Fangoria Podcast of LTROI

Links to interviews, trailers and other media
a_contemplative_life

Fangoria Podcast of LTROI

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:21 am

dongregg

Re: Fangoria Podcast of LTROI

Post by dongregg » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:57 am

Got 404 a lot, but managed to watch all of Elijah Wood talking about his favorite horror movies, and mentioning he likes LTROI. :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:28 am

It's called The Girls in the Back Row on iTunes.

The gal who read the book didn't read it very carefully. She assumed that Eli grew up with Hakan, that Hakan turned into a vampire, and that Eli was just using Oskar to be the next Renfield. Wow. Reading comprehension sorely lacking.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:36 am

Wow. Reading comprehension sorely lacking.
You see that a lot, especially calling Håkan Eli's father. Or thinking Eli must be evil because vampires are evil.

Readers wanted.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:59 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:It's called The Girls in the Back Row on iTunes.

The gal who read the book didn't read it very carefully. She assumed that Eli grew up with Hakan, that Hakan turned into a vampire, and that Eli was just using Oskar to be the next Renfield. Wow. Reading comprehension sorely lacking.
Well, I'll stick up for the one who read the book. I believe that was Tab. I don't think that she was the one speculating on whether Håkan had grown up with Eli. That was the other one, Kate. The one who said something like, "I couldn't really hear it when I watched it because my boyfriend was right behind me playing videos games." The one who basically phoned it in. The one to whom I wanted say, "That's fine dear. Why don't you go and get coffee for everyone while your guest and your prepared and insightful friend take care of the podcast?" Oh wait, did I type that out loud? :x

To be fair to Tab, in the novel, Håkan did turn into a vampire. He was just already dead when it happened. And there is nothing in the novel to say that Oskar does not grow up to be another Håkan. That after all is the premise of Let Me In, and until Let The Old Dreams Die, there was nothing to contradict such a notion.

I have to admit that I liked Tab. She got a lot more out of this film than most reviewers. In fact, she is the only reviewer of this film that I have ever come across who I would actually like to watch the film with, and then go have coffee and chat about it afterward.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:59 am

Au contraire, Hakan came back as a zombie, not a vampire. Eli refers to him as the undead...and that's why even the destruction of his heart did not stop him. And her argument about Eli ensnaring Oskar to replace Hakan betrays ignorance of one of the most important passages of the novel:
They curled up under the balcony. There was no time.
Eli turned his face to Oskar's, said:
Closed his mouth. Then pressed a kiss on Oskar's lips.
For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was . . . himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love.
For a few seconds.

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:12 am

Uh oh, here we go. I do agree with a_c_l though. Lol that rhymed. :D

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:39 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:Au contraire, Hakan came back as a zombie, not a vampire. Eli refers to him as the undead...and that's why even the destruction of his heart did not stop him. And her argument about Eli ensnaring Oskar to replace Hakan betrays ignorance of one of the most important passages of the novel:
They curled up under the balcony. There was no time.
Eli turned his face to Oskar's, said:
Closed his mouth. Then pressed a kiss on Oskar's lips.
For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was . . . himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love.
For a few seconds.
Sigh. You're going to make me listen to the podcast again to get her exact wording, are you? :lol: My recollection is not that she said that was Eli's intent, but that she thought Oskar was going to end up as another Håkan. And there is certainly nothing in either the book or the film to rule out such a notion. (Thank goodness that LTODD laid it to rest!)

As for Håkan, I suppose we must quibble about the definition of "vampire". Eli claimed that he was not... that. I guess one could also claim that Håkan was not... that. However, Håkan was definitely infected. Does that not make him a vampire, dead or not? Why did he attack the morgue attendant? Why were there a bunch of dead cats found near Bjornsonsgatan? Do these things not imply that, dead or not, he was feeding? What are the differences between Håkan and a vampire other than surviving a destroyed heart?
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:28 am

Well, I will confess that I only listened to it one time as well...and would view re-listening to it to win (or lose) an argument onerous. It just surprised me that having read the novel, she was so quick to jump to the notion that Oskar was merely Hakan's replacement, because I don't think that is consistent with a careful reading of the story. I think the novel asks us to contrast the relationship that Eli jettisons with Hakan, which is superficially about love but really is not, to what she gains with Oskar. Maybe if you decide to pursue your thoughts of speaking with her about the novel, you could explore this with her and see what she thinks.

As for Hakan, I think you are quibbling a bit but others on this forum have argued over the same question. To me, the distinction was clear because Eli always perceived herself as vulnerable to a stake through the heart, whereas Hakan clearly has no such vulnerability, and whereas Eli needs blood, Hakan's focus seems to be consuming flesh.

Return to “Media”