About Let me in

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

Barb

Re: About Let me in

Post by Barb » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:38 pm

JAL is a true gentleman and a diplomat!

However, even though I deeply respect his artistry and his insights, I didn't like LMI in the least. I guess I'm going to have to agree to disagree with him.

editrice

Post by editrice » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:25 am

TAPETRVE wrote:@Editrice: Are you running the JAL Facebook site, too?
No, 'tis not me. Our marketing people post there with info from time to time, though.

StefL

Post by StefL » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:12 pm

Shouldn't this thread be "glued" - or whatever the English term might be - so that it appears at the top of this forum category? Since it contains highly relevant material from our favourite author I'd hate to see it drop further down the list and finally disappear off the first page.

Edit: And I'd especially like to see that happen since it will most likely be some time before I'll be able to see LMI and I generally try to avoid reading much of what's written in this section for the time being, saving it until I've seen the film and am able to have my own opinion.
Last edited by StefL on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:20 pm

StefL wrote:Shouldn't this thread be "glued" - or whatever the English term might be - so that it appears at the top of this forum category? Since it contains highly relevant material from our favourite author I'd hate to see it drop further down the list and finally disappear off the first page.
Very good idea 8-)

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:06 pm

Okey dokey.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

SunButterfly

Post by SunButterfly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:43 am

Very good to see you here on the forums. I'd knew you come by sooner or later, my love for both of the movies are different in many ways. They both had me wanting to cry right after I saw the movie, I myself am an outcast and it really a deep connection with both of the characters. Let Me In was very dark, Let The Right One In was beautiful, they both have lots of different emotions coming from the characters. I felt for both Eli and Abby, Eli was mysterious and sweet, Abby seemed very shy in some ways and also very terrifying. Oscar was lonely and was looking for a friend, Owen had lots of emotions, I loved how he smiled when they bullies were getting yelled at in the pool and his smiled faded as soon as the bullies looked at him. If you look at both of them, you'll see lots of differences and similarities, as I was watching Let Me In, I also had Let The Right On In on my mind as well. I have respect for both films, I'm very picky whenever I watch any type of film and I must say that Let The Right On In is my favorite movie, Let Me In is growing, think I might go to see it again before it leaves the theaters. The movie never ever seems to leave my mind, it's here to stay inside my heart. :)
"Be me, for a while." ~Eli
She will keep you safe, she will keep you close, she will keep you forever. ~Let Me In

LastDarkness

Post by LastDarkness » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:28 pm

Thanks for the insight and reviews.

I after having personaly seen LMI 5 times so far must say that I am disappointed at Matt Reeves and his Producers/Script Writers.
I enjoyed the movie but was not very happy with them basicaly taking JAL's script and rewriting a few scenes and drasticaly changing characters to make it american. It would have been much nicer as a differant writers take on the novel(As a screen writer myself this is really close to plagerism to me).
The real problem I had with the movie was Matt Reevse directing style, he really dosnt understand subtlety and nuances like body language and really didnt pull these out of any of his actors. He had some great talents to work with who almost all give cold unemotional two dimentional performances, Kodi was the only actor in the film who seemed "Alive" to me. Tomas Alfredson understood this better and as Wolfchild has documented theres a whole differant conversation going on between the characters in LTROI then what they are simply saying. This is alot more in line with the book since it was these subtle things that basicaly prevent Eli from eating Oscar.

Anyways my Rant is over.
" Есть человек, есть проблема. Нет человека, нет проблемы. "
(If there is a person, there is a problem. If there is no person, then there is no problem.)

stormbringer951

Post by stormbringer951 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:27 pm

To quote Mark Kermode:
Let The Right One In is a story about growing up, which just happens to have vampires in it. Let Me In is a vampire movie which just happens to have children in it.

What do you guys think?

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:08 pm

stormbringer951 wrote:To quote Mark Kermode:
Let The Right One In is a story about growing up, which just happens to have vampires in it. Let Me In is a vampire movie which just happens to have children in it.

What do you guys think?
No, given my school experiences were more like Owen's than Oskars, LMI was definitely a movie about growing up for me, with vampires.

danielma

Post by danielma » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:24 am

I was staying away from this thread simply because of my own conflicted feelings towards LMI...but what the hell I'll throw in my 2 cents here

First of all, I respect JAL for honestly giving his opinion, I think someone else said it best in this thread, it is the mark of JAL being a true gentleman. So I respect JAL's honesty in his opinion, as always. And it is great to read his very honest opinion of the film

What do you guys think?
I think that is kind of a nice apt quote to be honest. I really do because that is how I feel about LMI. I enjoyed certain aspects of LMI, but when it was all said and done, it just felt like another Vampire film only with children involved...there was something missing there and I've felt the same way after all four viewings of LMI. So I think that is kind of an apt quote personally.
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

Return to “Let Me In”