slithering snake". My Oskar at 40 took the same road Thomas apparently took (this IS the LMI section, you know...), and it killed him inside, but not quickly. Somewhere along they way, Oskar had decided that nothing is more important than Eli. Nothing and nobody could ever be more important. The "grey and the grim" here is that in trying to preserve what he loved most, he wound up destroying what was most important to the girl he loved. Mabye this is what happened to Thomas, too.

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:01 am

jetboy wrote:But also, with your take, what about the hardship of the victims, wouldnt it be hard to keep that loving feeling, killing innocent people all the time? I would think it would start to become the big elephant in the room of their relationship after awhile. I dont think the hardship of being in denial from the guilt of endless death is the kind of hardship that love can overcome, especially when they are denying others the chance to live and love. The hardship of avoiding the light and avoiding the long arm of the law is not the only hardship here.
I don't think so. I see no particular reason that the necessary killing should come between them, rather it would forge them together even harder, through sharing the hardship. (I agree that the real hardship is precisely what you suggest, having to kill to live.)

However, this isn't about realism anyway, so in my personal version of the universe of O&E, they stay happy and murderous.
Last edited by metoo on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

EEA

Post by EEA » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:57 pm

To me once Eli and Oskar get on the train they are together and they continue their journey. Even if their world is full of darkness, misery, shadows, blood, there is always some light, a hope that they will reach the happy ending they deserve.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:07 pm

EEA wrote:To me once Eli and Oskar get on the train they are together and they continue their journey. Even if their world is full of darkness, misery, shadows, blood, there is always some light, a hope that they will reach the happy ending they deserve.
Do Owen and Abby "deserve" the same "happy ending" that Oskar and Eli do?

EEA

Post by EEA » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Yeah they do.

jetboy

Post by jetboy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:13 am

sauvin wrote:
EEA wrote:To me once Eli and Oskar get on the train they are together and they continue their journey. Even if their world is full of darkness, misery, shadows, blood, there is always some light, a hope that they will reach the happy ending they deserve.
Do Owen and Abby "deserve" the same "happy ending" that Oskar and Eli do?
I think the better question is does Matt Reeves think they deserve a happy ending. Seems to me he is more interested in toying with them, and us, than saving them. Personally I would like to alleviate anyones pain...unless they deserve it.

Return to “Let Me In”