Was Abby a girl?

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

rgh

Re: Was Abby a girl?

Post by rgh » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:03 am

M.G. wrote:In the scene when abby strips down nakid and lay down in owens bed she also seems very concerned about him not to look. My thoughts about this is a little divided.

If it has something to do with her body has more to show then normal girls(for exampel wings), it could be she doesnt thinks owen is ready to see her as she really is. She may think she is "gross" for using her own terms in compare to humans.

Its ofcourse also possible that she is just like any other normal girl and shy about not letting boys see her naked and I find this explanation more bearing then the winged one, it just dosent fit in and I think MR isnt the kind of director to implement that kind of fact into the story. Again, what refutes this theory though could be that she was concerned about not letting owen see her undress under the whole time, not just the last part when she has nothing on but also right after she takes of her shirt just because she actually had something she didnt want owen to see.
Abby still had blood on her face (and cloths) in the bed scene. That is the primary reason she didn't want him to look.

M.G.

Post by M.G. » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:51 pm

Wonder if she cared about that much though. Why wouldnt she just clean it of before then? At least in the face.

thestich

Post by thestich » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:05 pm

Wonder if she cared about that much though. Why wouldnt she just clean it of before then? At least in the face.
Now THIS is worth speculating about, in all 3 versions.

Why did Eli/Abbi NOT clean up before arriving at Oskar/Owens place?

Was he/she/it so desperate for contact after nomming their familiar that this totally slipped their minds? :think:
While wandering here between posts and FF, I am gradually getting convinced, that I haven't seen anywhere more beautiful madness than on this forum. Clubmeister

gymmy64

Post by gymmy64 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:27 pm

thestich wrote:

Was he/she/it so desperate for contact after nomming their familiar that this totally slipped their minds? :think:
I was talking to my sister about this the other day. She wondered why in "True Blood" none of the vampires seemed to mind walking around after being drenched in blood from feeding, and I noted the same habit with Eli & Abby. Perhaps after decades (centuries) of being zapped with arterial spray, they just don't care?

ColBlair

Post by ColBlair » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:26 pm

gymmy64 wrote:
thestich wrote:

I was talking to my sister about this the other day. She wondered why in "True Blood" none of the vampires seemed to mind walking around after being drenched in blood from feeding, and I noted the same habit with Eli & Abby. Perhaps after decades (centuries) of being zapped with arterial spray, they just don't care?
That's a possibility gymmy64.

DavidZahir

Post by DavidZahir » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Okay, this has been a pet peeve of mine in terms of vampire movies--vampires as sloppy eaters.

I understand some of them would be. Others might be sloppy now and then. Plus the occasional accident. But making all vampires sloppy eaters strikes me as dumb.

As far as Abby is concerned (and Eli in the same scene) I agree that she just doesn't think about it. She's distracted, having just lost/killed an old, dear friend--worse, after the equivalent of an argument.
O let my name be in the Book of Love. If it be there I care not
For that Other great Book above. Strike it out! Or write it in anew--
But let My name be in the Book of Love!
-- Omar Kayam

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:56 am

I came up with a wacky theory that Eli/Abby didn't clean the blood off her mouth as a test of Oskar/Owen's suitability as guardian. Basically she was looking for someone who would obey without question no matter how arbitrary the request. The very first time I saw the original, I thought Eli was behaving like a god testing a mortal. Don't open that box, don't eat that fruit, don't look back, etc.

She tells him "don't look" and if he doesn't, they can continue to be friends and Abby can continue to work to lure him away from his family. If he does look, Owen would prove to be unsuitable as a guardian and be nommed in the bed. Simple test really.

To be honest, I think it was a stylistic choice. It is wonderfully creepy how a bloody vampire can be involved in such a touching scene.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

rgh

Post by rgh » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:36 am

thestich wrote:

In the book, Eli was only naked, she was not blood covered. They face each other at points during the bedroom scene.

rgh

Post by rgh » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:52 am

DavidZahir wrote:Okay, this has been a pet peeve of mine in terms of vampire movies--vampires as sloppy eaters.

I understand some of them would be. Others might be sloppy now and then. Plus the occasional accident. But making all vampires sloppy eaters strikes me as dumb.

As far as Abby is concerned (and Eli in the same scene) I agree that she just doesn't think about it. She's distracted, having just lost/killed an old, dear friend--worse, after the equivalent of an argument.
Eli's/Abby's sloppiness could be attributed to her usually using a helper to procure blood. The fact that she doesn't seem especially good at it (Eli anyway) tells me that she doesn't do it herself very often. Plus, she's still a kid, perhaps lacking the finesse of a mature vampire.

I, too, think Eli/Abby was distracted by the situation, and in addition, Eli is not accustom to normal social interaction. After all, she had to be prompted to shower. Abby does seem a little more socialized, but still seemed to have the same hygiene issues.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:33 pm

rgh wrote:
thestich wrote:

In the book, Eli was only naked, she was not blood covered. They face each other at points during the bedroom scene.
(Eli, why do you come to my bed with your hands smelling of gasoline?)
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Return to “Let Me In”