WSJ Article About TA, Still Annoyed w/LMI Copying LTROI

Links to interviews, trailers and other media
abner_mohl

WSJ Article About TA, Still Annoyed w/LMI Copying LTROI

Post by abner_mohl » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Tomas Alfredson, The Director Who Came In From The Cold

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... lenews_wsj
The history of cinema is littered with the detritus of foreign directors who "go Hollywood." Such memorable cinematic misadventures include "Fellini's Casanova" (1976) and Antonioni's "Zabriskie Point" (1970). More recently, art-house favorites Tom Tykwer ("Run, Lola, Run") and Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck ("The Lives of Others") have provided fodder for many a critic's venom-laced pen with "The International" (2009) and "The Tourist" (2010), respectively.

Tomas Alfredson, the Swedish director of the Oscar-nominated and Bafta-winning "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy," acknowledges that this pattern at first gave him some pause. "Many filmmakers tend to be pushed into doing stuff that they're not famous for doing," the 46-year-old says, adding that being part of a foreign project was never a priority. "It wasn't the most important thing to do something international. The most important thing was to do something good."

Along with "The Artist," "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" is one of several international productions honored with Academy Award nominations. And while the espionage thriller didn't snag a nod for best film or director, its star, Gary Oldman, beat out top contenders like Leonardo DiCaprio ("J. Edgar") and Michael Fassbender ("Shame") for a best actor nomination.Alberto Iglesias's haunting score and best adapted screenplay were also nominated.

Although Sweden has a long filmmaking tradition, it is rare for homegrown directors to attract a wider audience. "[Ingmar] Bergman was unique in a way that he reached out to world-wide audiences," Mr. Alfredson says of the legendary director. "In Sweden, he was a very important person. He had a lot of power. And maybe he does cast a long shadow over everyone else," he says. The two biggest problems facing Swedish films today, he adds, are illegal downloading and the language barrier. "Maybe that is a part of globalization—that the smallest languages get the hardest blows," he says.

Mr. Alfredson was born in Stockholm, the son of a popular Swedish writer, actor and director. As a child, he often appeared in the films of his father, Hans Alfredson. Later, he worked for many years in television, mostly doing comedy, before directing his first film in 1995. International recognition eluded him until 2008's "Let the Right One In," an atmospheric horror story about a child vampire that was a surprise hit on the festival circuit, after it had been shelved for nearly a year by the film's distributor. Despite the film's commercial and critical success, Mr. Alfredson says he was fed up with the Swedish film industry and publicly announced his intention to stop making films. "It was considered a strange festival film," says Mr. Alfredson. "I had put so much love and energy and labor into the film and nobody was really caring for it."

Håkan Jegnell, chief executive of Sandrew Metronome, the film's Swedish distributor, says Mr. Alfredson misunderstood the shelving of the film, which had initially been set to open that April but was delayed to coincide with the November school holiday.

Mr. Alfredson says he turned down all sorts of offers before being approached by Working Title Films to direct "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy." It meant access to the sort of budget and talent that Sweden's shrinking film industry couldn't offer.

According to Mr. Alfredson, the biggest challenge of making "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" was working in English. Before starting production, he was confident in his command of the language, but realized how much it was lacking when he got on set. "You can use your hands and body, and trust other people to understand you, but it's really exhausting not to have the full dictionary," he says.

For a film by a foreign director, "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" is an incredibly British film. Indeed, the film snagged the Bafta for Best Outstanding British Film. Mr. Alfredson claims that his affinity to a British sensibility stems from the fact that his generation of Swedes was practically "breast-fed on British television." From Monty Python to Masterpiece Theatre, he says "everything that came out of the BBC with a quality stamp traveled to Sweden. People got the same references, because 80% of the population had seen the same TV shows."

But even beyond that, the director says the U.K. and Sweden have much in common. "I think there are a lot of bonds between our countries," he says. "I can't say why, but we understand it and appreciate the humor and irony and stiffness and stiff-upper-lipness and the social codes."

The original film version of "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" is a seven-hour 1979 BBC series that starred Alec Guinness. Mr. Alfredson, who is unhappy about an American version of his "Let the Right One In," insists that his "Tinker Tailor" isn't a remake. He points to the intricacies of Mr. le Carré's novel and the creative choices a filmmaker must make: "There are so many ways to tell the same story with so many different approaches," the director says, adding that he admires the BBC series. However, when it comes to remakes, like "Let Me In," the 2010 U.S. version of "Let the Right One In," he sings a different tune. "I think that there's something dishonest about copying someone's work. I think it's much stronger if you do something personal of your own that's original," the director says.

Outside of the late author Stieg Larsson, Mr. Alfredson is probably Sweden's most successful cultural export of the moment. The director interprets the success of Larsson's Millennium trilogy as a possible byproduct of globalization. "Everything is evening out and, as a reaction, people want to see something that is exotic. But it can't be too exotic. Seeing those quiet, melancholic people doing strange stuff in the cold north is something that appeals to people," he says with a wry laugh.

gary13136

Re: WSJ Article About TA, Still Annoyed w/LMI Copying LTROI

Post by gary13136 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:31 pm

One thing in the article that I felt to be interesting was his experience of working on an English-speaking movie: TTSS in this case. Having heard him speak in other interviews and doing the commentary with JAL on the British DVD of LTROI, I felt that his English was pretty darned good. Maybe there is the occasional word that he's not familiar with. But he felt that his English wasn't up to the task. :think:

He ought to hear my Swedish! :lol:
One example of democracy in action is 5 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.--Anonymous

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:08 am

As his "quote" is not given any context within the broader conversation that was taking place, I'm not 100% sure he was specifically referring to LMI. You need to be very careful with assuming such things when given no idea what TA was talking about at the time.
I have no time for LMI and think it was an example of very lazy conceptualisation and visualisation, if any actually took place at all. But I'm equally weary of lazy journalism.

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:58 pm

As much as I don't blame him if he did think that way ("dishonest" fits Let Me In and Matt Reeves to a t) Alfredson has recently said that he's no longer bothered by LMI and is willing to give it a chance, so...yeah, I'm thinking that this is taken out of context.

I am very curious though as to what Alfredson will think when he does see LMI.
No banaaaanas?

Makalli

Post by Makalli » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:28 am

CyberGhostface wrote:I am very curious though as to what Alfredson will think when he does see LMI.
I'd pay more money to watch Alfredson watch LMI than I would to actually watch LMI. :D
Döden besökte mig i morse. Vi spelar schack tillsammans.

Return to “Media”