Reviews of LMI

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

ColBlair

Re: Reviews of LMI

Post by ColBlair » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:35 am

foxfire wrote:
ColBlair wrote:One thing I started to notice is that I believe that Abby will not make the same mistake as she did with her "Father" or Thomas as his name was in the comic LMI: Crossroads.
Wait, the comic came out and I'm only finding out now? :(
First issue came out on December 8th. Second issue came out on January 12th, I believe. They are pretty good so far.

GizWeasel

Post by GizWeasel » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:44 am

ColBlair wrote:
foxfire wrote:
ColBlair wrote:One thing I started to notice is that I believe that Abby will not make the same mistake as she did with her "Father" or Thomas as his name was in the comic LMI: Crossroads.
First issue came out on December 8th. Second issue came out on January 12th, I believe. They are pretty good so far.
Issue 3 is scheduled for Feb 16th and issue 4 on Mar 23rd.
Smitten or bitten

foxfire

Post by foxfire » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:09 am

ColBlair wrote:
foxfire wrote:
After tracking down the first two issues, I can't say that I'm impressed by the artwork, but I'll look for the final two.

ColBlair

Post by ColBlair » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:32 pm

foxfire wrote:After tracking down the first two issues, I can't say that I'm impressed by the artwork, but I'll look for the final two.
Same here, I can't wait to see what happens.

DarkGuyver

Post by DarkGuyver » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:47 am

Well, as a guy who watched "Let Me In" before watching the original Swedish version (Let The Right One In) and reading the novel. I would say that I actually enjoyed "Let Me In", the storyline was very relatable as there has been a point in everybodys life when they felt that they have been in either Abby or Owen's situation. While I felt that the movie itself was pretty so-so, I have to say I was amaze at the performance of the two lead Child actors. Who managed to put on a stunning performance for such an difficult roles.

While I prefer the both the original Swedish version and the novel to "Let Me In", I would have to say that it is possibly one of the best movie I have seen in 2010.

ColBlair

Post by ColBlair » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:30 pm

I was amazed with the two young child actors too in LMI myself.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:37 am

Since the blu-ray/dvd now (at last) is released in Norway, a few reviews of LMI are starting to appear.
The reviews are generally very good, even if some reviwers also characterise the film as redundant.
Like Bergens Tidende, who below the heading "Lovely remake" and the second heading "beautiful but redundant remake" starts with asking if "the american really needed to make their own version of LdRKI". The reviewer (Britt Sørensen) answers this question "no", and explains the remake by American subtext phobia and mental drought in Hollywood.
From then on the reviewer praises LMI, and cannot think of any American director better suited to do LMI than Matt Reeves. She goes on with "The American wiped off the constant snot under Oskar's nose", "Abby is more guilty and more terrifying", "beautifully crafted cinematography" and "eminent acting", before summing up with a 5/6.

Also, the Norwegian Film Institute has selected LMI as the film of the month. Not bad! They approach their review by starting off with a "quite often American remakes of European hit films sucks, but LMI is an exception.

I don't know how well the film is doing on dvd, other than it is not among the top ten. The film wasn't screened on Norwegian theatres.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Return to “Let Me In”