Seasons greetings no. 11

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
johnajvide

Seasons greetings no. 11

Post by johnajvide » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi, all;

It´s quite late in the evening, and we´re just wrapping up the final preparations for christmas, which is ... wrapping things up. I´ve snuck out to my little house (10 sq meters) to devote myself to yet another seasons greeting to continue the tradition.
As always, I am amazed that quite a few of you still hang around. I visit every now and then to see what you´re up to. The subject of the "Eliverse" is a fun one. Always when I write a story, I must take in consideration whether this story maybe takes place in the same universe as one of the others. Almost always they don´t.
This year, I have devoted quite a lot of time to stories for other forums. I have written yet another version of a TV-script for Little Star, still uncertain if anything will come of that. Made some revisions on the script for the movie Handling the undead, which actually might happen, with a great young female director.
I have written a play, "De Obehöriga". Hard to translate, but roughly "The Unauthorized". It was a great success, all the tickets to all the performances (30+) sold out on the first day. And a lovely play it was. Very, very funny. I worked closely together with the actors and the director, rewrote and rewrote. It was a challenging and rewarding experience, my best one with the theater so far.
Last year in Cuba, and this autumn I have been writing The Kindness. I am now on page 630, with maybe 70 more to go. I usually don´t say that my latest book is my best, since it´s always been Little Star that has the number one spot for me, but with The Kindness that might change. It´s a big, fat beauty, in my opinion. Out in Sweden spring 2021.
The final week in Cuba last year I also started to write The Pigs, and completed it when we came home. It´s 80 pages of complete debauchery, absolutely disgusting, but also great fun. As you might know, I always read aloud to my wife what I have written. In our almost 20 years together doing this, with The Pigs she said maybe halfway through: "I don´t want to hear any more!". This is a first time. My ambition with The Pigs was to write swedish hardcore hillbilly horror and, yeah, I think I succeeded. It will probably be published seperately, with illustrations. Oh, I can just see the illustrations!
And that´s about it. A very secret and very big project is looming on the horizon and if I get to do that it will take up a lot of my time in the future. As Erasure says: "I´m crazy flowing over with ideas."
I know that Quercus and Text will be publishing the final part of the "Places"-trilogy, I think next year. So "I am behind you" and "I always find you" will be concluded with "I am the Tiger" making my ABBA-homage complete.
Right now playing the remake of Resident Evil 2, watching Please like me, both highly recommended. Reading Leonardo Padura in spanish to get inte the Cuban vibe, and Thomas of Aquinos Summa Theologica because I always wanted to do that. 4400 pages of scholasticism.
And with that I leave you, and my little house where the pages keeps pouring out on a daily basis. I wish you the happiest of holidays, and if you want to get in the christmas spirit, I recommend "I´m gettin nutting for christmas" with Shirley Temple.
All the best to you.

John

CyberGhostface

Re: Seasons greetings no. 11

Post by CyberGhostface » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:19 pm

Nice to hear you think Little Star is your best, it’s my favorite of yours and one I always recommend. Hope the tv series comes out.

The Pigs sounds interesting, seeing you write hillbilly horror should be a lot of fun. Hope it gets a quick US release.
No banaaaanas?

Microwave Jellyfish

Post by Microwave Jellyfish » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:20 am

So good to see this forum and John's greetings (hey man!) still being a thing.

Finally scored a Swedish copy of LTROI (novel) a couple of weeks ago. It's going to be my first major read in a language I don't technically speak - really should've had a go at it about ten years ago with a full-on Infection and a lot more free time on my hand, but hey. Really excited to re-visit it in its purest form.

Take it easy guys, have a good one.
And we danced, on the brink of an unknown future, to an echo from a vanished past.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:48 am

So great to see that JAL is overflowing in creativity and working so hard. Looking forward to whatever comes our way in the U.S.

Tackling the Summa Theologica... :shock: ...I'm staring at it on my bookshelf right now! :D

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:33 am

Very timely, as I was just beginning my third reading of Little Star. Good to hear that you're still exercising that amazing brain of yours. Just don't overdo it. (Summa Theologica? :shock: )
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Unconditional

Post by Unconditional » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:20 am

Waited almost a year for this. Good to see it's going well for you! :)
For me it's more real than most of what's going on

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:38 am

Thanks for the wealth of information. Best to you and yours. :wub:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:22 am

Hej, John. Nice to hear from you, again. I really hope the Handling the Undead film makes it to the screen this time, and that it's sold outside of Sweden :D

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

intrige

Post by intrige » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:42 pm

It is always good to hear from you John, happy holidays to you and ypur family. And veryone else here too! God Jul :D
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

be-me-a-little

Post by be-me-a-little » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:01 pm

Wonderful as always to hear from you, John. Very exciting news about Little Star and I am quite glad to hear of the possibility of the Handling The Undead movie!

Always best to you and yours, and always a blessing to hear from you.
perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”