Eli as a Metaphor for Female Genitalia?

Links to interviews, trailers and other media
lombano

Re: Eli as a Metaphor for Female Genitalia?

Post by lombano » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:47 pm

I won't speculate about the psychology of girls during puberty, beyond noting that a certain shame at their changing bodies doesn't seem to be uncommon, at least in these parts. However, the film is largely from Oskar's POV, so you could tweak the reviewer's analysis as a boy's take on girls' puberty, particularly menstruation. It should also be noted that Reeves had a dark-side-of-puberty theme in LMI associated with Abby's vampire form. Of course, the problem with the menstruation interpretation is that the bleeding in the film, instead of being something wholly uncontrolled, is the result of either killing or entering uninvited, and it's "her" blood only in the latter case, so it doesn't really work, but it's still an interesting angle.
It should also be noted that in some fanfic, after the castration Eli sort of connects his bleeding with menstrual bleeding and it fits in with the whole thing of presenting as female later. Obviously that's separate from the review as the reviewer doesn't know about the castration, but it's also an interesting idea.
Bli mig lite.

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:16 am

An F for geography and history, doesn't even remember Eli's name, he thinks Eli's a girl FGS, didn't bother to read the novel, no research, the type of half-arsed psychoanalysis that only the stupid would attempt. But Freud would be kinda proud.
Goes to prove that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Ignorant people should learn to stay quiet rather than advertising the fact to others.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:02 pm

When you have a YouTube channel and you have to come up with something to post this week, well... put a microphone in front of someone and there is pressure to speak. The review might have stumbled across crumbs of an interesting idea, but then it basically brushes those crumbs out of its beard as it sloppily wipes its mouth with the back of its hand. (How's that for imagery? :twisted: ) Virginia commits suicide rather than be reminded of the "trauma" of the onset of her menses? Really? REALLY? :think:

I recently made a post about how Ginger Snaps was a great parable for girls passing through puberty. Having thought of that film recently, I have a hard time seeing LTROI as trying to tread the same ground. While the film does show Oskar trying (I can remember his name :P ) seeking some support from adults, Eli (I can remember his name, too :P :P ) is never portrayed this way. In fact, the reviewer even picks up how the glimpse of Eli's pubis during the peek scene portrays him as non-sexual. Yet all of the blood is about the pain and confusion of Eli passing into womanhood without guidance? How does this non-sexual character symbolize the passage into sexuality?

I have read too many reviews of LTROI to count, and I have disagreed with a lot of them. For this one, however, I just feel disdain. It is intellectually lazy. It cannot follow its own arguments. Worse still it doesn't even respect the film, nor any potential viewers. When was the last time you saw a reviewer recommend that you skip over boring parts of a film? The message here is, "I got nothing out of these scenes, so you won't, either."

Sorry for all the snark. It's a good thing that I'm so shy that I won't tell you what I really think. :roll:
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:03 pm

Wolfchild wrote:When you have a YouTube channel and you have to come up with something to post this week, well...
When the reviewer implies he got nothing out of pats of the film, he says too much. He shoulda just said, "I got nothing, but here's my podcast anyway."
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Cthulhuthanos

Post by Cthulhuthanos » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:29 pm

*Opens door, leans in, looks around* "Ah, so this is the part of the website that the adults tell us to stay away from." *slowly closes door*

Return to “Media”