TA to direct The Brothers Lionheart

Links to interviews, trailers and other media
CyberGhostface

Re: TA to direct The Brothers Lionheart

Post by CyberGhostface » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:17 pm

metoo wrote:
CyberGhostface wrote:Yeah but it's not the same as deliberately committing suicide, which is effectively what the two brothers do at the end.
True, being killed is morally superior.
I'm not sure what your point is, but yes, dying in an accident and ending up in 'Heaven' is less problematic than deliberately jumping off a cliff to get there. If C.S. Lewis had done that, you can imagine Philip Pullman and the like would be foaming at the mouth even more than they are now.
StefL wrote:I grant you that. Still, for me who was four when the book was published and who grew up with it (nor sure when I first had it read to me, probably when I was 5 or 6) it has always first and foremost represented hope - in addition to simply being a great story. I'm not sure I ever reflected much about them actually committing suicide. The first jump - when Jonatan is killed - is an accident. And the second is merely a step on the way to Nangilima. At least that's how I perceived it as a kid.
True. FWIW I wasn't bothered or offended by it. I was just like "Huh." Not something I expected in a children's book, even one that deals with death as much as it does. Still a good book and I'm looking forward to see what Alfredson and JAL do with it but it took me off-guard a bit...
No banaaaanas?

Return to “Media”