Was Abby a girl?

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

lombano

Re: Was Abby a girl?

Post by lombano » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:32 pm

He didn't seemed shocked to me, just surprised and displeased. I think the ony plausible reactions had he seen a castration scar would be shock (Oskar's reaction), horror or disgust.
Bli mig lite.

Sevil Ile

Post by Sevil Ile » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:44 pm

drakkar wrote:
rgh wrote:
preythestars wrote:At least to me, owen's reaction when he peeked at abby was one of shock, like he saw something abnormal.
I'm not convinced that he saw anything abnormal or that he even processed what he saw.
I wonder why Owen had this shocked expression peeking on Abby. Owen did quite a lot of peeking in the film, looking less surprised than this?
I don't understand where people are getting this notion that Owen is "shocked" when he sneaks a peek at Abby; to me, his face stays rather expressionless throughout, and afterward, he almost looks as if he is trying to suppress a grin (presumably being satisfied with what he saw). Here, look at his expression first in the beginning of the peek, then at the end right before he walks away, and then when he is waiting for Abby to come out:

lombano wrote:He didn't seemed shocked to me, just surprised and displeased. I think the ony plausible reactions had he seen a castration scar would be shock (Oskar's reaction), horror or disgust.
I agree with this, bar the "displeased" part.
Last edited by Sevil Ile on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M.G.

Post by M.G. » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:35 pm

He saw her(its) wings?

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:49 pm

lombano wrote:He didn't seemed shocked to me, just surprised and displeased. I think the ony plausible reactions had he seen a castration scar would be shock (Oskar's reaction), horror or disgust.
Expressed myself as bit inaccurate, I'm afraid. I was actually thinking "surprised" rather than "shocked".
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

DavidZahir

Post by DavidZahir » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:35 am

My couple of pennies...

First, I thought Owen looked fascinated, but then kinda/sorta guilty. This is a contrast to the way he spied on the neighbor, and shied away in fear. Rather in this case he was reacting to Abby, not just a naked girl.

Second, if Abby isn't a girl, then she's a boy with pubescent boobs. :oops:
O let my name be in the Book of Love. If it be there I care not
For that Other great Book above. Strike it out! Or write it in anew--
But let My name be in the Book of Love!
-- Omar Kayam

lombano

Post by lombano » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 am

Sevil Ile wrote: I don't understand where people are getting this notion that Owen is "shocked" when he sneaks a peek at Abby; to me, his face stays rather expressionless throughout, and afterward, he almost looks as if he is trying to suppress a grin (presumably being satisfied with what he saw). Here, look at his expression ...
lombano wrote:He didn't seemed shocked to me, just surprised and displeased. I think the only plausible reactions had he seen a castration scar would be shock (Oskar's reaction), horror or disgust.
I agree with this, bar the "displeased" part.
Yes, afterwards he looks like he's trying to suppress a grin, but while peeking he still looks surprised and not pleased to me.
Bli mig lite.

darman1817

Post by darman1817 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:18 am

I agree with those who think Owen was just reacting to seeing a naked girl up close for the 1st time, a reaction made slightly worse because the naked girl also happened to be a friend. The (satisfied?) grin afterwards would seem to support that idea.

The theory that Owen saw her wings also sounds plausible, since it would definitely evoke a little shock on the first sight, but afterward he might grin as he thinks, "Well, she's a vampire, why am I surprised at wings?"

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:57 am

Could be, but Owen seemed to be an experienced voyeur, and now he is more surprised than bewfore in the film...
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

DavidZahir

Post by DavidZahir » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:22 am

Still can't get past the boobs. :twisted:

Plus this isn't just some almost-stranger but his best/only friend/official girlfriend Abby--completely naked no less!
O let my name be in the Book of Love. If it be there I care not
For that Other great Book above. Strike it out! Or write it in anew--
But let My name be in the Book of Love!
-- Omar Kayam

M.G.

Post by M.G. » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:00 pm

In the scene when abby strips down nakid and lay down in owens bed she also seems very concerned about him not to look. My thoughts about this is a little divided.

If it has something to do with her body has more to show then normal girls(for exampel wings), it could be she doesnt thinks owen is ready to see her as she really is. She may think she is "gross" for using her own terms in compare to humans.

Its ofcourse also possible that she is just like any other normal girl and shy about not letting boys see her naked and I find this explanation more bearing then the winged one, it just dosent fit in and I think MR isnt the kind of director to implement that kind of fact into the story. Again, what refutes this theory though could be that she was concerned about not letting owen see her undress under the whole time, not just the last part when she has nothing on but also right after she takes of her shirt just because she actually had something she didnt want owen to see.

Return to “Let Me In”