TA to direct The Brothers Lionheart

Links to interviews, trailers and other media
metoo

TA to direct The Brothers Lionheart

Post by metoo » Wed May 23, 2012 5:44 pm

According to Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter, Tomas Alfredson has bought the rights to The Brothers Lionheart. This might become an interesting movie!
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Nightrider

Re: TA to direct The Brothers Lionheart

Post by Nightrider » Thu May 24, 2012 1:54 am

The article doesn't say if TA will direct or produce the film. Could be interesting. It might introduce Astrid Lindgren's name to a whole new audience...I'm thinking big budget version of Karlsson on the Roof!
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue May 29, 2012 9:24 am

According to Dagens Nyheter today, JAL will write the script and Hoyte van Hoytema will shoot.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Tue May 29, 2012 9:52 am

Ahh - so this was the script he was talking about last cristmas.
John writing a script from one of Astrid Lindgrens novels - directed by Tomas Alfredson - Hoyte van Hoytema behind the camera - my expectations just went sky high. :D
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue May 29, 2012 9:54 am

My son and I are currently reading the book. I can't imagine how it would not be great with the LTROI Team making it.

StefL

Post by StefL » Tue May 29, 2012 1:03 pm

As mentioned above, it's JAL writing the script! :D
http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/film-tv/sk ... ejonhjarta

Makalli

Post by Makalli » Tue May 29, 2012 6:35 pm

If Johan Söderqvist is to do the score this will be perfect.

I'd say this just made my day, but I have a feeling I'll be happy because of this for a lot longer :D .

Copied and pasted from other thread, because I'm so psyched.
Döden besökte mig i morse. Vi spelar schack tillsammans.

StefL

Post by StefL » Tue May 29, 2012 8:48 pm

I have to admit that I see a tremendous potential in this project. Still, Bröderna Lejonhjärta being perhaps my all time favourite of Astrid Lindgren's stories I kind of also dread seeing it being made into a film - once more... But considering the budget and today's technological possibilities I still look forward to it. The original film of 1977 - and it's 1985 extended version - is actually quite good, and since the script was written by Astrid Lindgren herself it kind of parallells LTROI.
But if there is one person I'd trust writing a new adaptation it is JAL, and with TA directing and HvH behind the camera this will surely be a treat!

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Wed May 30, 2012 12:19 am

I read the synopsis of The Brothers Lionheart on Wiki....Wow, heavy stuff for a children's book. I gather, since the new movie version will be a Swedish production it's going to stick close to the source novel. Just think....if this film catches on with the public an inevitable Hollywood re-make will follow...with lots of politically correct plot changes.
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

StefL

Post by StefL » Wed May 30, 2012 6:14 am

Nightrider wrote:I read the synopsis of The Brothers Lionheart on Wiki....Wow, heavy stuff for a children's book. I gather, since the new movie version will be a Swedish production it's going to stick close to the source novel. Just think....if this film catches on with the public an inevitable Hollywood re-make will follow...with lots of politically correct plot changes.
I'd really be interested in knowing how well known this story is internationally. I guess Pippi Longstocking is the most internationally known of Astrid Lindgren's stories, and then I know that Emil in Lönneberga is popular in Germany and Karlsson På Taket is a favourite in Russia. But what about Bröderna Lejonhjärta - is it little known outside Sweden or what?

It's true that the story deals with heavy subjects, but Astrid Lindgren was never one to shy for those. Instead she dealt with them in a very open manner and was never the one to be dishonest towards children. I believe it is largely because of this that she is so highly regarded. Still, the main message of Bröderna Lejonhjärta is one of hope, even in the darkest of times. One might call that deceitful - and I believe that also happened to Astrid - but it's not how I perceive the story.

As of a potential future remake, I guess it would be the first time we'd see a remake of a remake? I hope of course that it never happens...

Return to “Media”