Confirmed: New limited edition of Let the Right One In

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
CyberGhostface

Re: Confirmed: New limited edition of Let the Right One In

Post by CyberGhostface » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:49 pm

My copy came in today. Posting a few pictures under the cut just in case anyone wants to see it for themselves when they get theirs.

Also one thing from the introduction that perked my interest...

JAL has apparently been thinking about the idea of a LTROI sequel featuring Oskar and Eli as well as the couple from Let the Old Dreams Die. The title would be 'Until My Mouth Dries'. He's still unsure about it given how sequels usually are but it's still something fun to ponder.
No banaaaanas?

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:50 pm

Arrived a few days ago. Not too shabby.
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:17 pm

CyberGhostface wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:49 pm
Also one thing from the introduction that perked my interest...

JAL has apparently been thinking about the idea of a LTROI sequel featuring Oskar and Eli as well as the couple from Let the Old Dreams Die. The title would be 'Until My Mouth Dries'. He's still unsure about it given how sequels usually are but it's still something fun to ponder.
He's mentioned this idea a couple times before. In the afterword to his 2016 Swedish short story anthology Våran hud, vårat blod, våra ben (containing, among others, the Swedish version of What Kept You So Long?), he wrote that should he ever write another vampire story, the only remaining line from Morrissey's Let the Right One Slip In that he would want to use is "Until my mouth dries".

In the 2018 seasons greetings post, he wrote:
johnajvide wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:58 pm
I actually also have the embryo for a proper follow-up to Let the right one in, not a short story but a full novel. First I want to write "The Kindness", and then a novel based on structure of the video game "Forbidden Siren" which will be kalled "Värdet" ("The Value"). But after that I just might return to Oskar and Eli, in the present day. We´ll see.
johnajvide wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:09 pm
Just to set the matter straight: if I ever write the follow-up to LTROI it will be called "Until my mouth dries".
And in an interview with the Swedish podcast Udda ting from April 2019, he again mentioned that he'd "finally gotten a proper idea" for a sequel novel but that it might be a mistake to write one. (It's at the 31:00 mark.)

Does the introduction say anything else interesting? I'm always interested in reading JAL's interviews and forewords and the like, but I don't think I'm willing to buy this version of the book just for that.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:23 pm

He talks about how it was starting out as a writer, some early story ideas and how different publishers rejected LTROI. I wouldn’t get the book just for the introduction to be honest.
No banaaaanas?

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:55 pm

Alright, thanks.

I have thought about getting the English translation of the book, if only because it might be helpful in discussions on this forum and to see how the translation differs from the original, but I don't particularly like Bud Cook's illustrations (specifically his interpretations of Oskar and Eli), aside from the image of Håkan and the snake. On the other hand, getting the English versions of LTODD and WKYSL in the same volume would be pretty convenient. Gah, I dunno.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:05 pm

I like Cook’s Eli but I wish Oskar was either fat like he’s described in the book or with the hairdo from the film. Cook uses models for his art so that might be a factor though.
No banaaaanas?

Hassildor

Post by Hassildor » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:56 am

Mine just arrived!! :D

Thanks for the heads up about this Cyber, and congrats on your numbered edition. Hope you get your hands on that one soon!

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:07 am

Thanks! I will try to post some pics when it comes in. It might be another month or so.

On a related note people I know from other sites are reading LTROI for the first time with this and the reactions have been very positive so far. Always nice to see more people ‘infected’.
No banaaaanas?

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:52 am

Beautiful! Arrived Today. Always wanted a Hardcover Edition and now I have one to sit next to the rest of his books (that I also have in hardcover format)

Worth every dollar.

andmker

Post by andmker » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:40 pm

Mine arrived today.

Never thought I would ever pay so much for a book but totally worth it 👌

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”