Better directors?

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

CyberGhostface

Better directors?

Post by CyberGhostface » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Who do you think would be a better director for this film than Matt Reeves?

I've said this a couple of times, but I think Guillermo del Toro would have been a great choice just for Pan's Labyrinth's alone. If you haven't seen it, you should.

Besides him, Danny Boyle. If anyone's seen his film Millions, it's a great film about childhood and I think he would understand that dynamic in place with this film. And his other work has shown he has no problem tackling some pretty grim and disturbing stuff.
No banaaaanas?

Tom

Re: Better directors?

Post by Tom » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:00 pm

Spike Jonze, "Where The Wild Things Are" was probably one of the best coming-of-age films in recent years.

BTW, he can play a vampire, too! :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648128/

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:21 pm

Speaking of Spike Jonze, anyone think that Max Records would make a good Oskar?

No banaaaanas?

TheVoxHumanus

Post by TheVoxHumanus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:45 pm

CyberGhostface wrote:Speaking of Spike Jonze, anyone think that Max Records would make a good Oskar?

A thousand times yes.

I don't think Del Toro would be a good choice. Subtlety is not his strong suit.

jellmoo

Post by jellmoo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:35 am

I'd like to see somebody who can really bring a character to life, and not harp too much on detail. Gus Van Sant did that pretty well with Good Will Hunting and Milk.

I also think that Luc Besson could keep the characterization well but add a little more "oomph" in terms of film pacing and action like in The Professional and The Fifth Element.

By the same token, I'd like to avoid a "big name" director come in and add their ridiculous "signatures". I don't want to see a ton of lens flare for no reason (I'm already worried about that with Reeves) or some ridiculous M. Night Shamal... M. Night Shumo... M. Night Shima... any ridiculous plot twisst!!!
---
At one point, we have all been both the monster and the victim.
Time will tell for which you will be remembered.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:14 am

I would like to see someone do another remake sometime in the future, especially if the present one turns out badly.

Ramin Bahrani is a relatively unknown director who might have some interest in the characters and especially the setting.

I also like Ang Lee. He is a big name director, but I don't think he has a "signature style" or even a specific genre. As far as I know he has never made a horror film. His strength seems to be in defining characters and relationships so he might make an interesting choice.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

OUTSIDER

Post by OUTSIDER » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:59 am

This name I throw out will probably get many laughs .... But .. I think Ron Howard would do a great job.

jellmoo

Post by jellmoo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:18 am

OUTSIDER wrote:This name I throw out will probably get many laughs .... But .. I think Ron Howard would do a great job.
I think that Ron Howard *can* do it, but he has a penchant for doing things... grand. If it's the Ron Howard that made Frost/Nixon or A Beautiful Mind, then I think he could do it. He has the heart and the ability to zero in on a character. However, I'd be afraid that it's the DaVinci Code or Willow Ron Howard that might show up, the one where he goes over the top and let's the movie get away from him.
---
At one point, we have all been both the monster and the victim.
Time will tell for which you will be remembered.

Aurora

Post by Aurora » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:33 am

CyberGhostface wrote:Speaking of Spike Jonze, anyone think that Max Records would make a good Oskar?
Cyber have I ever told you what good taste you have? :D

To make sense of the above statement see the thread "Who would you have cast..." in this forum ;)

I don't have a prefered director in mind, there have been some good suggestions made already however.
Team Eli

TheVoxHumanus

Post by TheVoxHumanus » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:13 pm

I like the Ramin Bahrani suggestion. ....interesting, to say the least. I'm not so sure he'd take a liking to the supernatural elements though, or the entire horror genre. He seems to be more of a "cinematic realist" if such a thing exists.

Definitely disagree with Ron Howard. Even his "quiet" pictures don't really exhibit any kind of restraint, let alone the restraint necessary to tell the story in the way it needs to be told.

Return to “Let Me In”