Was Abby a girl?

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

Bioroid

Re: Was Abby a girl?

Post by Bioroid » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:58 am

This discussion is a bit old, but just thought I'd add a personal anecdote.

When Abby says twice "I'm not a girl", "I'm a vampire" was not in fact the first interpretation to come to mind, but eventually I figured that's what she meant.

A lady friend of mine also saw the film around the same time I did, and we were discussing it, and although I had not seen the Swedish film or read the book at the time, I had read after seeing LMI on the internet that the character Abby was based on was actually a castrated boy. I mentioned this to my friend, who said, "OH, wow. That explains some questions I had."

I went on to explain to her what little of Eli's backstory I could find, and she thought it made more sense than what we actually saw in LMI, so it isn't actually impossible for someone unfamiliar with LTROI to get the whole "she's a boy" interpretation from LMI.

a7xr0cker182

Post by a7xr0cker182 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:27 am

well in let the right one in, it shows a scar on eli's private part, so in that book/movie she wasn't a girl since she was castrated when she was turned into a vampire, but in let me in, it shows owen peeking on abby undressing, but it doesen't show her scar, so abby was probably a girl since some things were changed between these movies, so the gender thing for abby was probably changed into her always being a girl, abby saying that she wasn't in the movie was probably referring to her being a vampire, instead of a girl, same thing with let the right one in

Roy

Post by Roy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:00 am

I'm new here and I joined to reply to this post after stumbling on to this website through some Google inquiries regarding some thoughts I had with the movie. Firstly, i have only seen the American version and based on some of the things I have read about the other two versions (book & original film) I will be honest and say I would still probably prefer the remake.

Secondly, I work nights and I don't want anyone to think of me as a troll if I don't come back. It is not my intention. Sometimes I log into forums I never get the chance to return to because something else takes my attention while on my shift during downtime. So although I may bring up a point of contention and (may) disappear...I promise you I am not an internet troll.

Thirdly, forgive my grammatical errors...I'm on night shift, it's 1AM for me.

I wanted to log in here and say I know this topic is rather old, but I found it offensive that someone like me who would prefer Abby to be seen as a female rather than an androgynous she-male thingy is referred to as how was it put...."an Americanized Conservative who needed to be pacified by the director of the remake." Personally I think gender/sexuality issues are thrown in our face far too often and a story could be told in such fashion without all that. I don't really see how her being a she-male thingy adds any depth as opposed to her being a young girl bitten by a vampire. Her plight is no darker since she is already a young vampire stuck in a morbid life of killing humans to survive. I have my personal reasons for believing as I do and I will not waste time imposing those on you, but I find it offensive for someone to label someone with my views because I don't always want to be reminded of the sexuality wars going on in our time through a movie I may be watching. Sorry if that offends you, but that's just my preference on the matter. Is it that big of an issue, NO, it's not...I can simply tune it out or move on to another movie of my pleasure, but I just wanted to point out that everyone might not see that as artsy or explorative or brave story telling...but just as a nuisance. Again sorry if that offends, not my intention.

Nevertheless, the film was pretty good. I'm not here to throw out gasoline and then toss a match on it. Just wanted to say what I felt after reviewing some of the posts and came across a statement about how the director is playing safe to pacify people who may be offended by the whole in your face gender/sexuality thingy. I think it's nice to have three different versions for all parties involved; one for those who don't mind the gender/sexuality situation, those who want it ambiguous and those who would prefer to see Abby as a female.

Roy

Return to “Let Me In”