JAL's new novella 'Verkligheten' releases May 2

Links to interviews, trailers and other media
Siggdalos

JAL's new novella 'Verkligheten' releases May 2

Post by Siggdalos » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:30 pm

https://www.johnajvidelindqvist.com/article.php?id=144
VERKLIGHETEN IS UNLEASHED IN MAY

John's book Verkligheten ["Reality"] will arrive on May 2. This somewhat shorter book is 150 pages long and the fantastic cover has as usual been made by Alexander Jansson who've made many of John's earlier covers. The book is already available for pre-order from Adlibris and Bokus.

It starts with a dying fly on a windowsill. Lying on its back, it struggles with its legs in the air. The next moment it's gone.

Heidi Hallberg is the star in the popular reality show "Home with the Hallbergs" which also includes her husband, two children and a stepdaughter. The disappearing fly is the first sign that something is wrong - that glitches and hacks have begun to appear in the weave of reality.

As the day continues under constant camera supervision, Heidi becomes more and more doubtful toward the realism of her own life.

Her hand goes straight through a solid door, stairsteps change height. What is true? Are her husband and children even hers?

Eventually she is forced to accept that her entire "reality" could in fact be a simulation.

"Verkligheten" is the horror version of all of the shows streaming daily on our screens. A pitch-black comedic confrontation with the modern day's version of realism. What does constantly performing rather than living do to a person and a family?

danielmann861

Re: JAL's new novella 'Verkligheten' releases May 2

Post by danielmann861 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:54 am

Siggdalos wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:30 pm
https://www.johnajvidelindqvist.com/article.php?id=144
VERKLIGHETEN IS UNLEASHED IN MAY

John's book Verkligheten ["Reality"] will arrive on May 2. This somewhat shorter book is 150 pages long and the fantastic cover has as usual been made by Alexander Jansson who've made many of John's earlier covers. The book is already available for pre-order from Adlibris and Bokus.

It starts with a dying fly on a windowsill. Lying on its back, it struggles with its legs in the air. The next moment it's gone.

Heidi Hallberg is the star in the popular reality show "Home with the Hallbergs" which also includes her husband, two children and a stepdaughter. The disappearing fly is the first sign that something is wrong - that glitches and hacks have begun to appear in the weave of reality.

As the day continues under constant camera supervision, Heidi becomes more and more doubtful toward the realism of her own life.

Her hand goes straight through a solid door, stairsteps change height. What is true? Are her husband and children even hers?

Eventually she is forced to accept that her entire "reality" could in fact be a simulation.

"Verkligheten" is the horror version of all of the shows streaming daily on our screens. A pitch-black comedic confrontation with the modern day's version of realism. What does constantly performing rather than living do to a person and a family?
I'm kind of curious if this will get an English translation or not. Or if it will be like Tjärven and remain in Swedish.

Apart of me was tempted to buy it from Book Depository. How reliable is Google Translate for Swedish? :lol:

Siggdalos

Re: JAL's new novella 'Verkligheten' releases May 2

Post by Siggdalos » Mon May 23, 2022 6:15 pm

danielmann861 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 3:54 am
I'm kind of curious if this will get an English translation or not. Or if it will be like Tjärven and remain in Swedish.
Tjärven was a pretty special case due to the ways in which it was released (ebook+audiobook, then a printed version in a short story collection that'll never get a translation since it's mostly stories that were first published in various English anthologies). I can't think of any reason Verkligheten wouldn't at least be considered for an English release since it's a regular book (albeit one that's much shorter than usual), but I don't know what criteria the English-language publishers have for that.
danielmann861 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 3:54 am
How reliable is Google Translate for Swedish? :lol:
Quite good for the most part, I think.
I decided to skip this book (for now, at least) since the concept doesn't sound that interesting to me, so I admittedly don't know if there are any difficult-to-translate details in the plot or in the way it's written.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Return to “Media”