The book LTROI has been used in classrooms, and studying

Links to interviews, trailers and other media
intrige

The book LTROI has been used in classrooms, and studying

Post by intrige » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Here is the article and the news report about it: http://www.svt.se/nyheter/regionalt/sma ... till-hjalp In swedish.
Vi har tittat på ”Ondskan” och ”Låt den rätte komma in” och diskuterat hur kvinnor och män framställs. I "Låt den rätte komma in" finns dessutom en hen som vi diskuterar hur vi kan använda oss av med eleverna, säger svenska och bildläraren Mia Lindgren.
We have looked at "Evil" and "Let the Right One In" and discussed how women and men are prepared. In "Let the Right One In" is also a chicken as we discuss how we can make use of the students, says Swedish and photo teacher Mia Lindgren.
I am actually not quite sure about what the chicken means. In norwegian, if you "har en høne å blukke med, noen. /A chicken to nap on someone, it means there is unfinnished busniss, and probably a fight also. It might mean that they have something unfinnished they want to work with.

But basickly, they studied LTROI to let the gender nroms differ from what they are used to, also between he teachers and students. Into helping the teachers view their students as individuals and not a girl or boy. For instence, if a girl does a god job, not saying: Good girl, or if a boy begins a fight, what a noisy(layd boy. But instead remove the boy and girl aspects and help them with the troubles or talents as a person and not as a gender. And by studying LTROI would aperently help them to get that.

Personally, I find this quite funny, and also very interesting. Oskar and Eli's relationship for instence, who's the male and female in the relationship? Is there a need to be a female and male in a relationship? Eli views himself as a nongendered human, does that make him or oskar gay, or it it more than just about their genders, but THEM AS INDIVIDUALS. I cam defenetly see why they chose to study LTROI as it brings up taboos in this matter. And I am glad someone sees it not just as a horrific lovestoyr .. or however a non-infected views the book, I wouldn't know. :roll:
But very interesting.

Metoo, any swede, or anyone, knows the spesific meaning of hun in swedish? It would help :)
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Jameron

Re: The book LTROI has been used in classrooms, and studying

Post by Jameron » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:04 pm

That's very cool.

I can honestly say that no school in the UK would ever use Let The Right One In, not with Håkan's antics still in there, anyway. :lol:

It really is a shame.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

EEA

Post by EEA » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:17 pm

Cool. :) I think in my high school my teacher would have let us read LTROI. When I was in the last year of high school she let us choose what book we wanted to read. I chose The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
As for he and she, in Spanish there is no neutral word. Is either boy or girl.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:10 pm

If not "hen" is the gender neutral personal pronoun, and in that case I guess they mean Eli.
We can of course discuss if Eli really is a "hen", but when the board members here use both him and her about Eli, I guess they have a point.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

EEA

Post by EEA » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:23 pm

I agree. In Spanish it would be difficult. In English there is the word child, or kid which can be used to show some neutrality.
In Spanish there isn't. Eli is either identify as a he or she.
I read a book a few years ago that dealt with the issue of identity. Is called Solitaire by Kelley Eskridge. Also in some of her short stories she deals with this theme.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:45 pm

As I understand it, "hen" is not officially correct Swedish, but the word/description is of some use as a pronoun.
In the article Intrige refers to, it isn't immediately clear that hen is a pronoun, however this is how I see it.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Intrige, I had a quiet laugh when I read your (Google's?) translation. Sorry for being late to this thread, but drakkar is right. "Hen" is proposed as a gender neutral pronoun for the Swedish language, but it's still an open question if it is going to catch on.

Wikipedia has an article in Swedish on the subject.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Return to “Media”