TA to direct The Brothers Lionheart

Links to interviews, trailers and other media
drakkar

Re: TA to direct The Brothers Lionheart

Post by drakkar » Wed May 30, 2012 7:05 am

It is known in Norway, but perhaps not too well known (as with Barna i Bakkebygrenda - Barnen i Bullerbyn). I've never read the book; learned about the from a radio play in NRK. Emil i Lønneberga and Pippi Langstrømpe are better known (in the film adaptions of Pippi many of the winter scenes are shot in Røros, which also helped).
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

gymmy64

Post by gymmy64 » Thu May 31, 2012 3:13 am

StefL wrote: I'd really be interested in knowing how well known this story is internationally. I guess Pippi Longstocking is the most internationally known of Astrid Lindgren's stories, and then I know that Emil in Lönneberga is popular in Germany and Karlsson På Taket is a favourite in Russia. But what about Bröderna Lejonhjärta - is it little known outside Sweden or what?
I know you can buy translations here in the U.S., but I doubt the story is even close to being as well known as those of a certain redhead. The only other film version of Lindgren's stories I am aware of that is readily available here is Alla vi barn i Bullerbyn (The Children of Noisy Village). I always thought this was a shame, since I believe that many kids in the U.S. would also enjoy Bröderna Lejonhjärta and Ronja Rövardotter. I am really looking forward to seeing this new version, especially with this team.

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Thu May 31, 2012 3:36 am

StefL wrote:
I'd really be interested in knowing how well known this story is internationally. I guess Pippi Longstocking is the most internationally known of Astrid Lindgren's stories, and then I know that Emil in Lönneberga is popular in Germany and Karlsson På Taket is a favourite in Russia. But what about Bröderna Lejonhjärta - is it little known outside Sweden or what?
Never heard of Bröderna Lejonhjärta. Both Karlsson and Pippi were well known in Russia of my youth with Karlsson being the most popular of the two. I'm talking merchandise and Russian made movies and animated series.
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:02 pm

I'm reading the book right now and I think it's pretty good. I think Kare would be a good choice for the older brother.
No banaaaanas?

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:25 pm

I finished the book last night. Overall, I thought it was good and I can see why Tomas and JAL would be interested.

I was weirded out by some bits, mainly the ending in which the two brothers effectively commit suicide together to get to yet another magical place. I can only imagine the uproar if C.S. Lewis had ended Narnia with the kids jumping off a cliff to see Aslan again. I guess that's one thing Matt Reeves will change when he gets his hands on the inevitable American "re-adaptation", eh?
No banaaaanas?

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:39 pm

I've just ordered the book on Amazon and waiting for it's arrival.
From what I was able to find, The Brother's Lionheart touches on some mature themes not usually found in children's litearture. I wonder if this is some sort of Nordic thing. As I remember from my childhood , Hans Christian Andersen's tales had some pretty heartbreaking resolutions as well.
Looking forward to reading the book.
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

StefL

Post by StefL » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:42 am

CyberGhostface wrote:I finished the book last night. Overall, I thought it was good and I can see why Tomas and JAL would be interested.

I was weirded out by some bits, mainly the ending in which the two brothers effectively commit suicide together to get to yet another magical place. I can only imagine the uproar if C.S. Lewis had ended Narnia with the kids jumping off a cliff to see Aslan again. I guess that's one thing Matt Reeves will change when he gets his hands on the inevitable American "re-adaptation", eh?
Don't forget that the Narnia series actually ends with the kids being killed in a train accident - that's what effectively brings them back to Narnia for the last time...

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:08 am

Yeah but it's not the same as deliberately committing suicide, which is effectively what the two brothers do at the end.
No banaaaanas?

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:01 am

CyberGhostface wrote:Yeah but it's not the same as deliberately committing suicide, which is effectively what the two brothers do at the end.
True, being killed is morally superior.
Last edited by metoo on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

StefL

Post by StefL » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:40 am

CyberGhostface wrote:Yeah but it's not the same as deliberately committing suicide, which is effectively what the two brothers do at the end.
I grant you that. Still, for me who was four when the book was published and who grew up with it (nor sure when I first had it read to me, probably when I was 5 or 6) it has always first and foremost represented hope - in addition to simply being a great story. I'm not sure I ever reflected much about them actually committing suicide. The first jump - when Jonatan is killed - is an accident. And the second is merely a step on the way to Nangilima. At least that's how I perceived it as a kid.

Return to “Media”